New mid-sized "Outback" style crossover

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

OMG No. No way that sells more than 2k a month here. 

Why not? Its just a photoshop-I'm assuming its going to look something close to this and it looks far better then any Subaru product solid here, which look like bloated wagons

55 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Replacement for Flex?

Most likely smaller-but it would be a good fit for Oakville-since the Flex and MKT are going away sooner then later and the Fusion will be around for a little longer till the small SUV/Pickup come around. 

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

...Most likely smaller-but it would be a good fit for Oakville-since the Flex and MKT are going away sooner then later and the Fusion will be around for a little longer till the small SUV/Pickup come around. 

Since it is targeted to replace S-Max and Galaxy along with Mondeo, sounds like it would slot in quite nicely...and I agree on Oakville for North American production...it would indeed be a good fit. 

44 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Why not? Its just a photoshop-I'm assuming its going to look something close to this and it looks far better then any Subaru product solid here, which look like bloated wagons

Most likely smaller-but it would be a good fit for Oakville-since the Flex and MKT are going away sooner then later and the Fusion will be around for a little longer till the small SUV/Pickup come around. 

Remember the Venza and Crosstour?  That's wheat this rendering looks like to me. Those two are already dead and buried. I'm with Fuzzy - this won't sell well. I don't know why the small pick-up would have any bearing on the Fusion's schedule. It won't sell in any volume either.

Subarus sell because they are Subarus, not because of looks or versatility.  They have become ingrained in the NW and East Coast as a left-of-center carmaker and as the "non-SUV" SUV-maker.  Its image and marketing which they have perfected.  Another automaker won't be able to duplicate the success of Subaru just by having a like model.  It takes more than that.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Since it is targeted to replace S-Max and Galaxy along with Mondeo, sounds like it would slot in quite nicely...and I agree on Oakville for North American production...it would indeed be a good fit. 

If they market it correctly it will be a decent seller. If they go it can be FWD and is $3000 more than an Outback there will be massive problems. AWD needs to be standard and only 4 trim lines; look at Subaru and copy that. If it is going to replace the Galaxy/S-Max it is going to need 7 seats. That really hurt Edge in Europe, on top of being expensive it didn't offer 7 seats.   

There is your white space Fusion replacement.   If it is on C2 as the article says then this would be built in Mexico and can share the assembly line with other C2 products.   So even if they don't sell a lot of them they can easily adjust production with other C2 vehicles as needed.  I think it needs more rugged sheetmetal for North America though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

There is your white space Fusion replacement.   If it is on C2 as the article says then this would be built in Mexico and can share the assembly line with other C2 products.   So even if they don't sell a lot of them they can easily adjust production with other C2 vehicles as needed.  I think it needs more rugged sheetmetal for North America though.

I think an "Active" version would be good, but there should be regular versions too, like the new Focus. I would like to put my order in now for an ST version.

16 minutes ago, akirby said:

The look isn't exactly right - but AFAIK *this* is the next Fusion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Remember the Venza and Crosstour?  That's wheat this rendering looks like to me. Those two are already dead and buried. I'm with Fuzzy - this won't sell well. I don't know why the small pick-up would have any bearing on the Fusion's schedule. It won't sell in any volume either.

The thing that is just a rendering. The Crosstour was ugly and the Venza wasn't anything to look at either and was competing against the Highlander. 

As for the Fusion schedule-the Fusion was supposed to go out of production in 2021 to build the Transit Connect and the smaller pickup based off it. It got extended out to 2023 or so. 

There are three plants that have product going away in North America and some new product that doesn't have a home yet..

Cuautitlán-Fiesta production winding down-assumed to get the Mach E and Bronco Scout due to timing

Hermosillo-Fusion/MKZ production-rumored to get the Transit Connect and Small Pickup

Oakville-Edge/Nautilus production. The Flex and MKT are going out of production next year-no new product as of yet stated to go there. 

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

Subarus sell because they are Subarus, not because of looks or versatility.  They have become ingrained in the NW and East Coast as a left-of-center carmaker and as the "non-SUV" SUV-maker.  Its image and marketing which they have perfected.  Another automaker won't be able to duplicate the success of Subaru just by having a like model.  It takes more than that.  

So accurate, and so painful to acknowledge!  You think they are popular on the coast - they challenge F-series here in the Mtn West for best selling vehicle!

33 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The thing that is just a rendering. The Crosstour was ugly and the Venza wasn't anything to look at either and was competing against the Highlander. 

As for the Fusion schedule-the Fusion was supposed to go out of production in 2021 to build the Transit Connect and the smaller pickup based off it. It got extended out to 2023 or so. 

There are three plants that have product going away in North America and some new product that doesn't have a home yet..

Cuautitlán-Fiesta production winding down-assumed to get the Mach E and Bronco Scout due to timing

Hermosillo-Fusion/MKZ production-rumored to get the Transit Connect and Small Pickup

Oakville-Edge/Nautilus production. The Flex and MKT are going out of production next year-no new product as of yet stated to go there. 

Fusion is ending sometime in-2020, it was announced.

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

If they market it correctly it will be a decent seller. If they go it can be FWD and is $3000 more than an Outback there will be massive problems. AWD needs to be standard and only 4 trim lines; look at Subaru and copy that. If it is going to replace the Galaxy/S-Max it is going to need 7 seats. That really hurt Edge in Europe, on top of being expensive it didn't offer 7 seats.   

I don't understand why the 7-seat Edge has been China only.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

"Oakville-Edge/Nautilus production. The Flex and MKT are going out of production next year-no new product as of yet stated to go there. "

It appears the Flex and MKT die this year, as no Job 1 dates have been posted for 2020 builds and in the 2020 Ford Fleet preview, they are absent. My hope is the next Edge/Nautilus move to the rwd CD6 in 2021 (as 2022 models) and the rumored rwd Zephyr sedan will move into Oakville around same time!

I think this is what's happening... just speculation, no inside knowledge.

Ford is developing two midsize CUV to replace Mondeo/Fusion and Edge. One will have more sporty look and *maybe* a lower profile, while the other will have more like SUV. Couple this with the fact that Bronco will be roughly the same size, this is Ford's plan to divide and conquer the midsize CUV/SUV market. I wouldn't fixate on the Subaru Outback part... it could look very similar to a bigger Puma: that thing basically look just like a hatchback with bigger tires and fender flairs. Imagine something similar but in the size of Mondeo/Fusion but with appropriate roof extension in the cargo area for better proportions (that was Honda Crosstour's problem... bad proportions).

Mondeo "Active" ==> vs. Outback etc. - urban/more car-like

Edge ==> vs. Highlander etc. - suburban/in the middle

Bronco  vs. 4Runner etc. - rugged/off road

• Like 1

Don’t underestimate the Outback. It’s reliable, fairly affordable, has good interior and cargo room, and has remained consistent in its message and execution...I.e. it’s a great product. The gravy on top is that AWD is standard and barely adds a cost penalty to a similarly sized and equipped competitor that is FWD only. 

If Ford made a true Outback competitor with all or most of these virtues, it could sell really well, especially if it looks good. 

• Like 3

Never believe "Photoshop" pics of so called "upcoming products". Some rumors start with these. Remember all the "AMC returns" posts awhile back, but it was an April Fools joke, by Hot Rod magazine?

But, they did say Fusion sedan would be replaced by a "white space vehicle". So, don't dismiss it too fast.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Oakville makes sense too if NG Edge/Nautilus go to C2

Either way I don't see that doing that well for reasons similar to what  Anthony said.