2020 Explorer ST

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my 2020 Explorer ST yesterday and I LOVE IT!!!  I already put 250 miles on it and I can say its a real beast!!!

The motor is tuned very well and in sport mode it keeps you up on the turbos as much as possible with the 10 speed transmission.  I was trying to find the sweet spot for the turbos but it was a bit hard as I think the computers are doing some manipulation and I am used to the feedback of lesser controlled turbo cars.  In "normal" and especially "eco" mode the engine map is quite a bit slower and the turbo's come on much slower.  They have tuned the transmission in each mode very well and I am extremely impressed by the response.

I have the "street pack" and the Pirelli Scorpion tires are KILLER with tons of grip.  I had the tires squealing in the corners when dry and the large SUV sat remarkably flat in the corners.   Since it rained today I had a chance of testing the Pirellis in wet conditions and even though the grip level was far less the tires/automobile had great feedback and I could feel the slip angle easily.  The ST handles VERY WELL, I am very impressed by its ability in the corners for a large, heavy SUV. The street pack brakes are quite good and strong.  I did get the brakes to fade a bit but they were new and I was pushing them hard.

I can say that I am extremely impressed and I am happy I purchased this vehicle.  It will be a good addition to my garage and driven happily for the next 36 months!!!

Edited by jambo
  • Like 1

I ordered a Lincoln Aviator Reserve I a few months back, and once I saw production model images of the Reserve I wheels a week or so ago, I wasn't very excited, and im not willing to spent more for the Reserve II. So, today I took out a ST for an hour, and WOW that was FUN to drive, especially in Sport mode.  I have my dealer trying to make a trade for a Atlas Blue or Magnetic Grey model, otherwise i'll take the Black model they have in stock.

12 hours ago, PajamaGuy said:

I've read every story and watched every video that I can find in anticipation of mine's arrival. 

Does it SOUND as rich as the videos indicate when accelerating in Sport mode? 

PJ

It sounds great, way way better in person than any video ive seen, but I couldnt tell what percentage of it was just piped into the cabin VS actual exterior engine/exhaust noise. Regardless, I was enjoying it.

I took delivery of my 2020 Explorer ST yesterday. I get a new FLM vehicle each year under the Ford Management Lease Evaluation Program retiree benefit I have, so for reference here I turned in a 2019 Ford Edge which was a good mid-size crossover, very pleasant to drive on long trips and around town, and vastly improved from the older Edges. The driving dynamic of the new 2020 Ford Explorer ST was so dramatically different I had sensory overload after those first 100 miles yesterday and had trouble processing the differences. I got up fresh this morning and took it out for another 100 miles on a variety of roads with everything from hills with tight twisties to flat open stretches. Wow! This large SUV is more far performance oriented than any SUV/CUV I have driven to date, even several so called performance variants. Fast, smooth shifting, tight, and great handling. The last time I had a similar visceral experience was when I first drove my last high performance coupe (NOTE: I am not suggesting a large SUV handles like a performance car, but after driving a variety of CUVs and SUVs over the last decade the new Explorer ST is like none of the others).

A couple other points worth mentioning. The 14 speaker sound system that comes with the Premium Technology Package kicks butt, the best sound quality and punch I've heard from an FLM product in memory. The newest generation of adaptive cruise control (which also adapts for speed limit changes) and lane keeping assistance are markedly improved over that from just a year ago in my 2019 Edge. I was able to basically let the car drive itself from a curvy 55 mph zone that stepped down in increments to 25 mph, came to a complete stop, then resumed back to a 45 mph zone without touching any pedals or steering (except to lightly caress the steering wheel every 10 seconds so it wouldn't think I was driving hands free and scold me).

I will update with a more comprehensive review in a couple weeks after more miles on varied roads and my first interstate highway trip.

• 2 weeks later...

uucuu3,

Thanks for posting.  With the 2020 Explorer RECALL reported today, and after reading the July Newsletter from the Chicago Plant, I'm beginning to see why the startup and production is so slow.  I see Explorers that were ordered in January still have no production data.  My ST was ordered 7/6 and there's still nothing...

I've read and viewed all that I can find, and for my 70th birthday went over to the dealer and sat in and played with a stock ST.  Didn't drive it though, I'm waiting for my own for that.  I'm glad you got yours and are so happy with it.

PJ