Ford cutting 12K jobs, axing 6 plants in Europe

fordeurope.jpg

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/ford-slash-12000-jobs-europe-2020

Ford said it has ceased production at three plants in Russia, is closing plants in France and Wales, and has cut shifts at factories in Valencia, Spain and Saarlouis, Germany. The cuts will reduce its manufacturing footprint in Europe from 24 plants down to 18. 

Approximately 12,000 jobs will be impacted at Ford’s wholly owned facilities and consolidated joint ventures in Europe by the end of 2020, primarily through voluntary separation programs, the automaker said in a statement released on Thursday.

The challenge of investing in electric, hybrid and autonomous vehicles -- while having to overhaul combustion engines to meet new clean-air rules -- has forced Europe's carmakers to slash fixed costs and streamline their model portfolios. 

"We have largely concluded consultations with social partners regarding restructuring actions," Stuart Rowley, president, Ford of Europe told Reuters.

Around 2,000 of the jobs to be cut are salaried positions, which are included among the 7,000 salaried positions Ford is reducing globally, the carmaker said. The rest are workers on hourly contracts or agency workers.

Ford Europe has 51,000 employees in Europe or 65,000 when joint ventures are included.

57 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

One of the articles mentioned Mach E. It caught my eye because the article said the Mach E would arrive in Europe in 2020.

Even though they haven't officially announced it yet, it should be in production in the Mexican plant that is building the Fiesta (which is currently winding down production)

The rumor has it that the Maverick/Scout will get shown off in September and I'd assume the Mach E or whatever they are calling it will be shown off at the LA Auto show with the Bronco some time next year-keep in mind that the NAIAS isn't till June of next year. Unless the Maverick/Scout and Bronco get shown off together as the new sub brand. 

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Even though they haven't officially announced it yet, it should be in production in the Mexican plant that is building the Fiesta (which is currently winding down production)

The rumor has it that the Maverick/Scout will get shown off in September and I'd assume the Mach E or whatever they are calling it will be shown off at the LA Auto show with the Bronco some time next year-keep in mind that the NAIAS isn't till June of next year. Unless the Maverick/Scout and Bronco get shown off together as the new sub brand. 

Jim Hackett hinted earlier this year that we would see Bronco by the end of this year. 

This reminds me of Opel restructuring by PSA.  The brand did not make profit since 1999.  Now with Carlos Tavares, Opel seems to have a future.  I hope Ford, which has not been profitable for years in Europe, can have positive results after the restructuring like Opel

Edited by RadicalX
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Jim Hackett hinted earlier this year that we would see Bronco by the end of this year. 

Even better yet-I’m wondering if Ford is going to try an keep any actual sheet metal mules secret til then by just driving them at night, since any news is like a drop of blood in the water with sharks. Christ, even the Mustang doesn’t seem to get this type of attention...then again. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Even better yet-I’m wondering if Ford is going to try an keep any actual sheet metal mules secret til then by just driving them at night, since any news is like a drop of blood in the water with sharks. Christ, even the Mustang doesn’t seem to get this type of attention...then again. 

Shows you how tight Ford is keeping info but I am surprised that reporters still haven't caught sight of prototypes after dark.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

They did the same thing with the 2015 Mustang.  Prototypes weren't driven at all in daylight until after the big reveal. Since production doesn't start until late next year there's no rush to do daytime testing I guess. 

It sounds to me like they have been given orders by VW to do so!  When you have less of a presence, your sales go down.....believe it!  Those big blue Ford ovals in front of the plants are free, powerful advertising!

Edited by Joe771476

2 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

It sounds to me like they have been given orders by VW to do so!  When you have less of a presence, your sales go down.....believe it!  Those big blue Ford ovals in front of the plants are free, powerful advertising!

These are things Ford would do anyway regardless of the Alliance most of the losses come from engine plant isn UK, Transmission  plant in France, Reductions in personnel in German car plants that make Fiesta, Focus and Sollers Russia JV.