What is your favorite classic Ford car & truck

Three or four: A 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 three speed with the 351 interceptor special engine and the 1958 Thunderbird. Great cars, fast, modified, and good looking. Also had a 1972 Mercury Cougar convertible that was a great car. I will have to also put my current truck into the list: a 2007 Ford F150 King Ranch Supercrew with the 5.4 V-8, it is the copper color. Mert from Littleton, CO.

post-29746-1261970175_thumb.jpg

I know this choice will cause massive rude comments. But I always thought that this was a sharp car. In college I wanted one! It is more than just a Monarch in a Tuxedo - L-M did make a number of engineering changes to insure a quieter, smoother ride. They were well built cars as well. If they had used the upright backlight and 50/50 front seats from the get go as well as a new dashboard and quarter panels it would have sold like hot cakes.

• 3 weeks later...

'73 Ford Maverick Grabber, Orange w/ Black Decals preferred

'72-'73 Mercury Montego GT

'72 Ford Club Wagon

These were the cars from my childhood. It doesn't matter whether anyone else thought they were cool. When I was a little kid, my cousins all had Pintos and Volkswagens, or big 4-door sedans. Our Maverick and Mercury (I didn't know it had been a montego until I was an adult. We always simply called it the "Mercury") had cool styling, racing stripes, and V-8 motors. The Club Wagon was a retired church van that we bought when I was about 10 and kept forever. Something about the flat nose, spartan nature of the beast (begging for customization) and my unnatural attraction to vans just made me love it.

I will always hold a soft spot for the '88 Topaz (my first mercury), but I would never call it "cool".

Among cars I haven't owned:

64-65 Mercury Comet

'58 Mercury Monterey (If your going to drive an over-chromed, over-styled '50's car, why not drive THE over-chromed, over-styled '50's car!)

89-97 Cougar (Being born in '72, most of the stang cougars were retired by the time I really took intrest in cars. The aero-cat took Cougar from dowdy lounge-lizard that grandma drove to cool. The 89-97 were the best of the breed. I like T-birds from this era too.)

'92-96 Ford Bronco

'57 Ford Fairlane (It outsold the '57 Chevy)

Aerostar Eddie Bauer

And My 1996 Mercury Villager. Hands down, still-to-date, the BEST looking minivan ever produced.

Edited by WC Man

• 4 weeks later...

my favorite Ford body styles in order:

1969 mustang fastback(gotta have slats and wing)

2005 GT (looked even better than the 65 GT40)

2005 Mustang

1967 mustang fastback(torq-thrust-D wheels a must- Bullitt hooked me on mustangs)

1969 cougar eliminator(love that scoop/wing again required)

1956 F100 (best looking truck of all time- has to be low with stuffed fenderwells)

1956 T-Bird(needs torq-thrust-D wheels- saw a pic like that in a calender- beautiful car)

1966 XL- great taillamps/roofline-wish the 65 sidecrease woulda carried over those flat quarters

1969 galaxie 500 2 dr hdtp (had one- BEAUTIFUL dash/hated the lefthand radio though)

1972(?) Capri (german but just such a cute body style)

1980(?) Capri (love the body lines- but needs a mustang hatch instead of the bubble)

edit- just noticed I commented in here a yr and a half ago- heheh...

Edited by ford4v429

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-29746-1261970175_thumb.jpg

I know this choice will cause massive rude comments. But I always thought that this was a sharp car. In college I wanted one! It is more than just a Monarch in a Tuxedo - L-M did make a number of engineering changes to insure a quieter, smoother ride. They were well built cars as well. If they had used the upright backlight and 50/50 front seats from the get go as well as a new dashboard and quarter panels it would have sold like hot cakes.

No rude comments.....just a nod! I owned a 1975 Granada Ghia; Nice car!! I traded up to a 1979 Versailles. Nice driving and great looking car (I loved the roof line changes introduced with the 1979 model year)....lots of problems with the carburetor...but I really liked the car. If I had the space to accommodate another vehicle, I would really consider looking for a 1980 Versailles (original condition, restored or restoration project). LM4EVR, did you own one?

• 2 weeks later...

No rude comments.....just a nod! I owned a 1975 Granada Ghia; Nice car!! I traded up to a 1979 Versailles. Nice driving and great looking car (I loved the roof line changes introduced with the 1979 model year)....lots of problems with the carburetor...but I really liked the car. If I had the space to accommodate another vehicle, I would really consider looking for a 1980 Versailles (original condition, restored or restoration project). LM4EVR, did you own one?

I like the Versailles. In fact the Granada and Monarch along with it were among the best of the '70s. I especially liked the '78 redesign of the front of the Granada/Monarch.

However one of my favorite designs ever is the Lincoln Mark III from '68-'71.

• 2 months later...

My favorite trucks are the 78-79 F series, love that body style.

I prefer the older style grille on the 77 personally, followed by the 79 (square headlights) then the 78 (round headlights). I had a chance to buy a 78 two tone green SWB when I was in college. I can't remember why I passed on it. Ended up buying a POS 75 cutlass.

• 3 months later...

IMO, 1969 was the year that all cars looked the best. happy%20feet.gif

I agree! everything that year was pretty darn cool.

SADLY, at the Paris auto show a couple days ago, J.Mays answered a question on 'where does Mustang go from here?' in 2014... he made a comment about mustang being 'on track until about 1969'...ouch. I guess the 2014 wont be getting the little quarter windows/true fastback roofline :(

really the most disliked thing on our mustangs to me was the quarter windows- I pulled them and put in the flush louvers from Silverhorse Racing(same Ford puts in the CobraJet drag cars), think they really set off the roofline/make it look even more mustanglike...I still need to get a couple sets for the other 2 cars :) hopefully at a minimum the '14 will look more like the one Steve Mcqueen drove, but thinking they might be leaning more modern- hope they tread lightly/test the waters a bit before letting the guys that approved the 2010 rear bumper have another crack at it...very few liked the 2010 rearend/some(myself included) still hate it...obviously ford didnt gather input from enthusiasts before approving ideas...just hope they dont build another car as good as the late GTO with similar 'modern' styling.

Classic lines never go out of style- gimmics like 4 backup lights though? we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I guess it's a matter of age. The 80's trucks were the ones I grew up working with. Much like those who had the 60/70s muscle cars when they were in their 20's

That makes sense. I grew up with the 70's model. My brother had a 75 SWB F100 XLT Ranger and I drove a 76 custom work truck. The 77 was my absolute favorite. I was in high school from 78-80 so that probably accounts for it.

Yeah, I'm currently in the process of building my "dream" full size truck. I started with a 95 F-150 4x4 with the EFI 300 six, which is my all time favorite truck engine. I just finished swapping the sheet metal from an 86. Now I'm "de-rusting" the frame and recoating it. Next will be axles - I have a D44 TTB and 9" pair from the 86 truck that I'm going to rebuild with 4.10 gears and either a limited slip or locker in the 9", also will get an extra leaf in the rear spring packs and 2" longer springs up front. After that, the truck will get a ZF heavy-duty 5 speed overdrive manual transmission (5.72:1 1st gear) along with a computer for an '89 F-150 4.9L/4-speed, which seem to run alot more timing than the '95 4.9L/auto computer it has now. I also have a fresh rebuilt NP-208 t-case to go in it with the trans. After that, all that will be left is freshening up the interior. I can't wait till it's finished - I've wanted this one for a while now.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv