3 months with my new Ranger.......

First the good......  body and chassis is first rate.  Incredibly solid, no squeaks,  no rattles.  Cabin is a little noisier than I'd like but acceptable.  Drives and rides very well even for me whose coming from a Grand Marquis.  It's not too firm.   The engine is a jewel.  Fantastic power for a 4 cyl trying to move 4400 lbs.  Amazing acceleration ability.  

What I don't like......  the 10 speed auto.  Too many gears.  No matter how gentle I accelerate, the trans will not go to second gear.  It goes to 3rd and then some lock up stuff seems to be going on in STAGES where the RPM comes down alot and then a little more.  RPMs will reach 2700 in 1st and then drop to 1800 in 3rd.  It's not at all a natural progression like what occurs in my wife's 2014 Flex and what I'm used to all my life.  The Flex shift pattern is completely good from 1st to 6th.  No weirdness in between.  

The Ranger programming causes shifts very early and by 47-48 mph, it's in 10th gear and pulling a very low RPM.  In certain situations, 7th-8th gear, RPMs drop to 1100-1200.  Even if I use SPORT mode, the trans doesn't like to shift to 2nd until RPM's reach into the 2500 area.  My thinking is that, when in SPORT mode,  it should shift when i command it.  Accelerating very modestly from 1st, I will push the button to advance to 2nd but it doesn't respond until 2400-2500 RPM.  There is an uphill road from my house and going from 1st to 3rd in "drive mode" is so unnatural.  2600 -2700 and then RPMS drop severely going into 3rd.  

I'm wondering if Ford or elsewhere can change shift programming to be more natural.   

If you accelerate harder it will use 2nd gear.  In sport mode try starting out in 2nd gear.  Or shift to 2nd then back to 1st.  When you go to S mode and hit the shift button for the first time it has to go from auto to manual mode.  Pre shifting might reduce that time.

My trans is funky when cold going from 1st with a relatively high rev, then goes back down into 3rd.  I keep meaning to bring it in for the TSB for shifts like this, but just hate going to the dealer so much after all of my Focus fiascos that I keep procrastinating.

Edited by Anthony

Maybe I do this

...1...............2...............3............4..............5.............6...........7............8............9.........10

4.69:1......2.98:1.......2.14:1....1.76:1.....1.52:1....1.27:1....1.00:1....0.85:1...0.68:1...0.63:1

...1...............2...............3............4.............................5.............6...........7............8

4.56:1......2.97:1.......2.08:1....1.69:1...................1.27:1....1.00:1.....0.85:1....0.65:1

.........1.................2......................................3..................4....................5.............6

....4.17:1.........2.34:1..............................1.52:1...........1.14:1............0.87:1....0.69:1