Ford's Plan To Boost Mustang Sales Will Make Buyers Happy

Interesting.....but surely incentives at this time of year (the '20MY cars will be hitting the lots within a couple of months) are nothing new.

In order to keep sales strong, what's needed is a continuously improved product. News on the (rumored) '21MY refresh is thin on the ground......I'd have thought we'd be seeing camo'd prototypes by now if it was coming for the '21MY? 

24 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

Interesting.....but surely incentives at this time of year (the '20MY cars will be hitting the lots within a couple of months) are nothing new.

In order to keep sales strong, what's needed is a continuously improved product. News on the (rumored) '21MY refresh is thin on the ground......I'd have thought we'd be seeing camo'd prototypes by now if it was coming for the '21MY? 

We have seen camo'd prototypes.  They've indicated minimal changes (different bumpers), at least what we've seen so far.

Edited by rmc523

Well, yes, this one.........different bumpers? Hardly worth the effort if that's all it is!  The bumper looks 95% the same as the current car, other than what's covered by the black 'tarp. Hardly enough to get '18-current owners to trade up.

Seventh-Generation-Ford-Mustang-Hybrid-P

Edited by Twin Turbo

19 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

Well, yes, this one.........different bumpers? Hardly worth the effort if that's all it is!  The bumper looks 95% the same as the current car, other than what's covered by the black 'tarp. Hardly enough to get '18-current owners to trade up.

Seventh-Generation-Ford-Mustang-Hybrid-P

Exactly, I hate when Ford does this.   Real styling changes are what attract people’s attention and creates desire to upgrade. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll admit, I was thinking (hoping) this was just a "placeholder" bumper. The one thing that IS apparent is the turn signal lamp is higher up and closer to the headlamp.....I was thinking this could just be a hacked up '18 bumper with the new lamp in place.......although why they'd test just that even I can't explain. I was hoping for a significant change like we're going to see with the '21 F150.

But if this is the only change......I'll be severely disappointed.....especially if the NG/S650 is as far away as rumor suggests.

8 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

In the grand scheme of things, how many people actually have 3 year leases on Mustangs? 

21 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

I'm hoping for a complete front redesign. This grill has been everywhere from EcoSport to Transit, and we need an entirely new direction. But in saying that, do not even think about looking at the new Explorer front end for inspiration.

They just need something that would cause a 2015 owner to say "I'll trade up for that".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

They just need something that would cause a 2015 owner to say "I'll trade up for that".

Absolutely this ^..............but if that "camo'd" S550 is all we're getting, it won't be nearly enough. The '18 front end came in for a lot of flack when it was revealed (but then most Mustang refreshes are met with horror.....but people soon warm up to it)........but I think Saleen (thanks to Sean Smith) has a great looking front bumper.

f0b27d3d22454f10859f3f162897fcf4.jpg

A vw diesel as i am sure they have a warehouse full of em especially now cobsideting  the 2 seem to be in a dating relationship..or they could finally give us a 351 again....the latter i would suggest is the  better option...61 days on the lot????....my dealer has may be 6 and none of i would even consider...must be a bunch of em sitting somewhere...not around these wood though

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, Twin Turbo said:

Absolutely this ^..............but if that "camo'd" S550 is all we're getting, it won't be nearly enough. The '18 front end came in for a lot of flack when it was revealed (but then most Mustang refreshes are met with horror.....but people soon warm up to it).......

If I was a designer. the last thing I would want to hear is "people will warm up to it". I would want to wow people, and have them flocking to the showrooms to check it out.

Edited by Trailhiker

I understand the point of styling changes to stimulate sales.   Personally, I care more about upgrades under the skin but I am probably not typical.   The 2018 Mustang was a pretty significant upgrade over previous models due to the 10 speed automatic, the configurable instrument cluster, the Gen 3 Coyote engine and a few other things.    Sales would be stronger if not for all of the chatter about engine ticks and rattles as well as issues with the 6M shift forks.     Mustang enthusiasts likely pay more attention to social media than buyers of automotive appliances.    I am absolutely convinced that the endless complaints on of engine noises scared off some potential buyers.

8 minutes ago, brucelinc said:

Mustang enthusiasts likely pay more attention to social media than buyers of automotive appliances.    I am absolutely convinced that the endless complaints on of engine noises scared off some potential buyers.

I agree to an extent but I still think the percentage of enthusiast buyers who care about such things is still pretty small - single digits I would guess.

Could be nothing more than wishful thinking, but R&T seem to think the refresh would be significant. For me, it makes sense to launch a redreshed model with or at least shortly before, the hybrid model is revealed.

Its strange.........rumors were strong (and mostly correct) on when Mustang received all it's updates from the '10MY S197, through to the '13 refresh, then the '15 all new model. If you kept a close enough eye on Mustang forums, you had a pretty good idea of exactly when those refreshes would debut, but since the '18 refresh, it seems either Ford keep changing their timelines, or those usually accurate sources have lost their touch. Originally we heard S650/NG would be a '21MY.....then '23MY......and now as far out as '26 or even '28/'29!!! 

"We know what the immediate future for the Ford Mustang looks like—a new Shelby GT500 later this year, and not too long after, a hybrid version. But the long-term plan for the Mustang is a little murkier. Automobile reports that we haven't heard a whole lot about a new Mustang because it's actually quite far away. An anonymous source speaking to the magazine said that a truly all-new Mustang might not arrive until the 2026 model year, while another guessed that it might not be until 2028 or 2029.

In the interim, Ford will reportedly roll out a heavily revised version of the current S550-generation Mustang with new bodywork. The Mustang hybrid was supposed to arrive with this mid-cycle refresh in 2020, though Automobile says it's been delayed to early 2022 now."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a27017650/ford-mustang-next-generation-s650-rumors/

Actually, I should be quoting Automobile, as that's where it initiated.

Anyone on here know when S650/NG is really due? And is the S550 refresh really '21MY?

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/next-ford-mustang-details-on-sale-info/

"One source says the CD6 Mustang, which goes by the codename S650, appears to be delayed at least to the 2026 model year, while another source guesses 2028 or 2029, either of which makes it less of a product plan than a promise to keep building the icon. In the interim, the S550 Mustang will receive a major mid-cycle facelift to update its current D2C platform and reskin it with new sheetmetal from nose to tail, which will require some underbody work. It’s the mid-cycle D2C update that will spawn a Mustang hybrid, although that car is said to be delayed slightly from the 2021 model year to early in calendar-year 2022"

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Shift forks seem to have been an issue since the Fox body days-How much of it is driver misuse/abuse-you have to wonder at times. 

I have no doubt that driver abuse plays a role.   There is a service bulletin on the 2018s, though.   Since Ford issued service bulletins for the 2018 M6 shift forks as well as the engine ticks and rattles, the social media storm has subsided somewhat.    It was brutal for awhile on Mustang forums and Facebook Mustang groups.

2 hours ago, brucelinc said:

I have no doubt that driver abuse plays a role.   There is a service bulletin on the 2018s, though.   Since Ford issued service bulletins for the 2018 M6 shift forks as well as the engine ticks and rattles, the social media storm has subsided somewhat.    It was brutal for awhile on Mustang forums and Facebook Mustang groups.

Has there been one on the 10-speed?

There have also been complaints of harsh engagements and rough shifts with the A10 in Mustangs.   PCM reflashes usually fix those issues.   It seems that many Mustang owners complain loudly and often before actually taking their cars to the dealer for a fix.   

20 minutes ago, brucelinc said:

There have also been complaints of harsh engagements and rough shifts with the A10 in Mustangs.   PCM reflashes usually fix those issues.   It seems that many Mustang owners complain loudly and often before actually taking their cars to the dealer for a fix.   

This is actually why I was asking.  Some shifts (downshifts especially) on mine seem to.....lurch?.....for lack of a better term.  As if it sort of hesitates to shift mid shift.  Not horribly, and I don't know if it's perceptible to passengers, but I notice it.