The global auto industry isn't being disrupted

This is sort of along the lines of some of my posts over the last few years... EVs are not disruptive... they are further reinforcing the business model of existing car companies - one that involves building vehicles and selling them to someone.

And the self-driving cars is similarly not disruptive in the same sense that taxi was not disruptive to the car companies business of building and selling cars. You will end up replacing the driver but someone still has to build that car and sell it to someone that operates the car.

All these things that are happening have a common theme... they are entrenching the role of single occupant motor vehicles - the bedrock of the global car industry.

People, particularly reporters who keep using the term disruptive technology are living in the past, disruptive business processes is where real change is being made today.   So things like BEVs, AVs and connectivity are considered products, not change agents, the process that makes them affordable and available to the masses is.

Edited by jpd80

It makes me laugh when I hear that people will stop buying their own cars because the cars will self drive. People with the means to do so have owned their own personal transportation for thousands of years Most of that time of course was horse and chariot/wagon/buggy. Self driving cars are not going to change all those centuries of history.

how did that ever get approved for publication???...electric cars are a good thing in the metro areas....self driving  makes  me want a f450 for the inevitable impact...i fully intend to be able to walk away...the author seems to want gov't mandates to force technology he deems appropriate..he obviously thinks centralized gov't is the answer..stalin offers his approval to this approach.....id have more respect for the author if he would have just come out and admitted he likes centralized gov't...but hey, people took mein kampf as gospel