Lincoln MKR

Makes everything else on the road look absolutely ancient by comparison, especially the 300 which has turned into a fleet queen due to overproduction by DCX.

If the production car keeps the basics from the concept, they have a winner.

The production car will certainly have a V8 (since this is based on the Mustang platform) but I guess the engine in the concept is foreshadowing the MKS engine (not at that HP though).

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Makes everything else on the road look absolutely ancient by comparison, especially the 300 which has turned into a fleet queen due to overproduction by DCX.

If the production car keeps the basics from the concept, they have a winner.

The production car will certainly have a V8 (since this is based on the Mustang platform) but I guess the engine in the concept is foreshadowing the MKS engine (not at that HP though).

actually the 415hm from the TT D35 is right in line with the rumors we have been hearing about the TT program (we heard 420 before).

This will not have any other V8 but the BOSS engines - so if this debuts before those engines - it will debut only with a V6. Why would they have a 300hp V8 if they have a 415hp V6?

Also - it is possible the V6 in there is already the D37 not D35 ... the text I could make out from the scans was not clear on that.

Igor

So, in creating a luxury car, Ford ignores the luxury brands of Lexus, Acura, Cadillac, Audi, and Infinity, and instead tries to copy the semi-luxury brand of Chrysler, whose cars, admittedly, are probably already consuming the majority of buyers for that type of vehicle.

Not to mention all the people who called these type of designs "fads" with the LX cars are now doing a U-turn... lol.

Anyway, if the front end looks closer to Igor's version then this is a potential purchase for me.

Edited by pcsario

Taken from CSS:

I think the front end is awesome, just the kind of distinction that Lincoln needs. The rear may need a little more detail, but this is early in the process. This car would draw lots of attention for Lincoln and the lucky buyer who gets one.

It's a Ford - I'll pay attention when the production model actually hits the showroom floor.

On a related note, calling it an MKR is absolutely meaningless to me, and to the market at large. I still have no idea what any of the new names mean other than the LT (To me, it means Lincoln Truck)

Now if they called it the Lincoln Mark IX, then everyone would know what it is. Unfortunately, the new management thinks they are smarter than everyone that came before them.

BETTER IMAGES:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/12/22/ear...ln-mkr-concept/

Also it seems that Car And Driver scored pictures of the ACTUAL concept - this is not Artist impression of some leaked info on the concept - this IS the concept coming to NAIAS - this should settle part of the discussion...

Igor

Edited by igor

Not feeling the Lincoln part, but it would be the high end "Mercury Mustang" that would have people lined up outside the L/M dealerships for months on end....imagine, ADM's at Mercury!

I would kill to know how close to production that engine really is.

Fusion SVT anyone? Any idea on just how strong the AWD system is?

For what it's worth, there is no naturally aspirated V8 that will fit in the platform and make the timing required. The Modular V8 is too big and they cancelled the Yamaha narrow angle (60 deg.) V8 for cost reasons. The V6 TT is all that was left. Fuel economy was another reason for killing the V8.

Not feeling the Lincoln part, but it would be the high end "Mercury Mustang" that would have people lined up outside the L/M dealerships for months on end....imagine, ADM's at Mercury!

I would kill to know how close to production that engine really is.

Fusion SVT anyone? Any idea on just how strong the AWD system is?

the TT was approved as an optional engine for the MKS - it is ready .. DONE .. we already knew they have been getting 420hp out of it.

The SVT Fusion/MKZ etc were to have the TT in them, but apparently Ford has been having trouble fitting the TT in the CD3 engine bay ... the most recent rumor indicates that if they do not resolve the packaging problem, they will instead turbo a D30 (not clear whether the current one or the D35 base one). If that proves a dead end, they always have the MZR23DISI from Mazdaspeed6 to turn to.

Igor

This is an aggressive concept, let's hope some semblance makes it to production within 2 years. My Mark VIII still feels plenty powerful to me on the highway, I can't believe the price of admission has gone from 280 RWHP all the way to the mid 400's in 10 years, but it is true. What's next, 600 HP electric cars?

For what it's worth, there is no naturally aspirated V8 that will fit in the platform and make the timing required. The Modular V8 is too big and they cancelled the Yamaha narrow angle (60 deg.) V8 for cost reasons. The V6 TT is all that was left. Fuel economy was another reason for killing the V8.

This is a Mustang platform. A Boss will fit if it's needed.

the TT was approved as an optional engine for the MKS - it is ready .. DONE .. we already knew they have been getting 420hp out of it.

The SVT Fusion/MKZ etc were to have the TT in them, but apparently Ford has been having trouble fitting the TT in the CD3 engine bay ... the most recent rumor indicates that if they do not resolve the packaging problem, they will instead turbo a D30 (not clear whether the current one or the D35 base one). If that proves a dead end, they always have the MZR23DISI from Mazdaspeed6 to turn to.

Igor

They are packaging the Mazda engine for production in the Fusion.

This is a Mustang platform. A Boss will fit if it's needed.

They are packaging the Mazda engine for production in the Fusion.

I've heard differently, Mazda asked ford if they wanted to design capacity for a 3.7L that they were working on, and Ford refused, so now Ford is having to design their own 3.7L that's different. Also thats not the version thats going into the Fusion either.

I've heard differently, Mazda asked ford if they wanted to design capacity for a 3.7L that they were working on, and Ford refused, so now Ford is having to design their own 3.7L that's different. Also thats not the version thats going into the Fusion either.

Are you talking MKS or MKR?

And so it came to pass that Lincoln, with its life on the line had new breath forced into its old lungs...

Target Customer folks, this is how you drive sales. I could care less how many *insert favorite FoMoCo vehicle here* Ford sells. A Target Customer is > 75% chance of selling that particular product, that's pretty much guaranteed REPEAT business. Granted REPEAT business in the car world STARTS at 24 months, its nice to find solace in that even the beancounters will be happy (who cares about them).

This is profitability and the future staring at you in the face folks, this is it! Enjoy the ride...

Posted this in another thread already but -

Am I seeing things or does that Lincoln coupe have small rear suicide doors? I guess it could just be a sheetmetal seam, but that seems an awkward place for one, no?

Anyway, that new grill rocks. I mean its original and bold. I also notice the car keeps with the trend in Lincoln concepts where they tend to have a defined crease surrounding the front fascia that seperates it from the sides of the fenders. I recall that wacky SUV/Car thing from a couple years back as well as the Mark IX having the same styling feature. And perhaps that T-Bird based concept did too - can't recall for sure on that one. Anywa, I like that look, and I wish they'd bring it to production.

Let me break down my reaction to it:

The Good

-The RWD

-The engine

-The side profile

The Bad

-The rims are absolutely atrocious

The Questionable

-The front and rear end styling

I don't know how I feel about the front and back ends. The character "shoulder" line sucks... not very well integrated. The grill is WAY too big, and the back end looks disjointed, almost. Other than that, I like the stance and other general proportions.