2020 Corvette revealed

akirby

It almost looks like something one would expect Alfa Romeo to make. I don't like the look of it at all, my first impression was to post that Darth Vader screaming "Nooooooo" again, but here's my serious take on it.

I think they are in danger of taking too much of the "Corvette-ness" out of it and alienating its fan base. This reminds me of the recent 007 news story. The new product may be great if we view it as an isolated event, but it is part of a tradition that has an established fan base and that fan base may not accept it.

It wont perform like a Corvette, be more expensive, and they didn't improve the way it looks.

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/gm-flexes-engineering-muscle-radical-corvette-overhaul

Corvette-MAIN_i.jpg

TUSTIN, Calif. -- One of the biggest challenges for the eighth-generation Corvette -- the first production model with the engine behind the driver -- doesn't have anything to do with how fast the car can reach 60 mph or carve up a corner.

The 2020 Corvette Stingray looks to be one of the most technically advanced vehicles General Motors has built since it tested the world's first fuel cell vehicle in 1966 and, five years later, built the propulsion and suspension system for the Lunar Rover that drove on the moon.

The new Corvette -- introduced here Thursday -- is a barometer of GM engineering in an era of rapidly changing technology. It will provide a strong test of GM's product development system, its testing and validation methods, and its quality control processes.

If the Corvette launches cleanly with no technical issues from adopting GM's new wire-reducing digital electrical architecture, its advanced lightweight, mixed-material chassis that uses die-cast aluminum parts made in an engine factory, the electric brakes and other innovations, it could bode well for GM as it pushes closer to production of fully autonomous vehicles, which will share some of the same technologies with the new Corvette.

And most important, the retooled Corvette's computer systems, and the speed at which they communicate internally and externally, will determine how seamlessly GM transitions to autonomous vehicles and the vast amount of data processing they require.
Nuts and bolts

GM will begin producing the 2020 Corvette late this year at its Bowling Green, Ky., plant. Since 2015, GM has invested $439 million to retool the factory to build the midengine Corvette. In addition to new production equipment, the plant is equipped with a new paint shop and a low-volume engine production facility called the Performance Build Center, which was previously in suburban Detroit.

"Corvette has always represented the pinnacle of innovation and boundary pushing at GM," GM President Mark Reuss said in a statement. "The traditional front engine reached the limit of its performance, necessitating the new layout. In terms of comfort and fun, it still looks and feels like a Corvette, but it drives better than any vehicle in Corvette history."

corvette_2_0.jpg

At the car's formal introduction late Thursday, at an old military aircraft hangar, Chevrolet officials ticked off a long list of high-tech items featured in the new Corvette.

They include:

A new version of Chevrolet's classic small-block V-8 engine. This one retains the 6.2-liter displacement of the previous motor, but has a new block that lowers the crankshaft an inch to mate to the transaxle. The layout helps improve handling, GM says. The naturally aspirated engine is rated at 495 hp and 470 pound-feet of torque. When the Corvette is equipped with an optional performance package, it can propel the car to 60 mph in less than 3 seconds -- the fastest base-model Corvette in history. GM did not mention any future engines in statements released before the media event. However, as part of the plant investment at Bowling Green, a new engine line for the twin-turbo "Blackwing" Cadillac V-8 has been installed. It's possible that higher-performance models of the Corvette could get a version of that engine.
    Chevrolet's first eight-speed dual-clutch transmission, a gearbox manufactured by Tremec, that allows the driver to shift the car manually or drive it as an automatic. "The performance shift algorithms are so driver-focused, they can sense when you are doing spirited driving, regardless of driving mode, and will hold lower gears longer for more throttle response," said Tadge Juechter, Corvette executive chief engineer. No manual transmission will be available at launch -- a first for the Corvette in decades.
    A reengineered suspension system that features coil over dampers, revised electric steering and the Corvette's first electric brake system, which eliminates the vacuum-powered brake booster. That has been replaced with an electronic unit that can be tuned and adjusted for different driving conditions. Other suspension features include a system that automatically raises the front of the car by about 1.5 inches to protect the lower bodywork from damage by potholes, speed bumps and steep driveways. It can be programmed to operate through GPS and can store as many as 1,000 locations.
    The digital vehicle platform that is the bedrock for GM's future electronics technologies. GM says it reduces wiring and allows for faster signal transmission between different vehicle systems. Vehicles that use the new electrical architecture can be updated via over-the-air programming, similar to how Tesla rolls out new model features.
    A chassis constructed using the mixed-material process introduced on the Cadillac CT6 and then used in high volume on the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups. With mixed materials, GM engineers use different metals of varying thicknesses in different parts of the chassis -- the right metal in the right amount in the right place. The approach reduces weight but increases strength. The new Corvette uses what GM calls the Bedford Six. They are six high-pressure, die-cast aluminum components that minimize the number of joints in the chassis. Fewer joints yields a stiffer body, which improves handling, especially under strenuous track conditions. The aluminum parts are made at GM's Bedford, Ind., powertrain plant.
    Significant weight savings from new materials. The front and rear tubs and dashboard are molded from ultralightweight fiberglass and proprietary resin. GM says the material is so light that it floats in water. The new Corvette also has a carbon-fiber curved rear bumper beam, an industry first, GM says. The lightest 2019 Corvette checked in at 3,298 pounds. The entry-level 2020 model is slightly heavier at 3,366 pounds.

All-new interior

The 2020 Stingray's midengine configuration gave GM design chief Mike Simcoe's team the opportunity to make the biggest changes to the Corvette -- inside and out -- since the car was introduced in 1953.

Simcoe says the new exterior design is inspired by fighter jets and Formula One race cars. But the car's aerodynamic shape also helped dictate the interior's styling. First, because there is no engine between the front wheels, the cockpit has been moved forward by 16.5 inches over the outgoing Corvette. Ultrathin air conditioning vents help lower the instrument cluster, which contains a 12-inch reconfigurable display.

.......................2020 Corvette ........2019 Corvette
Weight .............3,366 pounds ........3,298 pounds
Wheelbase ..........107.2 inches .......106.7 inches
Overall length .....182.3 inches ........176.9 inches
Overall width.........76.1 inches ..........73.9 inches
Overall height .......48.6 inches ..........48.8 inches
Turning circle .........38.05 feet............37.7 feet
 W/-FE4 package.....36.41 feet    
Headroom ............37.9 inches ..........37.9 inches
Legroom ..............42.8 inches .............43 inches
Shoulder room ......54.4 inches ..........55.2 inches
Hip room .............52.0 inches ...........53.7 inches
Cargo volume ..12.6 cubic feet............15.0 cubic feet

A long strip of buttons, between the seats on the center console, controls the seats, HVAC system and other items. Customers can choose from three types of seats, those designed for street driving to full-on competition seats for track use. The interior is decked out in cut-and-sew leather, real metal inlays, stainless steel speaker grilles and optional carbon-fiber trim.Unlike many other two-seat cars, the new Corvette has what appears to be reasonable cargo room -- and that could prove to be a major advantage over cramped roadsters and coupes battling for sales in a market that is shifting to SUVs, pickups and crossovers. The car has two trunks and can transport two golf bags or luggage. Cargo room totals 12.6 cubic feet.

corvette_3_0.jpg

corvette_4_0.jpg

37 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

It almost looks like something one would expect Alfa Romeo to make. I don't like the look of it at all, my first impression was to post that Darth Vader screaming "Nooooooo" again, but here's my serious take on it.

I think they are in danger of taking too much of the "Corvette-ness" out of it and alienating its fan base. This reminds me of the recent 007 news story. The new product may be great if we view it as an isolated event, but it is part of a tradition that has an established fan base and that fan base may not accept it.

It wont perform like a Corvette, be more expensive, and they didn't improve the way it looks.

Base model starts under $60K....

2 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

With Z51 package 0-60 is under 3 seconds. Base starts under $60k.  Looks are subjective - not completely in love with the side scoops - but will be better in a black car.  I will be waiting to see what the Z06 package has to offer before buying.

I don’t hate it at all. It looks like a mutt of a vehicle. Reminds me of a Camaro, has some nsx in it among some other styling cues that mimic other sports cars. I’m interested to see it in person. However, I like the current C7 looks better so far. 

Also, “most technologically advanced gm” that’s scary for the first year buyers. As I was reading the technology details, electric brakes, first time GM uses a DCT, new electrical architecture. This thing has bugs written all over it. They may beat BMW as far being in the shop. Gm wants to be European! 

Not to poo poo on the whole thing. I think it’s cool they took a chance. Grab the popcorn and let’s see what’s going to happen in the next year. 

• Like 1

The base price Under $60k sure shoots down everyone who said it would start over $100k. 

Sub 3 second 0-60 with Z51 package. 

No complaints here.  They knocked it out of the park. This is like when the NSX first came out. Supercar with a reasonable price. 

Its not terrible-

Things I don't like:
The button wall separating the passenger and driver...would look far better if it was part of the center console flat, instead of rasied

The black plastic egg crate design on the front and rear fascias looks tacked on and tacky

The pricing is impressive-cheapest mid engine car since the MR2 and Ferio LOL  

Lets see how the market reacts to it. My generation (Gen X) is starting to hit its prime with purchasing something like this. 

I'm curious how the performance compares to a Ford GT in real life. It certainly would be interesting to have a mid-engine vehicle at a fraction of the cost with similar performance and arguably better livability.  Sure the Ford GT is a "bespoke, rare limited edition vehicle" which adds to its allure and value.  But if the C8 offers performance in the same breath as the GT at 20% the cost, well............rarity could go out the window.  ...and that goes for Porsche, Ferrari, etc...

I'd love for Ford to make a vehicle like this that remains in production.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

Well the outside sure has Corvette/GM dna. Not bad looking at all. The inside is hideous. The row of raised buttons infringing an passenger seat is comical. I’m thoroughly surprised at the price. Mind you, they didn’t unveil the base model and the Z51 package price which is required for faster runs. It’s still a ways off from going into production. 

I’m really wondering how they kept the price so low. Basically, if the base model looks the same int/ext with and performance is close to Z51 package then GM just turned the segment upside down. 

10 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Well the outside sure has Corvette/GM dna. Not bad looking at all. The inside is hideous. The row of raised buttons infringing an passenger seat is comical. I’m thoroughly surprised at the price. Mind you, they didn’t unveil the base model and the Z51 package price which is required for faster runs. It’s still a ways off from going into production. 

I’m really wondering how they kept the price so low. Basically, if the base model looks the same int/ext with and performance is close to Z51 package then GM just turned the segment upside down. 

Near the end of the reveal, they drove 2 more on the stage. I believe the white one is a base model, since there's no Z51 spoiler on it.  So, attendee's had an opportunity to come up on stage and look it over.

HRG

16 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

From what I understand, the DCT transmission (at least in Ford GT) is something along the likes 10-15K alone-Though they are using a similar transmission in the GT500 also, so I'm guessing they got the pricing down to something reasonable. 

26 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I'm curious how the performance compares to a Ford GT in real life. It certainly would be interesting to have a mid-engine vehicle at a fraction of the cost with similar performance and arguably better livability.  Sure the Ford GT is a "bespoke, rare limited edition vehicle" which adds to its allure and value.  But if the C8 offers performance in the same breath as the GT at 20% the cost, well............rarity could go out the window.  ...and that goes for Porsche, Ferrari, etc...

That is part of the problem with the Corvette-its lacking in snob appeal because its stereotypical buyer is a middle aged overweight gold chain wearing divorcee.

Porsche/Ferrari are limited/bespoke production vehicles...in the case of the 911, Porsche reports there are only 2 twin cars (identical equipped/color cars) made a year.

Don't under estimate snob appeal in high end products, real or imaged. 

Though I do wonder what corners were cut (unless they don't plan on making money on them) to make it profitable at the prices they are asking or the if the Z51 package is going to add 20-30K to the price, and the "Zora" with the Blackwing TT V8 and expected Hybrid is even higher then that. 

Edited by silvrsvt
fix spelling

Only problem I have with the interior is the wall with the buttons. It looks like the passenger would be uncomfortable sitting next to an airplane bulkhead where their leg and elbow are hitting it. I don’t know for sure obviously but that’s what it looks like. 

Base doesn't look bad either, although I want to see an interior shot of the base.

Now all of this is just the big splash but we are missing a lot of information about base performance and price of z51 package but I keep coming back to price. Seriously, how did they keep the price so low. I mean, the engine really isn't anything too special, standard GM performance fair. A loaded Mustang/Camaro/Challenger (not even including the special editions) climb into the 50's. Who wouldn't choose a base Vette (if you don't use rear seats) over those? Where did they cut the corner to keep it so low? 

As it stands now, it really looks like GM shook the performance car market. We'll see if that stands true once we get more information.

Edited by jcartwright99

4 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Base doesn't look bad either, although I want to see an interior shot of the base.

Now all of this is just the big splash but we are missing a lot of information about base performance and price of z51 package but I keep coming back to price. Seriously, how did they keep the price so low. I mean, the engine really isn't anything too special, standard GM performance fair. A loaded Mustang/Camaro/Challenger (not even including the special editions) climb into the 50's. Who wouldn't choose a base Vette (if you don't use rear seats) over those? Where did they cut the corner to keep it so low? 

The existing 2019 Vette, while not mid-engine, is just as unique from a platform standpoint from other cars in the GM portfolio that it probably cost the same to design and manufacture.  It starts at $55k.  Vettes have been a bargain supercar for a while now.

Edited by Anthony

I like the exterior looks for the most part, but the interior leaves a lot to be desired, tho I’m sure there are packaging limitations.  The base price is quite impressive, so hats off to GM on that. I too would like to know how they managed that as it is now the poor mans super car  

As a Ford guy, I have always liked the Corvettes and thought they were great buys, however I think this car should have been named something different, as I’m not feeling much Corvette heritage in there.