Can civilians purchase the Explorer Police Interceptor?

I still consider myself new in the business, almost a year selling Ford. Had someone message me on Facebook asking if I could get him an Explorer Police Interceptor. Customer is a civilian. The store I work at doesn't do much fleet business and my manager wasn't sure. Thanks in advance for any pearls of knowledge.

3 hours ago, mpcmotorsports said:

I still consider myself new in the business, almost a year selling Ford. Had someone message me on Facebook asking if I could get him an Explorer Police Interceptor. Customer is a civilian. The store I work at doesn't do much fleet business and my manager wasn't sure. Thanks in advance for any pearls of knowledge.

In a word, no. Police units sales are restricted to government, municipal, police and affiliated agencies. 

On 6/22/2019 at 4:01 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

You can possibly find them on the used market at police auctions, though I haven't seen or heard of any Explorer or Taurus PIs being sold off yet. 

There's a decent amount of 5th gen PIUs in civilian hands. Explorerforum has plenty. 

On 6/22/2019 at 12:18 AM, mpcmotorsports said:

Technically, no, if ordering straight from factory. However, there are plenty of used ones you can find at auction. 

You may also find some PIUs that were rejected by the ordering agency (for whatever reason) and sent back to a dealer.

Honestly....with mucho experience gleamed from matters such as this....just dont do it...they will suck even for a trail rig...id take my chances on a new puppy for the kiddos....keep window down...tsb for exhaust is a joke

Edited by snooter

39 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

There are hundreds of "retired" Crown Vics still "patrolling" the streets.  Just down the street from my is a black and white.  No push bars !

A high school friend of mine got a hold of one with the push bars and both spot lights still on it. Many a fun night back in the day messing with kids smoking pot in various parks after dark. Shine a light on them and watch them scatter like roaches! 

2 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

There are hundreds of "retired" Crown Vics still "patrolling" the streets.  Just down the street from my is a black and white.  No push bars !

I have a friend that all he buys is "retired" Crown Vic PI's....claims it is the best used car on the market bar none..his latest one he is currently driving was obtained from South Carolina...flew down and drove it back.

There's used car dealers in Chicago that specialize in selling used police cars/Utes. Quite a few Taurus/Explorer PI's available.

My co-worker has a 2011 CVPI, and he knows they are out of production. I told him that there's used Explorer and Tahoe police trucks now, and he said 'oh cool, I'll get a Tahoe maybe next time."

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/22/2019 at 3:25 AM, ice-capades said:

In a word, no. Police units sales are restricted to government, municipal, police and affiliated agencies. 

I don't understand the reasoning?

It's not like it's top secret military tech, it's not a weapon project, it's just a car with ugraded components.

What's to stop a maker from taking the car, giving it a different name, and maybe swapping the shock brand so it's "different"?  I'm guessing there's a law but it seems silly.

8 hours ago, probowler said:

It's not like it's top secret military tech, it's not a weapon project, it's just a car with ugraded components.

What's to stop a maker from taking the car, giving it a different name, and maybe swapping the shock brand so it's "different"?  I'm guessing there's a law but it seems silly.

It's way more than just upgraded shocks. There's additional body braces, beefier suspension components, armor plating in the doors, plus more that my coffee deprived brain is struggling to think of right now. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, probowler said:

It's all in the details included in the 2020 Police Interceptor Utility Order Guide.

https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/431-2020-police-interceptor-utility-order-guide/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's way more than just upgraded shocks. There's additional body braces, beefier suspension components, armor plating in the doors, plus more that my coffee deprived brain is struggling to think of right now. 

From the 1980 "Blues Brothers" movie:

"It's got a cop motor, a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas." 

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No, you completely misunderstood the point.  The idea is to change the shocks so the vehicle is now different and no longer the "LE model". Basically a dumb go-around to make it sellable to the public.

I want all that shit. Armor plated door, spot lights, all of that sounds awesome! (Or as Mack so well put it... cop motor, cop tires) None of it is illegal for people to own, so it's honestly ridiculous that Ford isn't allowed to sell it publically when anyone could go and upgrade their car themselves, even to exceed the police spec.

Edited by probowler