2020 Transit

Mulling over the 2020 Transit ordering guide....well, Encyclopedia Britannica ( 42 pages )...scratching my head on a couple of things. AWD is now avail...good. May not sell in huge numbers but a good "have". Diesel is now a 2.0...that's questionable IMO..then again its not avail on 54 body variants...( yeah, figure that one out ) And one BIGGIE is they have come back with the Crew Van...bout bloody time ( its a second row bench behnd the two front buckets in a Cargo van. 42 pages...let the nightmare continue....

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

I just saw a Transit Chassis with a pickup bed (more or less) at Home Depot as a rent a truck.   Looked very strange compared to the regular pickups they used to rent.  What's the advantage or difference?

I've tried repeatedly to rent the one my local HD has, to get some Transit "seat time", but it's always checked out. The rental counter guys refer to it as a "Vuck", try saying that 3 times quickly,,,,,

HRG

1 minute ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I've tried repeatedly to rent the one my local HD has, to get some Transit "seat time", but it's always checked out. The rental counter guys refer to it as a "Vuck", try saying that 3 times quickly,,,,,

HRG

Mine also had a regular Transit Van for rent.

4 hours ago, Deanh said:

Mulling over the 2020 Transit ordering guide....well, Encyclopedia Britannica ( 42 pages )...scratching my head on a couple of things. AWD is now avail...good. May not sell in huge numbers but a good "have". Diesel is now a 2.0...that's questionable IMO..then again its not avail on 54 body variants...( yeah, figure that one out ) And one BIGGIE is they have come back with the Crew Van...bout bloody time ( its a second row bench behnd the two front buckets in a Cargo van. 42 pages...let the nightmare continue....

While the 2.0 TD/10-speed has proven to be  a good replacement for the 3.2 I-5 TD/6-speed in the Ranger,
it does get caught out a bit at max loading, Perhaps Ford is only looking at Transit 2.0 TD in models  where
buyers will see a noticeable increase in economy numbers rather than the pure "grunt" of a bigger diesel.

LOL, all Ford's complaining about Fusion production variability (33,00 ways) seems so fake and empty when
Transit has a 42 page ordering guide with huge variability of build. IMO, just putting the skids under Fusion..

Deanh, get hold of a diesel if you can for a test drive, I was mighty impressed by this version's (single turbo)
ability to move weight, acceleration is no great shakes but still a good replacement for the old 3.2. but why no 3.0 V6 Powerstroke? Is Ford admitting that diesel is not a big player US Transit buyer's eyes?

Edited by jpd80

16 hours ago, jpd80 said:

While the 2.0 TD/10-speed has proven to be  a good replacement for the 3.2 I-5 TD/6-speed in the Ranger,
it does get caught out a bit at max loading, Perhaps Ford is only looking at Transit 2.0 TD in models  where
buyers will see a noticeable increase in economy numbers rather than the pure "grunt" of a bigger diesel.

LOL, all Ford's complaining about Fusion production variability (33,00 ways) seems so fake and empty when
Transit has a 42 page ordering guide with huge variability of build. IMO, just putting the skids under Fusion..

Deanh, get hold of a diesel if you can for a test drive, I was mighty impressed by this version's (single turbo)
ability to move weight, acceleration is no great shakes but still a good replacement for the old 3.2. but why no 3.0 V6 Powerstroke? Is Ford admitting that diesel is not a big player US Transit buyer's eyes?

along those lines...the 1.5 diesel in the Transit connect never saw the light of day....I swear...I see diesel death knolls...hybrids make more sense.....

21 hours ago, akirby said:

I just saw a Transit Chassis with a pickup bed (more or less) at Home Depot as a rent a truck.   Looked very strange compared to the regular pickups they used to rent.  What's the advantage or difference?

Just thinking about the typical use of Home Depot rental truck... it is generally being rented to move big bulky items not necessarily heavy loads. So Transit chassis maybe a better from a fleet operation standpoint. It probably does better MPG when hauling a single ficus tree or washer/dryer combo vs. F-150 (on the other hand, F-150 probably does better if you are hauling 1,000 lbs of bricks or towing a generator). And the aluminum tray will take the beating better than steel bed over time. 

5d239da62f0d692efc3c06f7.jpg

Edited by bzcat

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

Just thinking about the typical use of Home Depot rental truck... it is generally being rented to move big bulky items not necessarily heavy loads. So Transit chassis maybe a better from a fleet operation standpoint. It probably does better MPG when hauling a single ficus tree or washer/dryer combo vs. F-150 (on the other hand, F-150 probably does better if you are hauling 1,000 lbs of bricks or towing a generator). And the aluminum tray will take the beating better than steel bed over time. 

5d239da62f0d692efc3c06f7.jpg

The last truck I rented from Home Depot was a Super Duty to haul a....storm door

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

Lower bed height???

load height of a Transit Van is a mere 28 inches...even adding the bed onto a chasiss I would guess that's substantially lower than the same flatbed on an F series....

Edited by Deanh

48 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Tray back pick ups were quite popular in Australia before everyone fell in love with crew cabs
they are still the preferred version for tradesmen to carry all their tools and equipment.

2018-Ford-Ranger-XL-Hi-Rider-ute-white-m

yet to see and bodies on a Ranger Supercab chassis here....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

and Deanh, agree with you regarding diesel's future in vans, they would be better concentrating on
2.5 Hybrid in TC and the 3.3 V6 Hybrid in Transit -  those two would attract a lot more buyers....

sincerely would not be surprised to see Diesels eventually get hybrid replacements in the future either...Fords publicity stunt with the F150 kinda debunks any whims about capacity...albeit grandiose...

• Like 1