My ailing Fusion

Daniel C

Im new to the blue oval world as well as forums so I will try to be as complete as possible. My 2015 1.5L (I think) ecoboost is throwing a code, P1299. It goes into the Ford safety mode gage pegs hot, low power to no more than idle only shortly there after. Display shows engine overheat with some chimes. Did some investigation on internet and checked for low levels of antifreeze first. It was fine. Read about CHT sensor dove in and found location, just threaded nhole into head no sensor, no connector. Tried to replace ECT sensor since it was easily accessible. Pulled and replaced, oddly to me anyway no fluid came out. Did not fix after clearing code. Maybe thermostat, or water pump? I would appreciate any help, would love to get back on the road, car is a blast. 

Does it clear if you restart the vehicle immediately?  If so it’s probably a bad sensor.  If it really is overheating and it’s full of coolant then I would suspect the fans.  With the AC on high the fans should all be on (can’t remember if Fusion has 1 or 2).  If not replace the fans with an OEM unit which includes the controller.  Do not buy a Dorman.  Might be the thermostat but those are designed to fail open not closed.