The Voyager is back! (sort of)

PREMiERdrum

I'll never understand Chrysler's historical affinity for selling identical models under different nameplates. 

In this instance - the *exact same van* will be sold *on the exact same lot* with literally the only difference being the badge. 

What problem does this possibly solve?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PREMiERdrum said:

I'll never understand Chrysler's historical affinity for selling identical models under different nameplates. 

In this instance - the *exact same van* will be sold *on the exact same lot* with literally the only difference being the badge. 

What problem does this possibly solve?

I'm still racking my brain as to why they dropped the Town & Country name for the van and used Pacifica. The old Pacifica was a crossover of sorts and was confusing for that name to be used on the van. And now they're changing it so that the lower trims are Voyager but upper trim is Pacifica. WTF?

• akirby changed the title to The Voyager is back! (sort of)
14 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, I don't understand this move at all.

It'd have made more sense if they debuted a "new" Grand Caravan that was just a rebadged low-end Pacifica (what we see here with Voyager).

But the old Grand Caravan is still on sale... and outsells the Pacifica!

What a mess. 

To be fair, the Grand Caravan also has an ATP over ten grand less than the Pacifica.  Even outselling the Pacifica, it still probably makes less total revenue (depending on how you view the tooling costs etc.. even though both the GC and Pacifica are built in the same plant.)

Edited by Anthony

My prediction is the Pacifica name will move to a CUV in a few years?

Also, 'Town & Country' was a "Granny/Nana" name and outdated. No younger buyer wants "Grandpa/Papa's van".

Should make a cargo version and call it "Ram Caravan".

Edited by 630land
grammar

1 hour ago, 630land said:

My prediction is the Pacifica name will move to a CUV in a few years?

Also, 'Town & Country' was a "Granny/Nana" name and outdated. No younger buyer wants "Grandpa/Papa's van".

Should make a cargo version and call it "Ram Caravan".

Well, they've tarnished the Pacifica name by putting it on a minivan if that's the case.  "I have a Pacifica"....."isn't that the minivan?"  "no"

35 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Same logic why Ford doesn't call Police Interceptor Utility by the Explorer name.

Voyager is clearly aimed at the fleet market so having a separate name is not a bad solution.

Not completely analogous, as PI and PIU models are different enough in both interior and exterior configuration that they won't sit on a lot when used up and compete against their civilian counterparts. 

This whole thing seems like a marketing exercise with little benefit answering a question that nobody asked.