Hand Shake Day

Dayshift

Today is the official start of negotiations between the UAW and the big 3. Regardless of the number of tiers for hourly workers, this years theme is "We Are One"

The UAW has not had a real work stoppage, against the big 3, since 1998 where the strike of just 9200 workers resulted in the shut down of over 100 UAW and supplier plants.

Ford has not had a significant strike since the 68-day strike in 1967. Will this be the Year?

Did any of you submit resolutions for this years contract negotiations?

* Pay raises for every year of contract (instead of cash bonuses)

* Pension increase for retirees

* Elimination of tiers or reducing progression time

* Reinstating cost of living

* Reinstating Pensions for all hourly employees

* Elimination of the use of temporary workers

The UAW is itching for a fight, are you financially prepared for a protracted work stoppage.

Edited by Dayshift

It has been quiet in the plants.The most quiet I can ever remember going into a major contract.I think they got it all worked out already,its just theater at this point.The IUAW has to "sell it" to their members and Ford Executives have to boast to the shareholders.There will be no strike overs pensions now that not everyone gets a pension.The major negotiations will be about future product allocation.My guess is that if a large enough signing bonus is offered a new contract is a done deal.Now,what are the companies objectives?You know the company is gonna get something they want,too.Dont be fooled by the "regular joe" outfits.As Bill Ford jr. said both sides will do  what is best for his business.Nothing to see here,move on,just a bunch of sabre rattling.I would strike BUT the objective better be huge!

My prediction is simple. Neither side wants to ruffle any feathers. Management in both IUAW and Ford are surely aware of signs of an industry slowdown coming in the next few years. The new contract will include loads of plant investments for all of these new magical electric and self-driving cars the media won't shut up about so the union can claim victory there, and nothing major will change with our benefits except for maybe how some of them are structured to save money for the company so they can claim a victory. In other words business as usual.

Now if we worked for GM I would be singing a different tune and would be screaming from the hilltops arm-in-arm with fatso about how we need to strike. 

• Like 2

CAP is ruining it for other plants, a company ran plant with a phony union. So many workers with little representation so much abusing benefits causing the company to rethink those benefits. Safety issues during launch no safety rep available to address the safety issues, future law suit about to happen any minute as I type this especially if it starts to rain. The reps we send to bargain are the laughing stock of the union. 2 of them involved in law suits current and past but the company loves their yes men enough to put restrictions on harassment victims and after a minor "zero tolerance" punishment of a few days off the sexual predators are rewarded with jobs of their choice. I pretty sure that suit is still pending and not part of the big cry wolf suit last year.  

I vote to sacrifice CAP for the greater good, sell my pension take and the separation package let the millennials figure the rest out. Even surviving one plant closure early 2000's there was a future that was somewhat clear in the auto industry 20 yr ago. No one today can tell me there will be a Ford in 2025 without no doubts. They can barely see past 2020 right now. 

UAW with its nepotism has crippled the industry, rather then hiring skilled workers with good work ethics they get so and so's entitled children, relatives, etc. etc.. 

yeah it sounds negative, union bashing kinda bitchy but come on guys lets stop sugar coating it and allowing it to happen pretending we're lucky to have a jobs when it should be they're lucky to have members to unionize. 

If they don't come back with a lucrative contract for us  members, then we're at fault for voting in and sending who we sent to bargain for our contracts. Nothing prevents us from reforming a new union except us.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, chassisgroupleader said:

Give me my Signing Bonus and keep everything as is.  I'm a happy camper.

This mentality has us crippled at CAP happy campers with no time no pensions ready to sign anything with a bonus right now. PM robocalls (not in 24 years have I gotten a robocall from the PM) begging for us to show up. Chairman comes out now that we're all elected let's have a meeting about the bad news. ? well you get what you elect so. 

I have over 27 years credit with this company, I don't know where you coming from ididntdoit?  just your name says you are trying to escape reality.  We are working for a great company making a lot of money.  I'm going to retire as soon as i'm eligible.  What are you complaining about?  I made sure my kids got a university education and don't have to follow my footsteps into an industry that will probably be fully automated within the next 20 to 30 years.  Enjoy the present because it will not last.

• Like 1

lol that's even worse, 27 years and you want to keep it as it is?

I'm trying to escape the nightmare.

last 15 years of concessions and you don't feel like the company owes for having their backs while the other 2 we're getting bailed out? maybe just a little bit?

your statement explains my issue perfectly, CAP is too used to a certain way the union is run, politics and work ethics in general. It's hard as a transfer to get used to, I feel like most of my co workers just don't care enough to even try to be unionized company. With that type of morale at a big plant with a lot of workers you end up with the "eh I don't care vote just give me a bonus".  Not that even half vote or even a fraction of a fraction show up for a meeting, just check next weeks attendance at the hall.

And I get it, it's what you know it's what you're used to unfortunately their's not much solidarity and the company pretty much runs the union. And I don't blame you one bit for being ready to retire. I have too many family members invested  in the UAW through out several locals and I'm hoping for the best all around not just myself. If it was just myself I'd say give me that early retirement and put CAP out of it's misery too. All in solidarity though. We are one....