Aviator GT Order

4 hours ago, msm859 said:

So I was doing a build on the Lincoln web site and when I went for the Grand Touring it changed the Lincoln dealership to the "Closest AVIATOR EV-Authorized Dealer"  -74 miles away - as opposed to the Lincoln dealer in town.  So do you have to buy a GT from an "EV Authorized Dealer"?  The closest Black Label dealer is 103 miles away - if you want the BL. Is Lincoln trying to make it hard to buy their cars?

Yes, you have to buy from an authorized EV dealer.  EV and BL are different.  To be EV Authorized they need a charging station and certified/trained mechanic.  My dealer does not have the station yet, but it is on order.  They allowed me to order the EV.  You may need to check with the closest dealer to see if they are.  3 months ago my local dealer was not showing on the build and price locator.  They are not trying to make it hard on you, they are making it hard on Ford/Lincoln dealers to try to nudge the separation.  End game is stand alone Lincoln Dealerships, making a distinct line between Ford and Lincoln.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The dealer can't work on or test PHEVs without training and a charging station.   That's not a huge expense so blame your dealer more than Ford.

Okay.  Sounds reasonable.  The local dealer is a Ford/Lincoln dealership so it seems like a nominal price to pay.  Wonder if that will be the same for all of the future PHEV's in the Ford stable.  If so it becomes a no brainer.

14 minutes ago, msm859 said:

Okay.  Sounds reasonable.  The local dealer is a Ford/Lincoln dealership so it seems like a nominal price to pay.  Wonder if that will be the same for all of the future PHEV's in the Ford stable.  If so it becomes a no brainer.

I bet if you ask your dealer, they have already requested/ordered the station and have a mech or two doing the online training.  They have to do training all the time, not a big deal.  With the PHEV Corsair and Ford products all gaining spark plugs (who would have thought 30 years ago a spark plug would be and actual plug on the side, also has a spark plug ever plugged in?  I've always screwed them)  I think all dealers will be E certified or out of business.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

The dealer can't work on or test PHEVs without training and a charging station.   That's not a huge expense so blame your dealer more than Ford.

The Charging stations come with the car and plug into an outlet.  They could get by with a spare cord, but I believe Lincoln division is requiring the charging stations to let folks courtesy charge while visiting.  

3 hours ago, mustangchief said:

I bet if you ask your dealer, they have already requested/ordered the station and have a mech or two doing the online training.  They have to do training all the time, not a big deal.  With the PHEV Corsair and Ford products all gaining spark plugs (who would have thought 30 years ago a spark plug would be and actual plug on the side, also has a spark plug ever plugged in?  I've always screwed them)  I think all dealers will be E certified or out of business.

Agreed.   I brought in a new 125 amp sub panel in my garage for 2 separate 50 amp outlets, pretty nominal costs so it should not cost too much for them to add chargers.  As to my local dealer I am still waiting on the GT specs and if enough will have  to compare interiors on the Reserve II in black vs the BL Flight Theme.

Two 50 amps, wow!  You are ready for multiple full level 2 stations.  I'd do the same if doing a retro fit.  I have a 20 amp outlet for charging golf carts, it will be slow but will work.  Someday if I go full EV, I'll have to pull another 20 to install a level 2 charger.  

1 hour ago, mustangchief said:

Two 50 amps, wow!  You are ready for multiple full level 2 stations.  I'd do the same if doing a retro fit.  I have a 20 amp outlet for charging golf carts, it will be slow but will work.  Someday if I go full EV, I'll have to pull another 20 to install a level 2 charger.  

Hey go big or go home.  Actually good news is my garage had not been completely rocked yet so it was pretty easy to add.  I suspect at some point in the future I will probably have 2 plug in somethings with a full BEV so might as well be prepared to make it convenient.  I was finally finishing  my dream garage - polished floors, built in cabinets, tool wall, power storage racks,  etc.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mustangchief said:

I received a new Aviator brochure today that said the GT would be available in early 2020.  ?

1107012263_aviatorgt.thumb.JPG.421bb43195377b432dc18253a4659d9f.JPG

What???  I was just waiting for the electric range to pull the trigger - ready  this year.  Hopefully this "delay" is because they figured out they need a bigger battery than the Euro Explorer to get a real 50km range.  They may also be having problems securing the batteries.

2 hours ago, mustangchief said:

I received a new Aviator brochure today that said the GT would be available in early 2020.  ?

1107012263_aviatorgt.thumb.JPG.421bb43195377b432dc18253a4659d9f.JPG

Their site, which I’d assume would be more accurate than brochures that had probably been printed beforehand still says late summer for the GT. However I know there is a stop shipment on the Explorer due to something with the fuel lines; not sure if the Aviator is also impacted by this. 

2 hours ago, Bellanca said:

Their site, which I’d assume would be more accurate than brochures that had probably been printed beforehand still says late summer for the GT. However I know there is a stop shipment on the Explorer due to something with the fuel lines; not sure if the Aviator is also impacted by this. 

Except apparently Ford is building a new assembly line for the hybrid Explorers and PHEV Aviators that will no be on line until the 4th quarter this year.

http://fordauthority.com/2019/07/ford-chicago-assembly-plant-to-hire-450-new-workers/

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

535A76EF-5568-4D88-A43C-3B83D92D87D1.png

So if they are really waiting for this new assembly line and it is to be on line by quarter 4 - October -  maybe some would be available in December? It is going to be close.  I was hoping to buy in 2019 for tax purposes.  Do all dealers accept the X plan pricing?

18 minutes ago, msm859 said:

So if they are really waiting for this new assembly line and it is to be on line by quarter 4 - October -  maybe some would be available in December? It is going to be close.  I was hoping to buy in 2019 for tax purposes.  Do all dealers accept the X plan pricing?

Sounds like they planned to build them on the regular line but ran into problems and had to go to plan B.

I would be surprised if any dealer accepted X plan for the GT.  They'll probably be selling for MSRP+ initially.   Whether they accept X plan on any vehicle is strictly up to the dealer unless the vehicle is ineligible.   Won't hurt to ask of course.

31 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

This post was from a few hours ago...I don’t know what else to say when Lincoln is saying late 2019...

I guess it depends on whether you're optimistic (early 4Q2019) or pessimistic (late 4Q2019) for the new line to be up and running.

51 minutes ago, akirby said:

Sounds like they planned to build them on the regular line but ran into problems and had to go to plan B.

I would be surprised if any dealer accepted X plan for the GT.  They'll probably be selling for MSRP+ initially.   Whether they accept X plan on any vehicle is strictly up to the dealer unless the vehicle is ineligible.   Won't hurt to ask of course.

I'm getting mine for X plan.  Of course they could always change their mind, I had them do it on my Mustang LE, made the deal, then they decided to change it when the car was selling for 10K over on ebay.  After a conversation with the GM and a call from Ford, they quickly reverted back to the agreement.  They are under a new owner now, but the Lincoln manager is the same that was there when it unfolded.  He promised it would not happen again on the Aviator.  

48 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

This post was from a few hours ago...I don’t know what else to say when Lincoln is saying late 2019...

The ad I posted was also from Lincoln.  I saw the Instagram post today also. Hiring begins in August, two issues happen...The temps at CAP have to be replaced when they move over to the mod building for the new line.  Then the new line has to be set up and run for ergonomics and other Lean techniques with the new line.  Hinrichs said it was to take the complexity off the main line.  Complexity = longer training and build.  The benefit of this is the GT and Explorers built there should have a slight better quality as it will be a slower line.  They will have to go through the OKTB too.  I would be very impressed if retail orders get out before Christmas.  Either way if they come this fall or after the first, as long as they come, all is well.