Limited-Edition, Track-Only Ford GT Mk II Unleashes The Next Level of Ford GT Supercar Performance

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

That's why I wrote "technically" regarding who is selling the car, not about branding.

So basically Multimatic is serving as the dealer in this case, is that what you’re saying?

Im surprised that the dealer lobby hasn't sued Ford over that.

10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

So basically Multimatic is serving as the dealer in this case, is that what you’re saying?

Im surprised that the dealer lobby hasn't sued Ford over that.

Multimatic is a Canadian company.  US state franchise laws would not apply.

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Wouldn't Canadian ones though? I guess I don't fully understand how all of that works 

Only 5 Canadian provinces have auto franchise laws.  I don’t know if those specifically prohibit those types of sales.

In the US it’s up to each state - but all of them (or almost all) have enacted virtually the same laws at least when it comes to mfrs selling direct.

i doubt this is something dealerships would object to though.  Most probably don’t want the liability of delivering such an expensive vehicle.

8 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

That's why I wrote "technically" regarding who is selling the car, not about branding.

The phrase "distinction without a difference" comes to mind. If we use that as a standard, Ford sells almost no vehicles, as they're "technically" sold by the dealerships.

4 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

The phrase "distinction without a difference" comes to mind. If we use that as a standard, Ford sells almost no vehicles, as they're "technically" sold by the dealerships.

Actually the dealers buy them from Ford to resell them just like any other retail store does with any product. 

Think of this like you would a Shelby Mustang (GT500KR or Super Snake) or a Roush or a Hennessy.  Multimatic is an engineering, design, and manufacturer of components and parts.  They also do small scale production (GT).  Basically they are taking the normal GT that they build on contract for Ford and in a licensing agreement with Ford are adding race specific parts that they have developed and tuning the engine.  Ford Performance probably shared the engineering work with Multimatic, but I would bet Multimatic had the majority of the development cost.  Multimatic is acting like an upfitter, selling a race car, which happens to not be street legal anyway.