GM Considering electric Hummer

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/17/electric-hummer-gm/

If they don't call it Humv-E, I'll be disappointed.

GM is reportedly considering a return to the Hummer brand, but not in the traditional Hummerway. No, a report from Bloomberg says that GM is mulling over the idea of building an electric Hummer. The report cites unnamed sources within GM, as the folks prefer not to be named due to the private nature of the conversations.

At this point, Bloomberg characterizes the Hummer talks as preliminary discussions. GM is figuring out how it wants to organize its future electric trucks and SUVs, and Hummer is a part of those discussions. Just as anyone would expect, Hummer could be used to profit off the current demand for rugged and tough vehicles. Mark Reuss didn't commit either way to a Hummer revival when asked by Bloomberg. "I love Hummer. I don't know. We're looking at everything," Reuss said.

Other GM sources said that the company sees an opportunity to compete with Jeep for off-road vehicles that have creature comforts commanding high premiums. The report states that designers have done work with Hummer concepts, experimenting with Hummer styling to implement it on GMC-branded products, too.

Edited by rmc523

Have you noticed that GM never does anything "across the board" at a company level?  It's always either one vehicle at a time (Volt, then Bolt e.g.) or only one brand.

It's like watching a concert with 20 different 1 hit wonders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, akirby said:

Have you noticed that GM never does anything "across the board" at a company level?  It's always either one vehicle at a time (Volt, then Bolt e.g.) or only one brand.

This is a fantastic analogy :hysterical:

And people say the fiefdoms or cliques in Ford management are bad. This is a whole different level.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

40 minutes ago, akirby said:

OK, that's a good analogy.  Except I can't recall the last time I've seen anything to be what I would consider a "wonder" from GM.

More like, "I wonder what the hell GM what thinking this time."

51 minutes ago, 92merc said:

OK, that's a good analogy.  Except I can't recall the last time I've seen anything to be what I would consider a "wonder" from GM.

More like, "I wonder what the hell GM what thinking this time."

Good point!   I mean, as much as I scoffed at the Volt for being 1950s locomotive technology (which it is) it was still a plug in hybrid with 50 mile range.  Imagine if they had applied that technology to all their crossovers or trucks/SUVs?  Same with Bolt.   Good technology, bad packaging.  But again - one and done.   Bespoke platforms for Cadillac that were only later shared with other brands/vehicles.   Absolutely no cohesive product strategy that I can see across brands.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, akirby said:

Absolutely no cohesive product strategy that I can see across brands.

That's pretty much the way I see it as well.  On one hand, they try something new.  But it's more of a "lets throw that up and see if it sticks to the wall".  IE new Silverado, Bolt, etc.  But then they do stuff like keep churning out the same basic Cadillac car packages thinking some little change will make all the difference.   It makes no sense.

This is great news if true. GM has a lot to gain if they're successful bringing a line of Hummer BEVs to market. Even Autoextremist is encouraged by the possibility. http://www.autoextremist.com/

"But now, the fact that Mary Barra and Mark Reuss are seriously investigating bringing the Hummer brand back – in all-electric form – is really encouraging news. It’s ballsy and bold and suggests that good things – and thinking – are happening at GM at this very minute. It also underscores the internal push to electrification going on at GM right now. Mary Barra has openly stated that GM is building toward an “all-electric future,” but I don’t think people realize what that actually means, or how all-encompassing this new product push will be. GM is hard at work developing BEVs for every segment it currently competes in. Think about that fact for a moment. Yes, the transition from ICE vehicles will take time (and ICEs will still be available for years and years to come), but by 2025 we will see a significant BEV presence on our roads, and GM plans on leading the way with a full range of available BEVs, including, as rumors suggest, the return of Hummer.

Okay, it’s time to pour a giant bucket of realistic on the proceedings here, because the likelihood of seeing an all-electric Hummer on the streets and byways of America anytime soon is pretty much a nonstarter. I am guessing five years from right now is a realistic expectation for the Hummer product cadence to begin, but even so I believe the future for this resuscitated brand is definitely on an upward trajectory.

Brands come and go in this business. Some are jettisoned to the dustheap of automotive history never to return, while others are brought back to have another moment in the sun. That the Hummer brand was cut short due to the bankruptcy (and the hordes of pitchfork-wielding, politically correct zealots who wanted it to die) has been well-documented. 

But Hummer was never just an ordinary brand that would go away quietly, or for good, for that matter. There were plenty of True Believers – both inside and outside of GM – who believed in the efficacy of the Hummer brand and considered its carefully crafted premise as the ultimate off-road vehicle to have barely scratched the surface and that there was much more to come. That GM is now considering bringing it back, with none of the lingering negatives previously associated with it, is indeed impressive. 

The possibilities for visual and engineering creativity with a BEV Hummer should be exciting to contemplate in the coming years."

57 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

This is great news if true. GM has a lot to gain if they're successful bringing a line of Hummer BEVs to market. Even Autoextremist is encouraged by the possibility. http://www.autoextremist.com/

Instead of spending all that money on a specialty vehicle why not electrify all their mainstream utilities and trucks?

I know, I know - they're working on it.

• Haha 1