• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
fuzzymoomoo

RIP Lee Iacocca

Well a good run.. I have the Time, and Newsweek editions  with Mustangs on the cover that came out the week Mustang was introduced at the NY Worlds Fair.  One quote from Lee that I always remembered about working at Ford.  "you can never forget  whose name is on the building".

Back in 1965, my dad (a Ford engineer in Engine Design) managed to get a pit pass to the Indy 500 time trials.  This when the 255 cubic inch DOHC "bundle of snakes" engine was being used.  As my dad talked to the engineers and we stood by looking at Jimmy Clark's Lotus Ford, my brother nudged me and told me to "look."  Coming down pit lane was Iacocca wearing a Ford baseball cap with a stogie hanging out of his mouth.  My close encounter with Mr.. Iacocca.

RIP

Lee Iacocca was responsible for a slew of successful Ford models and platforms. He was fired in 1979 by Henry Ford II but he left Ford with the downsized RWD Fox platform which ended up being the only really good thing Ford had until the ground breaking 1985 Taurus.

I'm with Bob--94 years is a heck of a run, and not many can claim to be the father of the Mustang, and to have brought Chrysler back from the brink of insolvency.

56 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

I'm with Bob--94 years is a heck of a run, and not many can claim to be the father of the Mustang, and to have brought Chrysler back from the brink of insolvency.

As my friend who works at FRAP said, if it weren't for Lee, he wouldn't have a job today. 

Rest in peace Mr. Iacocca....your mark on the automotive landscape will forever be remembered.

He really knew what would sell. He also knew how to market it to the right people at the right time.