Finally, In Person

I got a private preview of the local Dealers loaded Reserve.  The owner was going to take it for the night, but they thought there was a suspension problem (Does anyone read manuals these days)  Any how after the owner left, they discovered there wasn't a defect, but you had to select the drive mode again after playing with it.  Crisis averted, but owner had left for the day.  I knew it arrived earlier with the new explorers, so as I drove by, I spotted them moving an Explorer limited to the showroom.  OK, Right turn Clyde.  Went back and first salesman said no one was allowed in and they didn't have the key, the owner kept it.  So I drooled over the outside a bit, went in to have a look at the Explorer, next salesman wanted to sell me the Explorer, moments later the GM popped around the corner to say hello, asked what I was up to?  Said "Man I saw her on the side and just had to stop" too bad the owner took off with the keys".  What?  No, I have the keys he said.  I gave him the 220lb linebacker puppy eyes and he said "can't wait until tomorrow can you"  A quick nope and we were off to play.

I don't get to drive it until the owner takes it to show off to his friends, said I'd probably get it Monday for 24 hours????? Five smiles right there.  OK, so here is my impression of my first visit:  The top 10

1. Love at first sight, I am not a professional reviewer so forgive my articulation.

2. Did I say love at first sight yet?  Holy bat-mobiles it is really handsome in person, the pictures do not do it justice.  The new Explorer looks better than last years, but the Aviator will not be mistaken for its cousin.  

3. Next wow moment...SHUT THE DOOR...wow is it quiet, I could not hear a word outside or the traffic going by.  Compared to the Nautilus beside it, I could hear traffic faintly.  Inside the Aviator was like being in a sound booth where they check your hearing.

4  The 28 speaker stereo...They had not tuned the radio yet, so I took it upon myself to tune to the local classic rock station, what a treat to blast AC/DC.  The depth of field was amazing.  I can't wait to personalize mine.

5.  You'll fall in love with the sexy/handsome look  It was just a wow moment walking up to it.  It doesn't scream manly or feminine, it just screams look at me.

6. The steering wheel feels oh so sleek, sporty like.  It is smaller than the Gators and the push to talk button at the 10 o'clock position was long over due.  It just feels natural there.  

7.  The display seemed unobtrusive despite its size, I think it is some kind of designer trick.  When you are navigating the menus it seems huge, but sit back look a the road ahead and you barely notice it.  Maybe I'll notice it more when I live in it for 24 hours.

8.  It was 94 out and the A/C was refreshing cold almost instantly, but it should be right?  The engine noise was barely noticeable while revving the engine.

9.  The seats were the same as the 30 ways in the Gator, so yes they were very comfortable.  And the big test for me, was stretching my legs all the way straight without tangling in the pedals. 

10. The double pull to open the hood...no more searching for that secondary latch...genius!!!

The only negative thing about today was realizing it would be many more months until I get mine...at least I get this one early next week to rock and roll.  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, mustangchief said:

I got a private preview of the local Dealers loaded Reserve. .....

5.  You'll fall in love with the sexy/handsome look  It was just a wow moment walking up to it.  It doesn't scream manly or feminine, it just screams seductively whispers in my ear look at me.

Enjoyed your review, only had to "fix" one thing since Lincolns never scream at you.....lol

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

Had to go back and look at her again today, they parked her next to a Gator so I could compare.  The Aviator is in the approach or showroom height.  It seems a lot lower, but not so much at normal height.   It also makes the Gator styling appear old and boxy.  Heard one customer shopping Gators say "wow whats that?"

aviator.thumb.JPG.8da352d21dc62a55cdfb181274c6b71c.JPG

• Like 3

On 7/19/2019 at 10:15 PM, mustangchief said:

I got a private preview of the local Dealers loaded Reserve.  The owner was going to take it for the night, but they thought there was a suspension problem (Does anyone read manuals these days)  Any how after the owner left, they discovered there wasn't a defect, but you had to select the drive mode again after playing with it.  Crisis averted, but owner had left for the day.  I knew it arrived earlier with the new explorers, so as I drove by, I spotted them moving an Explorer limited to the showroom.  OK, Right turn Clyde.  Went back and first salesman said no one was allowed in and they didn't have the key, the owner kept it.  So I drooled over the outside a bit, went in to have a look at the Explorer, next salesman wanted to sell me the Explorer, moments later the GM popped around the corner to say hello, asked what I was up to?  Said "Man I saw her on the side and just had to stop" too bad the owner took off with the keys".  What?  No, I have the keys he said.  I gave him the 220lb linebacker puppy eyes and he said "can't wait until tomorrow can you"  A quick nope and we were off to play.

I don't get to drive it until the owner takes it to show off to his friends, said I'd probably get it Monday for 24 hours????? Five smiles right there.  OK, so here is my impression of my first visit:  The top 10

1. Love at first sight, I am not a professional reviewer so forgive my articulation.

2. Did I say love at first sight yet?  Holy bat-mobiles it is really handsome in person, the pictures do not do it justice.  The new Explorer looks better than last years, but the Aviator will not be mistaken for its cousin.  

3. Next wow moment...SHUT THE DOOR...wow is it quiet, I could not hear a word outside or the traffic going by.  Compared to the Nautilus beside it, I could hear traffic faintly.  Inside the Aviator was like being in a sound booth where they check your hearing.

4  The 28 speaker stereo...They had not tuned the radio yet, so I took it upon myself to tune to the local classic rock station, what a treat to blast AC/DC.  The depth of field was amazing.  I can't wait to personalize mine.

5.  You'll fall in love with the sexy/handsome look  It was just a wow moment walking up to it.  It doesn't scream manly or feminine, it just screams look at me.

6. The steering wheel feels oh so sleek, sporty like.  It is smaller than the Gators and the push to talk button at the 10 o'clock position was long over due.  It just feels natural there.  

7.  The display seemed unobtrusive despite its size, I think it is some kind of designer trick.  When you are navigating the menus it seems huge, but sit back look a the road ahead and you barely notice it.  Maybe I'll notice it more when I live in it for 24 hours.

8.  It was 94 out and the A/C was refreshing cold almost instantly, but it should be right?  The engine noise was barely noticeable while revving the engine.

9.  The seats were the same as the 30 ways in the Gator, so yes they were very comfortable.  And the big test for me, was stretching my legs all the way straight without tangling in the pedals. 

10. The double pull to open the hood...no more searching for that secondary latch...genius!!!

The only negative thing about today was realizing it would be many more months until I get mine...at least I get this one early next week to rock and roll.  

Sounds pretty much dead-on for what I experienced, my friend. I can't wait to get ours. And YES, I too noticed that the screen, despite it "sticking out like an iPad", didn't look or feel out of place. They certainly did it justice for more of a natural feel throughout the cabin. The smaller steering wheel, which I mentioned in my review, also rings true to my experience giving it more of a "sporty" feel. haha. In all, I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one who shared these very thoughts and "feels" when experiencing the new Aviator. We will be sure to share more notes before and after we get our cars. 

I am getting all sorts of positive comments on the look of the Aviator and most are like "I didn't realize that was a Lincoln, wow" or the typical, "Wow, this blows the Cadillac XT6 out of the water". Fun stuff... and funny... but true. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 10:15 PM, mustangchief said:

Oh, please be sure to share your experience when and if you get to drive it! I want to mostly hear about the Dynamic Handling Package's suspension system if it really adapts to "read or preview" the road ahead somewhat like the Mercedes-Benz system does. I am curious to see what type of effect it has on bumps and dips in the road for adjusting the adaptive dampers in a proactive way. Did you order yours with the Dynamic Handling Package?? Also, funny to hear about how they thought something was wrong with the suspension system. From me playing with the pre-production unit last month with the Dynamic Handling Package, it looks as if the suspension is very active and makes several adjustments depending on the weight load and has a set of features to automatically lower when the vehicle is approached and/or a setting to lower upon exit of the vehicle. I want to know more about those features/functions and how much can we customize in the system apart from the drive modes pre-selected heights. Yes, I'm a nerd!!! But I want it to be good money well spent. I've experienced all types of suspension systems and am hoping this one is "good". We shall see. 

Edited by AutomotiveAddicts

5 hours ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

Oh, please be sure to share your experience when and if you get to drive it! I want to mostly hear about the Dynamic Handling Package's suspension system if it really adapts to "read or preview" the road ahead somewhat like the Mercedes-Benz system does. I am curious to see what type of effect it has on bumps and dips in the road for adjusting the adaptive dampers in a proactive way. Did you order yours with the Dynamic Handling Package?? Also, funny to hear about how they thought something was wrong with the suspension system. From me playing with the pre-production unit last month with the Dynamic Handling Package, it looks as if the suspension is very active and makes several adjustments depending on the weight load and has a set of features to automatically lower when the vehicle is approached and/or a setting to lower upon exit of the vehicle. I want to know more about those features/functions and how much can we customize in the system apart from the drive modes pre-selected heights. Yes, I'm a nerd!!! But I want it to be good money well spent. I've experienced all types of suspension systems and am hoping this one is "good". We shall see. 

Yes, I ordered mine with everything but the rear seat entertainment.  95 percent of my rear passengers will be dogs, they only care if the window will open or not.  I'm curious to open the top also because my youngest dog likes to stand on the console and stick his head up in the X3.  It has a small airfoil to block the wind and he likes to get just behind it.  I've never shopped for a car where the salesmen new more, I've had the owners manual for a month looking over items people usually miss.  I love to have fun asking questions and seeing if I get the BS answer or they go find out.  I'm hoping to get it this week for a day, I'll find out tomorrow when my "Date Night" is.  Getting some video and audio of the features and creaks and groans is at the top of my list.  With the break in scheduling, I'm hoping they are tooling up for the Hybrid.  Next time you get near one, have them put it beside a Navigator, so you can look at both about the same time.  I think the Aviator dash has a cleaner appearance with better belt lines. JMO

19 hours ago, mustangchief said:

My Date night was today, but ended up working OOT, I have it reserved for Monday next week.

I guess you only get one edit, Got a text last night and was asked if I would like to trade Monday for ALL of next weekend (Saturday, Sunday and Monday)  Oh heck yes, I'll take her for 3 days.  I should be able to get some really good pics and videos.  

• Like 2