Ford reports 2nd quarter 2019 sales

DEARBORN, Mich., July 3, 2019 – Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) today reported its second quarter 2019 U.S. sales results. Click here or visit media.ford.com to view the news release.

Mark LaNeve, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service, and Emily Kolinski Morris, Ford chief economist, will host a conference call for the investment community and news media to discuss the results and related market trends. The call will begin at 10 a.m. ET today.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/07/03/ford-second-quarter-total-pickup-sales-strongest-in-15-years.html

- Ford strategy to focus on its winning portfolio led to a strong pickup and SUV mix while expanding transaction pricing. Truck and SUVs totaled 83 percent of Q2 sales – 4 percentage points higher than year ago, growing quarter ending transaction prices by $1,500 to $36,400 per vehicle.

-Ford’s total pickup sales in Q2 increased 7 percent, accelerating at a faster rate than first quarter growth of 5 percent. Second quarter represented our best overall pickup truck sales performance since 2004.

- Total Q2 F-Series sales pass the 230,000 mark, further extending our leadership position this quarter. F-Series transaction pricing was solid at $47,500 per truck, $1,200 higher than a year ago and $2,500 above the segment average.

- Ranger retail sales have grown every month since January adding 20,880 trucks to Ford’s total pickup truck sales for the quarter. Q2 Ranger sales more than doubled relative to first quarter results.

- Expedition continues to perform and expand both sales and share in every region of the country, climbing 50 percent, with 21,796 sold. All-new Explorer went on sale at the end of Q2. The plant changeover was responsible for lower Ford SUV sales in the second quarter.

- As America’s number one seller of commercial vehicles, Q2 overall truck sales -- F-Series, Ranger and F-650/F-750 – are up 8 percent while vans were up 4 percent for the quarter.

- Sales of the new Nautilus posted a 13 percent gain on sales of 8,187 SUVs for the quarter. Nautilus average transaction pricing at the end of Q2 increased $3,700 over last year’s MKX, with an average transaction price totaling $44,300 per SUV.

Must be all those low margin/profit fleet sales dragging them down...

"Total Q2 F-Series sales pass the 230,000 mark, further extending our leadership position this quarter. F-Series transaction pricing was solid at $47,500 per truck, $1,200 higher than a year ago and $2,500 above the segment average"

• Haha 2

One of the analysts was speaking about the tax code giving companies incentives to add to their fleets (oh that's where my tax cut went)   guess that is part of Fusion's sizeable gains.    Also odd that MKT and Flex went up.    Fiesta is also higher than i would have thought, though perhaps that is fleet expecially in light of no Foci for sale - suppose that could also be individuals who want a small Ford, but geez the interior of the Fiesta is soooooo dated, hard to believe people who came in for a Focus would want the Fiesta.    Explorer sales are down more than I expected, granted some are waiting on the new one but still. 

1 hour ago, Steve557 said:

Uhaul must have gotten a big order of new 650’s.

I asterisked it, but just want to point it out again - that 5,838 number is for all of Q2, not just the month of June.  I don't have a monthly break down of the Heavy trucks, but need to include them each quarter to accurately reflect Ford's overall volume.

14 minutes ago, Fordowner said:

One of the analysts was speaking about the tax code giving companies incentives to add to their fleets (oh that's where my tax cut went)   guess that is part of Fusion's sizeable gains.    Also odd that MKT and Flex went up.    Fiesta is also higher than i would have thought, though perhaps that is fleet expecially in light of no Foci for sale - suppose that could also be individuals who want a small Ford, but geez the interior of the Fiesta is soooooo dated, hard to believe people who came in for a Focus would want the Fiesta.    Explorer sales are down more than I expected, granted some are waiting on the new one but still. 

Explorer sales would also be affected by the plant changeover.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Must be all those low margin/profit fleet sales dragging them down...

"Total Q2 F-Series sales pass the 230,000 mark, further extending our leadership position this quarter. F-Series transaction pricing was solid at $47,500 per truck, $1,200 higher than a year ago and $2,500 above the segment average"

?

53 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I asterisked it, but just want to point it out again - that 5,838 number is for all of Q2, not just the month of June.  I don't have a monthly break down of the Heavy trucks, but need to include them each quarter to accurately reflect Ford's overall volume.

Explorer sales would also be affected by the plant changeover.

Also if I was in the market for an Explorer I would wait for the new model, the depreciation on the old D3 compared to new rev models will be significant. I would also think the old D3 models are going to suffer compared to all the new update competition.  New Explorer can’t come fast enough.

1 hour ago, pictor said:

Also if I was in the market for an Explorer I would wait for the new model, the depreciation on the old D3 compared to new rev models will be significant. I would also think the old D3 models are going to suffer compared to all the new update competition.  New Explorer can’t come fast enough.

The new Explorer is already here.  Several people have taken delivery of theirs the past week.

10 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

They're not talking about it, but they've noticed. It's already been given one stay of execution. 

But that’s because you can get a nicely equipped SE for $17k (MSRP $24k).  My local dealers don’t stock anything else,  so yay sales numbers but probably zippo on profit.

4 hours ago, probowler said:

If the old girl at this age can still produce growth, imagine what she could do with an update?

Lose more money? Just because you update it doesn't mean you'll make a profit on it either. That's why they stopped investing in it-because spending more money on it would impact its profitability. Just like the CV. The costs of it are already amortized. 

34 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Lose more money? Just because you update it doesn't mean you'll make a profit on it either. That's why they stopped investing in it-because spending more money on it would impact its profitability. Just like the CV. The costs of it are already amortized. 

I'd love to see the actual numbers on all this money people around here claim Ford loses on the Fusion. Heck average hourly pay for auto assembly in Mexico is somewhere between $3.50 to $7.00 an hour. It also could be given a pretty decent economical refresh without a new platform. We saw Ford do this a few times when money was tight back in the late 00's.

Anyhow it's a successful nameplate and they should build on that. Will these new vehicles they have planned going up against tough competition with more respected nameplates in their segment will do well? So far the new Ranger isn't selling very well so I hope things go better for other new models they have planned. I sure like my new Ranger, but it seems to have fell flat on it's face in a tough midsized truck market. Hopefully generous incentives and more promotions will get it moving off the lots.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

I'd love to see the actual numbers on all this money people around here claim Ford loses on the Fusion. Heck average hourly pay for auto assembly in Mexico is somewhere between $3.50 to $7.00 an hour. It also could be given a pretty decent economical refresh without a new platform. We saw Ford do this a few times when money was tight back in the late 00's.

Anyhow it's a successful nameplate and they should build on that. Will these new vehicles they have planned going up against tough competition with more respected nameplates in their segment will do well? So far the new Ranger isn't selling very well so I hope things go better for other new models they have planned. I sure like my new Ranger, but it seems to have fell flat on it's face in a tough midsized truck market. Hopefully generous incentives and more promotions will get it moving off the lots.

That the problem-you'll never seen them since its a closely guarded industrial secret-lots of inference of numbers-plus the problem isn't just labor costs-its the actual engineering/retooling costs of making new sheet metal/etc that has to be factored in.

As for the Ranger-its be on sale for what? 6 Months? Inventory is still building and well I haven't seen much advertising for it outside of what seemed to be an advertising push by Ford on social media before it came out. 

Sales from this past month:

Model Month Month LY Change YTD YTD LY YTD Change
  ∑ = 298,485 ∑ = 265,002   ∑ = 1,207,869 ∑ = 1,158,257

Ford F-Series 87,670 84,639 3.58 378,262 371,934 1.70
Ram Pickup 62,250 46,781 33.07 231,382 189,997 21.78
Chevrolet Silverado 53,424 51,843 3.05 214,037 239,231 -10.53
Toyota Tacoma 22,832 21,380 6.79 101,390 93,970 7.90
GMC Sierra 21,322 19,802 7.68 80,347 81,072 -0.89
Chevrolet Colorado 11,876 13,672 -13.14 55,662 56,203 -0.96
Toyota Tundra 10,657 10,062 5.91 44,619 45,837 -2.66
Nissan Frontier 7,497 6,938 8.06 31,976 34,845 -8.23
Ford Ranger 7,830 0 0.00 24,037 0 0.00
Nissan Titan 3,189 3,779 -15.61 15,361 19,173 -19.88
GMC Canyon 4,466 3,212 39.04 15,291 13,637 12.13
Honda Ridgeline 2,888 2,894 -0.21 12,494 12,358 1.10
Jeep Gladiator 2,584 0 0.00 3,011 0 0.00

Interesting to note the that Gladiator is selling less then the Ridgeline, even with $150 dollar leases...interesting. 

It’s simple math and basic assumptions on overall profit margin.

i also think you’re thinking gross profit not net profit.  You might make $2k gross profit but that has to pay for advertising, engineering, design, crash testing, tooling, etc.  

When your net profit margin overall is <10% and you know trucks are a lot higher it’s reasonable to expect that margin on Fusion is no more than 5% which is $1500 or less per vehicle.  Throw $2k cash on the hood and you just lost $500.

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

But, you just SOLD a car..... (that is "GM think" btw)

I dislike GM, but I'll give them credit for restraint on Silverado/Sierra discounts even after they have fallen behind Ram. Heck Ram was only 9,000 units behind the F-Series last month. Will Ford show the same restraint if the F-Series 42 year sales reign is threatened? Personally I don't think FCA cares whether they lose money or not with their insane discounting on Ram trucks. I think they want to make it No. 1 at all costs.

With things so competitive in the truck market maybe it's time for Ford to just let GM and FCA have all those fleet and lower margin XL and XLT sales and only offer luxury F-Series Lariat and above. I mean sales numbers don't really matter and imagine the insane ATP average they would have on luxury models only?

4 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

...With things so competitive in the truck market maybe it's time for Ford to just let GM and FCA have all those fleet and lower margin XL and XLT sales and only offer luxury F-Series Lariat and above. I mean sales numbers don't really matter and imagine the insane ATP average they would have on luxury models only?

Thats the beauty of F-Series trucks...it can dominate in both fleet sales and individual "luxury" sales....if it was only luxury sales that mattered, Lincoln Mark LT would have been much more popular.

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1