2000 Mile Road Trip In A Tesla Model 3

mlhm5

7 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Graph from that article says msm859 is correct. Non carbon based fuel sources account for more than half of electricity generated by California commercial and municipal power generating stations last year.

Not doubting what his info shows, my info shows otherwise so, it all depends on what you are looking at and which article you believe is correct. I stand by my assertion, but I am heartened to the fact that CO2 emissions is going down and that fact is not due to EV's but to more efficient production of electricity ...but even in the article msm859 provided talks about how part of the CO2 decline was due to the fact that their energy needs are being "imported" from out of state, so it reduces their "in-state" production of CO2 emissions. 

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Your reference also proves my assertion.  In 2018  19 + 12.3 + 8.7 + 6.5 + 5.7 = 52.2%  Slightly less than in 2017 but still over half.  And this number is going to increase with time.  It also appears that said article/graph was highlighting the generation inside California.  My initial reference was to the source of all electricity used in California - since I would agree it would not help if California simply imported "dirty" electricity i.e. coal.  That small 4% will be gone in 6 years.  And again these figures do not include the hundreds of thousands of homes that have solar on their roofs.  In 2020 all new homes will be required to have solar (except if unfeasible). 

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Not doubting what his info shows, my info shows otherwise so, it all depends on what you are looking at and which article you believe is correct. I stand by my assertion, but I am heartened to the fact that CO2 emissions is going down and that fact is not due to EV's but to more efficient production of electricity .......

This is a math question, not a question of "belief".  The math in your article shows over 50% electricity production is non carbon based.  My source was an official source.  You have not provided any numbers that show anything different.

How is it that you can claim CO2 emissions are not going down due to EV's?  If someone replaces their ICE car with an electric car they have reduced their carbon footprint.  If the electricity to feed the car is produced by renewables, nuclear or hydro it is a 100% reduction of CO2 footprint for that persons driving. California has over 500,000 electric cars and right now over 10% of all cars sold are electric.  I am heartened that EV's are in fact reducing the carbon footprint in California.

5 minutes ago, msm859 said:

This is a math question, not a question of "belief".  The math in your article shows over 50% electricity production is non carbon based.  My source was an official source.  You have not provided any numbers that show anything different.

How is it that you can claim CO2 emissions are not going down due to EV's?  If someone replaces their ICE car with an electric car they have reduced their carbon footprint.  If the electricity to feed the car is produced by renewables, nuclear or hydro it is a 100% reduction of CO2 footprint for that persons driving. California has over 500,000 electric cars and right now over 10% of all cars sold are electric.  I am heartened that EV's are in fact reducing the carbon footprint in California.

California is doing well, but the reduction of CO2 is more the result of more efficient production of electricity at the powerplants and not the implementation EV fleets...lots and lots of ICE vehicles still in play that contribute to the CO2 totals, it will be a long time until EV's meaningfully impact that CO2 number. In the mean time, the CO2 numbers will also be reduced with improved emissions those ICE vehicles including plug in hybrids and "regular" hybrids. EV's will play a part, but I personally believe that "the next big thing" (and I don't know what that is) will transform our transportation industry from what we know it today. 

ttps://www.curbed.com/2018/1/30/16950118/electric-vehicles-ev-california-tesla

California has led the way in the United States, according to report authors F. Noel Perry and Adam Fowler. As of October 2017, the state has 337,482 zero-emission vehicles (ZEV). While that only makes up 4.5 percent of the state’s total vehicle fleet, that number grew 53 percent between 2013 and 2017. It’s far outpacing the total electric vehicle percentage in the United States as a whole, 1.1 percent, and China, 1.8 percent, cementing California’s status as a world leader.