Ford reports 2nd quarter 2019 sales

11 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Sections 168(k) and 179 do not apply to personal use of a motor vehicle, whether it is registered by a business or an individual. Claiming personal use as business use for tax purposes is illegal and subject to penalties. The IRS aggressively looks out for small businesses that are created simply to dump lifestyle expenses into the entity to reduce individual income taxes.

The 2019 Ford Ranger I bought for my family's lawn care and landscaping business is used for personal trips about 30% of the time. I use a vehicle tracking device from Geotab and Quickbooks to document personal use vs. business use.

The Ranger's GVWR is below 6,000 lbs, so I don't qualify for the accelerated depreciation/deduction schedule that one would get with say, an F-150 or F-250.

And you'd have to use it more than 50% of the time for it to qualify for 168/179 anyways. That is why leasing is great for people that use a vehicle for Business/Personal. Very easy to track miles and you can deduct that % of use for the vehicle. Even if you use 179 and depreciate to 0 after 5 years you need to claim that sale as income when you go to sell the vehicle. 

Also Ranger has a 6050 GVWR and is eligible. AWD versions of the Ridgeline and 4x4 Colorado also just slightly exceed that 6000 number as well. Colorado is actually 6001. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Also Ranger has a 6050 GVWR and is eligible. AWD versions of the Ridgeline and 4x4 Colorado also just slightly exceed that 6000 number as well. Colorado is actually 6001.

Thank you jasonj80 sir! Checking the specs for 2019 Ranger Supercab 2WD (that's the version I bought), you are correct that GVWR exceeds 6,000 lbs. I didn't think 2019 Ranger 2WD would meet that threshold (my old '04 Ranger didn't), but sure enough it does.

Curb weight is 4,145 lbs and payload is 1,860 lbs. That adds up to 6,005 lbs GVWR. :happyfeet:

Edited by rperez817

16 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Or just simply following where your buyers are heading and what they’re asking for.

im not suggesting continuing with Fusion the way it is, careful reworked design could move the new package back into buyer’s radars offering something different to true Utilities without competing... a tricky thing I admit 

I'd like to see the Fusion to be Ford's take on the Audi All Road lineup. But I'm not sure how successful that would be since it would be more or less slightly jacked up station wagon, which is just as radioactive as a minivan-at least in the US market. 

but I really do dig the blue A6 All Road that is in my work parking lot. 

• Like 1