Lincoln MKR

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

lincoln%20mkr%20photos.jpg

CLICK HERE TO READ THE ARTICLE AND SEE PHOTOS.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Taken from CSS:

Along with the new Jaguar C-XF, on the main cover of the new Car and Driver was the new Lincoln MKR Concept. The claim is that THIS is the new design language of Lincoln. Peter Horbury, Ford's Executive director of design promises that the styling elements will stay relevant even in filtered production form.

Additonal info for the concept:

- Twin-turbocharged V-6 is based on Ford's new 3.5 Duratec engine which is already in production

-The platform is from the Mustang - streteched 5.8 inches but with a multilink independent rear suspension instead of a solid rear axle

original.jpg

Lincoln MKR

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2004:

TCC: Ford has taken a lot of hits for the conservative design of the Five Hundred, compared to competitors like Chrysler, with its stylish 300. Is that fair?

PETER HORBURY:

If you walk into the room playing a trumpet, everyone will pay attention, but after a while, they all get sick of the noise.

A quote heavily praised by the LX haters here.

Hmmm, don't know what words to use, but let's get the simple things out. 415HP is awesome, about time, but what are the chances it'll be that high...350HP might sound pausible.

As for styling...well it IS shocking, can't say I love it, can't say I hate it. I would refine some front details a bit. DOn't like the midline hump in the very center of the front hood/fascia. The rear doesn't do anything for me, and the color they showed I dislike. Maybe black. But my motto has always been "If a car is ugly, get black so it hides it"...

BUT overal, I SEE where they are going, it just needs more refining...

Mark-R? MARKER ?!!! What are they thinking !!

I like it... but that is also knowing that sketches always have exagerated features of concept cars ... then the concept car will be an exageration of the production car and hopefully by the time we actually get a production car the exagerated features are brought into proportion with the rest of the car and you end up with a well styled package...

... I like the old continental grill but so far i'm not real impressed with the modern interpitations of it...

Hmmm, don't know what words to use, but let's get the simple things out. 415HP is awesome, about time, but what are the chances it'll be that high...350HP might sound pausible.

As for styling...well it IS shocking, can't say I love it, can't say I hate it. I would refine some front details a bit. DOn't like the midline hump in the very center of the front hood/fascia. The rear doesn't do anything for me, and the color they showed I dislike. Maybe black. But my motto has always been "If a car is ugly, get black so it hides it"...

BUT overal, I SEE where they are going, it just needs more refining...

Mark-R? MARKER ?!!! What are they thinking !!

There are 400+ HP mules being tested.

Edited by Blue II

Hmmm.... A car that makes half of the people say AWESOME and half of the people say WTF?

Target customer folks.

I'll be the first to say it looks like the new Edsel incarnate, but kudos to Lincoln for finally growing a set and putting something that has some semblance of style out there. Love it or hate it...the "love it" guys are the target and they might as well target a niche as opposed to attempting to target everyone with a bland, vanilla vehicle. Incite some passion....it works. Especially in a low-volume brand such as Lincoln.

Edited by Intrepidatious

So, in creating a luxury car, Ford ignores the luxury brands of Lexus, Acura, Cadillac, Audi, and Infinity, and instead tries to copy the semi-luxury brand of Chrysler, whose cars, admittedly, are probably already consuming the majority of buyers for that type of vehicle.

So, in creating a luxury car, Ford ignores the luxury brands of Lexus, Acura, Cadillac, Audi, and Infinity, and instead tries to copy the semi-luxury brand of Chrysler, whose cars, admittedly, are probably already consuming the majority of buyers for that type of vehicle.

I do not think this is a copy of Chrysler ...

it is throwback, the way the Cadillac A&S language is throwback (rear wings, vertical lights etc are all present on the new Caddis). This is a SKETCH of a concept - it will be radically toned down by the time it is in production.

I for one see very little resemblance with any Chryslers, except maybe Imperial (because of the suicide doors).

Igor

I do not think this is a copy of Chrysler ...

it is throwback, the way the Cadillac A&S language is throwback (rear wings, vertical lights etc are all present on the new Caddis). This is a SKETCH of a concept - it will be radically toned down by the time it is in production.

I for one see very little resemblance with any Chryslers, except maybe Imperial (because of the suicide doors).

Igor

I don't think anyone necessarily meant it was a copy of any Chrysler, just that it was more of a love-it-or-hate-it type of style like the LX cars from Chrysler. Are we sure this is a "sketch" or photoshop? I think the front-view looks a little computer generated, but what about the interior shots and picture of the tires? They look real to me. Did MT get an early photo shoot of the concept perhaps?

I LOVE the split grill, it hearkens back to early 40's Lincolns, and it's different from most of the 'badge' grill variations out there right now. I also find the front fender treatment interesting - it reminds me somewhat of FOE's direction as shown with the Iosis concept. I'd like to see more shots of the greenhouse to better see how he's aligining the passenger cabin with the fender areas. I'd also like to see a better rear shot, from these illustrations, the taillight treatment appears to be unresolved relative to the rest of the car, but it's hard to say for certain with only the single illustration. I want to see much more of the interior before I draw any conclusions, but perhaps if nothing else this design will point to a new approach that departs from the current 'twin pod' theme. Overall, very nice, and distinctive in a good way.

Here is a quick and dirty impression of more production ready front ..

just so we silence people who feel this is huge and over-exaggerated or whatever ...

Igor

Looks like a giant case of road rash in the offing. Think they'll throw in a bra as standard equipment?

Motor looks good. Car, ehh. Sorta a taller, chunkier, coupe version of the Cadillac vette with Mikado 'eyes'.