Powershift transmission woes haunt Ford

55 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Guess I should have put a sarcasm emoji in there.....?

Ford FWD transmissions haven’t had a serviceable filter since AX4N/S. 6F’s. Don’t have a filter that’s replaceable without disassembly. ( a lot of folks don’t know that). Fortunately drain and refills are relatively easy. If you measure what you drain and fill back exact amount that’s about the easiest way. 

Edited by fordtech1

1 hour ago, fordtech1 said:

Ford FWD transmissions haven’t had a serviceable filter since AX4N/S. 6F’s. Don’t have a filter that’s replaceable without disassembly. ( a lot of folks don’t know that). Fortunately drain and refills are relatively easy. If you measure what you drain and fill back exact amount that’s about the easiest way. 

A retired Ford tranny engineer told me that if the filter is clogged so much that it needs to be changed the tranny is already toast.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, akirby said:

A retired Ford tranny engineer told me that if the filter is clogged so much that it needs to be changed the tranny is already toast.

That’s a true statement. However it’s nice to know a new filter has been installed during a service. They do have an internal magnet to catch shavings just like the older model with the doughnut magnet stuck to the pan. 

This is a cluster F in very high proportions and not going away anytime soon. The quicker they settle this the better off they are going to be, but unfortunately, Ford's accounting and legal team cxck block this stuff from getting past them and the customer's pay the cost-just a terrible way to run a business. 

On another note, did anyone read the comments? First one I read is from our old friend RJ! Sounds a little cranky but good to know he is still around.

Richard Jensen  3 days ago

No the buck stops with that idiot Alan Mulally. He was a cancer at Ford and the effects of his reign are still being felt by problem this this garbage transmission.

His entire business model was “profits now, recalls later”. He cut quality to an almost non existent level. It’s astounding how bad he was at at Ford.

Fields was the fall guy for Mulally. Fields genuinely tried to do the right thing and fix what Mulally did but his plan wasn’t fast enough for the Ford family. So they went out and found some fool that sold furniture to run an automotive company.

2 hours ago, kyle said:

This is a cluster F in very high proportions and not going away anytime soon. The quicker they settle this the better off they are going to be, but unfortunately, Ford's accounting and legal team cxck block this stuff from getting past them and the customer's pay the cost-just a terrible way to run a business. 

On another note, did anyone read the comments? First one I read is from our old friend RJ! Sounds a little cranky but good to know he is still around.

Richard Jensen  3 days ago

No the buck stops with that idiot Alan Mulally. He was a cancer at Ford and the effects of his reign are still being felt by problem this this garbage transmission.

His entire business model was “profits now, recalls later”. He cut quality to an almost non existent level. It’s astounding how bad he was at at Ford.

Fields was the fall guy for Mulally. Fields genuinely tried to do the right thing and fix what Mulally did but his plan wasn’t fast enough for the Ford family. So they went out and found some fool that sold furniture to run an automotive company.

That doesn't sound like RJ.  I think Matt has been impersonating him on car forums for a few years now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, akirby said:

That doesn't sound like RJ.  I think Matt has been impersonating him on car forums for a few years now.

I agree....I have had some interactions with "Richard Jensen" in Disqus and it is not even remotely "Richard Jensen"-like in the replies....I suspect the same...Mattie the crybaby is at it again. I really wish his mother would stop giving him hot pockets and instead, kick him out of her basement. 

• Haha 2

On 7/7/2019 at 7:48 AM, twintornados said:

Would that 30K service include fresh fluid?

A filter and about + or - 7 Mercon V. But there IS a difference between "maintenance" and "repair". 

Edited by YT90SC

3 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

The real issue is, what is CLOGGING THE FILTER !  If is clutch material, it is too late !!

This is what kills 6F35s. Converter clutch that is slipped too much in a lot of applications for engine NVH dampening. See Fordtech's Party Pack (R) reply.  

Edited by YT90SC

51 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

What ever happened to RJ anyway?

He went into retirement from being a moderator-I think he was just tired of BS from Ford-though not at that level of that posting. I'm sure you can find his last thread some place here about leaving. 

10 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

He went into retirement from being a moderator-I think he was just tired of BS from Ford-though not at that level of that posting. I'm sure you can find his last thread some place here about leaving. 

He left the site completely for the most part.  He didn’t like where Ford was heading and I think he was just tired of all the negativity.

7 hours ago, akirby said:

Richard wouldn’t phrase a criticism like that, it smacks of his old nemesis impersonating him

21 hours ago, akirby said:

He left the site completely for the most part.  He didn’t like where Ford was heading and I think he was just tired of all the negativity.

I remember the "good old days" when RJ and Nick were around.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I remember the "good old days" when RJ and Nick were around.

RJ's moderation techniques were certainly entertaining.   I especially liked the post count limit on Fordbuyer.

But I sure don't miss all the trolls like Biker16.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

RJ's moderation techniques were certainly entertaining.   I especially liked the post count limit on Fordbuyer.

Haha, I remember that.

---

I looked up some of RJ's posts, and basically he left because he didn't like Ford dropping the sedans.  So side note to that, I was thinking on the way to work this morning - they said Focus Active bombed in focus groups.  I wonder if it bombed because it was presented as a "crossover", and if it would have been well received if it was presented as what it was - a hatchback with some cladding?

49 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

So side note to that, I was thinking on the way to work this morning - they said Focus Active bombed in focus groups.  I wonder if it bombed because it was presented as a "crossover", and if it would have been well received if it was presented as what it was - a hatchback with some cladding?

No I think it was deeper then that-the lack of AWD and it looking more like a station wagon didn't help things either. I find the next gen Focus incredibly bland looking and the Escape looks alot like the Focus, which doesn't help things either. 

If it had AWD and was more butchy looking (I'm thinking along the lines of a Baja type car with bigger wheels that are surrounded by cladding and maybe a roof rack) it would be an easier sell to US customers. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Who can forget OtisFordSucks?

• Like 4

There was the "Panther Mafia", thinking Ford should put TV ads for them, thinking it's 1965.

And Biker16 was a one man 'Focus Mafia", expecting the line to be #1 car.

And station wagon fans going "VW has Golf wagon, Ford should too and it would be a huge hit!". Golf wagon is dead, and the non GTi trims, for 2020. So much for that.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Earlier today there where I  believe three articles on the this issue. I  did read  the USA article.  Just went back and USA piece is only one there.  Good thing!