The Ford Interceptor

Looks like that clay model from the Bold Moves video is an unfinished version of this. The roof line on the video was the only thing complete. My first thought was if the 427 made it to production, then this is the first reskin. Someone beat me to that comment though. I like this, but the 427 front would look better. I'm on the fence about the Lincoln MKR, but this is beautiful. Is that the MKS show car fender port on the side?

I also hope that the Panhard rod is a police only option and the production model gets an I.R.S. This could replace the Crown Vic, but the 500 should be sold along side of this for those looking for a more down to earth car. I don't really like the name Interceptor, but I dont hate it either. Fairlane would be better. With a 5.0L engine the name Five Hundred would fit this better.

post-18828-1167577849_thumb.jpg

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess this is the *4 door Mustang* I was hearing about. Maybe we'll see a performance version of this vehicle in the future. Someone chop those back doors off, I want to see a coupe. Show us the next Thunderbird! GM will have the Camaro and Corvette in the near future. The Mustangs are still hott, its time for a different look though. Any challengers on the photochop?

Looks good, but I wonder how much its going to be watered down if they bring it into production, I live some of the details like the "ports" on the side of the fenders and headlights. The front end isn't bad, but its not that great. The roof looks awfully low and reminds me of the 300C. I love the blue color its in.

Just build the damn thing!

Everybody keeps bringing up the 300, but you do realise that the 427 concept came out before the 300, right?

I was thinking the same thing. Ford didn't copy the 300. Chrysler just had the balls to build it and Ford didn't. I like the rear of the Interceptor. It is a nice update of the '70 Galaxie. The front end hasn't grown on me yet. I still like the 427 nose better.

I got the press release last night and decided to wait and have another look at it this AM.

If this sort of car had been out for a couple of years already and was on a second styling generation, I think it would seem fresh and exciting. As it is, it seems sadly like a 300 redeux, as the single most notable thing about it is the short greenhouse, which is make pretty obvious by the slab sides. At least to the non-enthusisast observer. Having said that, and realizing that either the mustang greenhouse has been used wholesale on the much larger concept, or having been reduced from what is now being used, if they made the beltline a bit lower the sides still work. The front and rear overhangs speak of a classic and handsome proportion, the rear of the car looks like the most thought about domestic rear treatment in a LONG time. Shame that the liftover looks to be a non starter, and the cut lines for a trunk would just kill it. Good on them for the side to side strip that makes it look much shorter visually than anything out there with the exception of the Challenger. Its an easy trick, wonder why more don't use it. The lights are gorgeous!

The front is squircle overload however. If you need an example of using a theme shape with taste(and restraint), think the last Lexus SC 300/400 and the hood/front. This is just over done and the thick grill bars make it worse for the same reason the thin one on the rear works. The bulge is just that a bulge. More work needed on both the idea and the excecution. Look to the 96-98 SVT COBRA hood for an example of a power bulge done right. I would ask them to send the front for a rethink, perhaps a little taper to the nose would help.

I like it overall, and if it was going into production this June, I think it would stand a chance of restablishing Ford in the large sedan field as a styling leader. As it is, those who don't remember the 427(pretty safe to assume thats a lot of people) will assume its a ripoff of the 300, and pan it just because. Call it the unintended consequences of NOT following through on a styling exercise.

As for using the Cammer, thats just disgusting. That motor was announced years ago with a bunch of hooey about "patented spray bore technology" and that also was bunk as this is an iron sleeve engine. They choose to let the Mod die on the vine from lack of development(the 3 valve Stang/truck engine is an example vs the 550 horse Grand-Am 5 litre engine). If they had put the kind of attention into the Mod that the 4 valve GT heads and the 2000 COBRA "R" showed was possible, we wouldn't be waiting on an entirely old/new H/B engine series now to save the company. Don't forget the compromise that they made with the Mod series by trying to make it fit ever damm thing they make, whether it used it or not. That didn't work very well.

That car is truly amazing. FINALLY a very tasteful FULL SIZED SEDAN. I loved the 427 and the way that the styling cues carried in to the Fusion. If they can carry this into a full sized sedan for the right money with the right engine this car would DESTROY the overhyped garbage box 300C.

I LOVE THIS CAR!

I love it for the most part. I like it even BETTER than the 427 concept. I think the front grille would look better with actual chrome, and it would also benefit from using just TWO bars rather than three because the three bars are just plain too big. I love the headlights. They're stacked like a 1967 Galaxie 500 or Fairlaine 500.

The rear end could use some work. It needs some more character. The front end also needs some more rake or something. It is too square and wedge right now. It's a GREAT start. The profile is amazing. It took my breathe away. I actually LOVED it on first glance. Great sign.

WIth a few touch ups on the details, this car could be fantastic. DON'T DROP THE BALL FORD!

Finally, DROP AN IRS UNDER IT, FORD. Man, I'm really getting sick of Ford using live axles on their sweet cars. Mustang has always used it, and it's use for drag racing .. but really - the Interceptor too? That's pathetic. It NEEDS an IRS to compete with the 300. Otherwise, it'll get eaten alive.

The first thing that I thought when I saw the car was BATMAN .. yes, seriously - no joke. That's a good thing though. It reminds me of a car that a modern Batman would drive as funny as that sounds. Good thing.

Edited by SVT_MAN

If Ford were smart, and if they were to invest in FLEX at STAP, they would continue to build the CV with modest updates for fleet use, and keep the Interceptor strictly retail.

I dont see what is really wrong with the panter platform, it dates back to 1979 or so and has worked very well the limo and taxi and fleet buyers seem to love them. I do love the new concept but it needs to be as big inside as the current panther platform. To the people who love the 300c and all it is a great mid-size car. I cant understand why people call the 300c a full size car... whats next in 30 years a Ford Focus is considered a full size? I like my cars big and my women bigger!!! :shades:

I have to agree that they need to raise the greenhouse some, but I love the look of the C-pillars design on this concept. it's there that seperates it the most from the 300's outdated look ( sorry I had to mention that ) from the side angled view.

And while we're at it, did anyone noticed how different both vehicles are from one another? Speaking of both the Mustang'd based Lincoln MKR, and the Ford Interceptor.

I feel that ford has done a great job in this department of seperating the 2 design languages apart from one another.

Everybody keeps bringing up the 300, but you do realise that the 427 concept came out before the 300, right?

You do realise that the 427 concept was introduced at the 2003 North American International Auto show and the 300 pre-production vehicle was introduced less then 4 months later at the NY Auto Show? Do you think for a second Chrysler ripped off Ford and in a 3 month period and came out with a production vehicle in that amount of time?

Anytime anyone says DC ripped off the 427, I just have to shake my head. The 300 was styled and completed long before the 427 was even a thought. I love the 427 and all, but I'm not kidding myself. If anything, the true "first" in the "new age of RWD sedans" was the HEMI Super-8 concept which was built on the yet to be released LX architecture at the 2001 NAIAS. It featured the low roof, high belt-line, V8 RWD sedan that would later become the LX trio. It was a wild "teaser" of what was already know to be coming a couple years down the road.