2020 Explorer production video

It always amazes me to watch these videos and see the complexity that goes into producing a vehicle.

Sidenote, I still hate that Explorer's rear turn signals and reverse lights are regular incandescent bulbs when all others on the vehicle are LED.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

It always amazes me to watch these videos and see the complexity that goes into producing a vehicle.

Sidenote, I still hate that Explorer's rear turn signals and reverse lights are regular incandescent bulbs when all others on the vehicle are LED.

?I thought you could not mix the two-or is that on same circuit?  I was putting a new dump body on my truck and bought LED's (turn signal) that were going in a panel on chassis frame but I had high mounted lights (also turn signal) on body that were not-was told can't mix .

2 hours ago, akirby said:

They really should get that floor fixed.  Looks terrible.

That concrete is like 6 feet thick or something crazy like that. That's a federal thing. Not very easy to fix. 

Usually when they do a complete gut like that, rather than take the studs in the floor out that holds the machines in place they just cut them flush with the floor, that's what they did at MAP. Easier and less time consuming to to that rather than unscrew them and plug thousands of little holes. 

I was disappointed we didn't see the paint process in that video. That's the part I was most curious in. I only got to see that once on the tour of Flat Rock, a long long time ago. I am sure the paint process has changed since then. Overall, it's very interesting to see how these are made. I don't think most people really get how complex auto manufacturing really is. I've only worked at a stamping plant so I've seen the bits created but not the finished product.

3 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I was disappointed we didn't see the paint process in that video. That's the part I was most curious in. I only got to see that once on the tour of Flat Rock, a long long time ago. I am sure the paint process has changed since then. Overall, it's very interesting to see how these are made. I don't think most people really get how complex auto manufacturing really is. I've only worked at a stamping plant so I've seen the bits created but not the finished product.

Organize chaos

33 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That concrete is like 6 feet thick or something crazy like that. That's a federal thing. Not very easy to fix.

It was a joke.  I was referring to the test section with the rocks where I presume they test the suspension and listen for rattles.

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

?I thought you could not mix the two-or is that on same circuit?  I was putting a new dump body on my truck and bought LED's (turn signal) that were going in a panel on chassis frame but I had high mounted lights (also turn signal) on body that were not-was told can't mix .

I don't know.  I just know the entire front assembly is LED standard.  The taillights are LED, but the reverse and rear turn signals aren't, and it looks cheap.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I don't know.  I just know the entire front assembly is LED standard.  The taillights are LED, but the reverse and rear turn signals aren't, and it looks cheap.

No argument-pennywise and pound foolish comes to mind.  In particular as the press seems to be giving it high marks as a competitor to the likes of X5.

51 minutes ago, crozdub115 said:

whats cycle time from beginning to end of production of a explorer?  hours, days, etc?

Generally at most plants it's about 24 hours start to finish. They’re probably not up to full speed at Chicago just yet but that will come with time. 

17 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I swapped out my lights for LEDs on my SHO and they don't seem as bright as the incandescent lights when it comes to backup lights at least. 

On 6/25/2019 at 9:11 AM, rmc523 said:

Ironically on the Ranger XLTs it's the opposite situation. All of the rear taillights, turn signals and back up lights are LED, but everything at the front is incandescent or halogen. ?

30 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

Ironically on the Ranger XLTs it's the opposite situation. All of the rear taillights, turn signals and back up lights are LED, but everything at the front is incandescent or halogen. ?

Ford seems very inconsistent with their lighting.

Explorer comes LEDs all around (aside from the aforementioned reverse/turn signals) and has since like 2015; Edge has LED everything all around.  Meanwhile, the Expedition comes with standard halogens all around, and only gets LEDs on upper trims.