Exhaust Noise/Air Filter Change

Trailhiker

I changed the air filter in my Fusion this month. Seemed easy, two clips hold it in place. It rained the next couple days, so I did not have my windows down while driving. The third day after, it was sunny, and I had the windows down to let in the air. That is when I heard a noise. It was similar to an exhaust leak, or a hole in the muffler. I was thinking I'd have to take the car in for service, as I could see no holes or rusted connections.

Then I remembered the air filter change. I popped the hood, and looked at it. Sure enough, it was clipped in, but the back side part was not in the grooves. I adjusted and re-clipped, and sure enough, the noise went away.I feel dumb, but lesson learned!

Wait, you mean you actually opened the hood and did a filter change?  Are you aware that you are part of an extremely small minority of people who would dare to attempt that?

Just kidding, this topic was discussed a couple of months ago, regarding people who do their own oil changes and other such maintenance.

HRG

22 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Wait, you mean you actually opened the hood and did a filter change?  Are you aware that you are part of an extremely small minority of people who would dare to attempt that?

Just kidding, this topic was discussed a couple of months ago, regarding people who do their own oil changes and other such maintenance.

HRG

Hey I applaud people that want to do their own maintenance. Simple stuff like air filters, cabin filters, wipers, etc. Go for it. However, unless you have a lift and a drain buggy, why would you want to deal with an oil change. Most stuff now is extremely hard to do on the ground. Not to mention the mess. Plus, other than the satisfaction of doing it yourself and knowing it’s done correct, there is no cost benefit. Ford’s works package is very reasonable. Personally, I would find a place I trust and let them deal with the belly pans and oil runoff the control arms etc. 

5 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

Hey I applaud people that want to do their own maintenance. Simple stuff like air filters, cabin filters, wipers, etc. Go for it. However, unless you have a lift and a drain buggy, why would you want to deal with an oil change. Most stuff now is extremely hard to do on the ground. Not to mention the mess. Plus, other than the satisfaction of doing it yourself and knowing it’s done correct, there is no cost benefit. Ford’s works package is very reasonable. Personally, I would find a place I trust and let them deal with the belly pans and oil runoff the control arms etc. 

I haven't looked under the wife's new Edge yet, but if it has the belly pan like my daughters 2018 Escape, my DIY oil change days are over. At least until I find and roll a C3 Corvette back into the garage.

HRG

9 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

I stopped doing my oil changes years ago.  I even had a conversation with a young coworker about his Lexus is350.  We did the math and figured out that the dealer was basically charging only $10 for labor (if that) because the retail cost of buying the oil and filter was nearly as much as the dealer's price.  I still change my air and cabin filters and I will do my own shocks, struts, and other easily accessible things, but if it involves fluids or getting under the vehicle, off to the dealer it goes.