2019 Lincoln Navigator engine issue

LynnAnn

I am having an issue with the engine making a loud noise when it is first started. Occasionally a squealing noise. Mechanics can’t find anything wrong. After doing further research I found another owner having the same problem. Were we sold lemons? Anybody experiencing this? 

1 minute ago, LynnAnn said:

I am having an issue with the engine making a loud noise when it is first started. Occasionally a squealing noise. Mechanics can’t find anything wrong. After doing further research I found another owner having the same problem. Were we sold lemons? Anybody experiencing this? 

No LynnAnn, you were not sold a lemon...you were sold a vehicle with a warranty and in the case of Lincoln, concierge service to assist you further...have them come get it and leave you a Lincoln loaner and tell them to keep it until it is corrected.  You claim "mechanics can't find anything wrong."...is that at the Lincoln dealership repair bay??

I have a recording of the noise. My dealership said they are not sure where it is coming from. I heard this noise again yesterday. I am not the only Navigator owner with this issue. I am also experiencing vibration under the gas pedal and some shaking. The vehicle jerks when coming to a stop. 

22 hours ago, twintornados said:

No LynnAnn, you were not sold a lemon...you were sold a vehicle with a warranty and in the case of Lincoln, concierge service to assist you further...have them come get it and leave you a Lincoln loaner and tell them to keep it until it is corrected.  You claim "mechanics can't find anything wrong."...is that at the Lincoln dealership repair bay??

Yes I was a sold a vehicle with a warranty but I should not be experiencing a loud noise coming from my New Navigator. With all the issues I am experiencing, I feel it is a lemon. Yes the vehicle was taken to a Lincoln Dealership. I played the recording for them.  My dealership has had my vehicle for 32 days since I bought it. 

22 minutes ago, LynnAnn said:

Yes I was a sold a vehicle with a warranty but I should not be experiencing a loud noise coming from my New Navigator. With all the issues I am experiencing, I feel it is a lemon. Yes the vehicle was taken to a Lincoln Dealership. I played the recording for them.  My dealership has had my vehicle for 32 days since I bought it. 

...and have you started the process of having Lincoln buy it back?? It doesn't matter what you "feel", it is what your State laws define what a "lemon" is. Oh and, by the way, you are not being forced to keep the vehicle....if you are not satisfied with it and do not wish to be bothered with going through the process of your States' lemon law process, I am sure the Cadillac or Mercedes dealership will take in in on trade and you can be free from your "lemon". I am sorry you are having difficulty with your purchase, but don't be alarmed if I am appear to be "jaded" to your postings...I have seen this in the past where a person will join the forum only to bitch and complain about their FoMoCo product in a FoMoCo forum. You will not convince me that I should buy another brand and I am enjoying my second Lincoln SUV after putting well over 100K on my first one....I do hope that your dealership can address your concerns, if not, try another Ford / Lincoln repair shop.  

On 6/21/2019 at 6:50 AM, LynnAnn said:

Could you upload the sound file?  Please provide the mileage, what area of the US you are in, and how fast(car speed) your average drive is.  Also, can you hear these noises over the stereo.  Cars are machines and they make noise, sometimes if you are listening in dead quiet you can hear the starter, turbos, A/C compressor as they start and cycle.  These are all normal.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2019 at 9:40 AM, LynnAnn said:

On 6/21/2019 at 8:22 AM, twintornados said:

...and have you started the process of having Lincoln buy it back?? It doesn't matter what you "feel", it is what your State laws define what a "lemon" is. Oh and, by the way, you are not being forced to keep the vehicle....if you are not satisfied with it and do not wish to be bothered with going through the process of your States' lemon law process, I am sure the Cadillac or Mercedes dealership will take in in on trade and you can be free from your "lemon". I am sorry you are having difficulty with your purchase, but don't be alarmed if I am appear to be "jaded" to your postings...I have seen this in the past where a person will join the forum only to bitch and complain about their FoMoCo product in a FoMoCo forum. You will not convince me that I should buy another brand and I am enjoying my second Lincoln SUV after putting well over 100K on my first one....I do hope that your dealership can address your concerns, if not, try another Ford / Lincoln repair shop.  

I am not on this forum to complain. I do see how it appeared that way.  I am reaching out to other owners who may have or had this problem. If they have, was there a solution to the problem. I have received feedback from other owners that are experiencing my same concerns.  This seems to be a problem for many and nobody is having luck with a solution.  We have all heard about Lemons and know that it does happen. I do know the laws in my state. It is my last resort. If you are familiar with the law then you will know that the buyer does not come out with a winning case. It is a costly process.  Unfortunately Ford dealerships do not want to address the issue. Many customers have been turned away.  My vehicle has been at the dealership since last Wednesday and they do not have a time frame when we are getting it back.  There  is a problem with side mirrors glitching, the steering wheel not going back to the saved memory position, the loud noise coming from the engine area, the passenger leather seat that is starting to come apart.  All this for $91,000 quality and an 8 month old vehicle.  I am certain you would not have wanted to deal with this.  

I am happy to hear that you have a Lincoln that has 100,000 miles on it. They are out there. Vehicles have gotten more complex and are not built the same as 10 years ago. This includes other auto manufacturers... GM, Chevrolet, Cadillac. We owned a Cadillac prior to this and we had several issues. 

@LynnAnn Couple of thoughts, if this is happening on the first start of the morning, aka a cold start, that could explain why the technicians can't find the problem.  If that is the case, you really need to have someone record (with the hood up) your first morning start to capture the noise you are hearing.  You can post the video here as well and maybe someone here could help point you in the correct direction to facilitate service.  Sometimes a good description of the noise is all a mechanic needs to diagnose an issue or begin to find a cause/solution.  You might also suggest they keep it overnight once you have evidence and let them start it cold.

With the free loaner make the shop fix all of your issues.  It is all covered by warranty.  Remember this is the same engine as the F-150 Raptor, so you find also find out if those owners have had similar issues with start.

And lastly, if your dealership is being less than helpful, rate them down on service and find another Lincoln dealer that will help.  

LynnAnn, our 18' navigator has been at the dealership for over a week now, they're still diagnosing the loud engine noise. My navigator sounds like an F250 diesel engine on some cold start, not exactly sure why. They are also working on Glitchy mirrors, Exhaust leaks and rear entertainment screen needed replacement. Do a quick Google search and go to the Raptors forum, there's a big and ongoing thread that many owners of the Raptors are having their cam phasers replaced because of loud noise from cold start, I've scan through it, seems to have alot of good and informative stuff.

Thank you for responding. I am feeling less of a problem to our dealership. My husband said it sounded like an exhaust leak and their mechanic couldn’t find anything wrong. This did not come as a surprise to us.  Thank you for the information. My husband insisted they replace the mirror modules. They called Monday to let us know that the parts are on back order.  I think this should be a sign that I am not the only owner having the same issue.  Thank you for leading me in the right direction. Have you experienced any odd jerking when coming to a stop or a jerk when trying to accelerate fast?  The best I can explain it is: when coming to a stop you feel like you have bumped from behind. Thank you Again! 

We just got our navigator back this afternoon. Must say I'm very disappointed. Car was delivered back to us with a big dent to the rear bumper and super dirty, no complementary wash. immediately contact the dealership and now they gonna have to look at their camera to compare pictures. Our SA was nice about it over the phone and promise to take care of it if found to happen while in service, which Im 110% sure it happen there.  Now to main reasons why we had it serviced in the first place, well after a few hours of having it back, all the problems still exist. Exhaust still leaking, can see the pipe spouted out liquid right at the joint, only can see it before it heated up. the mirror still glitching, happen just now. engine still rattles same as before. Rear screen entertainment is backorder. This was 1 1/2 week at the dealership. Didnt get the repair order yet, suppose to get it via email tomorrow, would be very interesting to see what was done to the car.

Edited by Accer123

• 2 weeks later...

I counted the days that the dealership has had my vehicle.... 55 days so far!  My vehicle is going back to the dealership next week. I have several videos of the engine noise. The air/heat temp control is still not working properly. I couldn’t open the tailgate with the external button. I had to open it with the inside button. My steering wheel still does not stay in the memory position. The part to fix the mirrors are on back order until August 23. 

Do your running boards both deploy when you open either the driver side or passenger side doors?  When I open the driver side doors both running boards deploy. I noticed last week... when I opened the driver side door just the driver side running board came out. I hope this is clear. 

On 8/10/2019 at 9:44 PM, LynnAnn said:

I counted the days that the dealership has had my vehicle.... 55 days so far!  My vehicle is going back to the dealership next week. I have several videos of the engine noise. The air/heat temp control is still not working properly. I couldn’t open the tailgate with the external button. I had to open it with the inside button. My steering wheel still does not stay in the memory position. The part to fix the mirrors are on back order until August 23. 

Do your running boards both deploy when you open either the driver side or passenger side doors?  When I open the driver side doors both running boards deploy. I noticed last week... when I opened the driver side door just the driver side running board came out. I hope this is clear. 

Both running boards should deploy when a door is open.  

On 8/12/2019 at 3:18 PM, LincolnLawyer said:

I have noticed on my 2018 Navigator that both running boards deploy if any of the 4 doors are opened while the engine is off.

When the engine is on, only the running board on the side that a door is opened will deploy. 

Hope this helps. 

This makes the most sense, I’ll see how mine does.

thanks!

On 8/1/2019 at 9:15 PM, Accer123 said:

We just got our navigator back this afternoon. Must say I'm very disappointed. Car was delivered back to us with a big dent to the rear bumper and super dirty, no complementary wash. immediately contact the dealership and now they gonna have to look at their camera to compare pictures. Our SA was nice about it over the phone and promise to take care of it if found to happen while in service, which Im 110% sure it happen there.  Now to main reasons why we had it serviced in the first place, well after a few hours of having it back, all the problems still exist. Exhaust still leaking, can see the pipe spouted out liquid right at the joint, only can see it before it heated up. the mirror still glitching, happen just now. engine still rattles same as before. Rear screen entertainment is backorder. This was 1 1/2 week at the dealership. Didnt get the repair order yet, suppose to get it via email tomorrow, would be very interesting to see what was done to the car.

How did everything go with your vehicle. Our mirrors are not fixed ... waiting for the parts. Engine still sounds funny. I started to really pay attention to the sound... it is on a cold start and when I drive my car feels like my car wants to stall...rides weird. Again this is so hard to explain. Once you get driving for about 10 minutes, it seems normal. My vehicle started making a horrible thump when you break hard. I had to stop quickly (light turned yellow) we stopped and it felt like we were hit from behind and then made a terrible noise. This has happened five times. I have to call my dealership tomorrow. 

I hope everything turned out. Another owner is having the same engine noise and mirror problem. He finally hired a lawyer.  I am still waiting to see how that turned out. 

We just got our Navigator back from the dealership, a total of 4 weeks there. My experience has been extremely frustrating with the dealership. Very hard to communicate with them, had to get corporate involved and was assigned to a very pleasant rep, the rep's even had a hard time communicating with the dealer. Spoke to service director, and he promised to have a body shop that is certified to work on Lincoln fixes the gouge/dent that some idiot there caused. I track the car daily via Lincoln Way app and saw that they dropped the car off at some random no names to do the body work. I can see where they did bondo and the blending is horrible. To keep it short, for engine noise they replaced the camshaft and sprockets, its still too new for me to see if the loud noises still exist. They found no exhaust leak even though i told them where is the leak and show the SA a video of the leak. No resolution for the mirrors yet. Now my other screen for the entertainment is not working, was working fine before dropping it off 4 weeks ago. They're going to replace both instead just one, just have to wait because of backed order. I truly expected alot better from Lincoln, since there are very few dealers in my area, I dont have much options. I've owned numerous cars from many manufacturers and i can tell you that Lincoln is far behind on the their service level wise compary to others luxury brand.

Tell your dealership to look into your navigator to check for any codes and diagnose to see if  the noises are related to camshaft/cam phasers. 

Edited by Accer123

27 minutes ago, Accer123 said:

We just got our Navigator back from the dealership, a total of 4 weeks there. My experience has been extremely frustrating with the dealership. Very hard to communicate with them, had to get corporate involved and was assigned to a very pleasant rep, the rep's even had a hard time communicating with the dealer. Spoke to service director, and he promised to have a body shop that is certified to work on Lincoln fixes the gouge/dent that some idiot there caused. I track the car daily via Lincoln Way app and saw that they dropped the car off at some random no names to do the body work. I can see where they did bondo and the blending is horrible. To keep it short, for engine noise they replaced the camshaft and sprockets, its still too new for me to see if the loud noises still exist. They found no exhaust leak even though i told them where is the leak and show the SA a video of the leak. No resolution for the mirrors yet. Now my other screen for the entertainment is not working, was working fine before dropping it off 4 weeks ago. They're going to replace both instead just one, just have to wait because of backed order. I truly expected alot better from Lincoln, since there are very few dealers in my area, I dont have much options. I've owned numerous cars from many manufacturers and i can tell you that Lincoln is far behind on the their service level wise compary to others luxury brand.

Tell your dealership to look into your navigator to check for any codes and diagnose to see if  the noises are related to camshaft/cam phasers. 

Is your dealer a standalone Lincoln or is it a combined Ford Lincoln dealer? Also the bumper should be replaced if you can see the repair job. That is on the dealer. If they don't you could take legal action, plus make sure corporate knows as well.

Don't blame Lincoln for things they can't control.  Each dealer is an independent business that Ford can't control by law.  There are good dealers and bad dealers.  Sucks if you have a bad one without other options but honestly there isn't much Ford/Lincoln can do about a dealer with poor customer service.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:48 PM, Flying68 said:

Is your dealer a standalone Lincoln or is it a combined Ford Lincoln dealer? Also the bumper should be replaced if you can see the repair job. That is on the dealer. If they don't you could take legal action, plus make sure corporate knows as well.

a small standalone dealer.

13 hours ago, akirby said:

Don't blame Lincoln for things they can't control.  Each dealer is an independent business that Ford can't control by law.  There are good dealers and bad dealers.  Sucks if you have a bad one without other options but honestly there isn't much Ford/Lincoln can do about a dealer with poor customer service.

You might have misunderstood, not blaming anyone. We all have expectations on many level, I'm just stating my expectations and my personal experience so far. The regional rep that was assigned to my case is very nice. hopefully, corporate is able to get this straighten out for us, we'll see.

9 hours ago, Accer123 said:

a small standalone dealer.

You might have misunderstood, not blaming anyone.

You said you expected a lot better from Lincoln so I thought you were blaming Lincoln corporate.  A lot of folks don't understand that even though Ford or Lincoln is on the sign the dealers don't work for Ford and operate independently thanks to state franchise laws.