TFL: Silverado 1500 diesel

MY93SHO

7 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

omg.. the front of that truck in that video shot is just...  Ughhhh..

I swear the media tries to use the ugliest versions of the truck as advertisement lol.

That’s funny because I tend to think the monochromatic appearance packages are the best looking of the Chevy packages. Although it’s very difficult to polish a turd. 

I can not like the new Silverado. The Sierra,  I can live with. Only a couple colors can I stomach the new truck. The front is ugly and the rear taillights and gate just don’t look right to me from a 3/4 view. It’s just not a handsome truck. The previous generations were mostly handsome even with the ridiculous wheel wells.  This truck is a swing and miss for me. I thought the f150 In 2015 was a swing and a huge hit. Regardless what the critics predicted. The new ram is a big hit also. They checked all the right boxes for the market. 

10 hours ago, twintornados said:

As long as they don't mind the front of the engine sticking out past the grille.....lol

Will GM redesign Colorado/Canyon to accept the 3.0 I-6 diesel or is it orphaned to the Silverado/Sierra and full sized SUVs?

The main draw back with using an I-6 configuration is that engine length prevents its use in an I-4/V6 engine bay, RWD or Transverse. I know that with the ending of D3, Ford will never need a FWD/AWD V6 diesel but it had that option with the V6 Powerstroke and there's always Ranger and Transit to consider as well....

Edited by jpd80

On 6/17/2019 at 4:47 PM, akirby said:

The ones I've seen in person do look better than the pictures, but still not great.

The profile work is completely fine, but I can't fathom how the Chevrolet version left the studio as it did. It's not a cheap design.. the complex flares and angles are a lot.. but there is absolutely no concept of massing and focusing on either the front or rear end treatments. The eye isn't given a target, so it scans the whole work looking for one... causing the individual elements to look disjointed and even more out of scale than they actually are.

All I can believe is that GM has created another list of "must" attributes for each brand, as outlined by Maximum Bob a few years back. 

Design becomes less about form and shaping and more about checking boxes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

The profile work is completely fine, but I can't fathom how the Chevrolet version left the studio as it did. It's not a cheap design.. the complex flares and angles are a lot.. but there is absolutely no concept of massing and focusing on either the front or rear end treatments. The eye isn't given a target, so it scans the whole work looking for one... causing the individual elements to look disjointed and even more out of scale than they actually are.

All I can believe is that GM has created another list of "must" attributes for each brand, as outlined by Maximum Bob a few years back. 

Design becomes less about form and shaping and more about checking boxes.

Was behind a chevy yesterday. The "CHEVROLET" so high up on the tailgate was just off-putting.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:45 PM, blwnsmoke said:

omg.. the front of that truck in that video shot is just...  Ughhhh..

I swear the media tries to use the ugliest versions of the truck as advertisement lol.

It kinda looks like one of those Transformer toys that doesn't seem to fit perfectly when coverting from robot back to vehicle form.

On 6/23/2019 at 10:27 AM, MY93SHO said:

Was behind a chevy yesterday. The "CHEVROLET" so high up on the tailgate was just off-putting.

Yeah, the whole design of the new Silverado is oddly tall, with all the design elements pushed up toward the top of the bodywork, which skews the look upward.  Not a good look.

RMC523, I think you nailed it. The Suburban and Tahoe are the same height, but they put the sharp character lines down the sides of the vehicle, accenting the length of the truck over the height. The character lines on the Silverado swirl about with no gestalt making it look somewhat blobby and putting the focus back on the height and making it not look trim and fit like the SUVs, which I do think are very good looking.

On 6/22/2019 at 4:56 PM, jpd80 said:

Will GM redesign Colorado/Canyon to accept the 3.0 I-6 diesel or is it orphaned to the Silverado/Sierra and full sized SUVs?

The main draw back with using an I-6 configuration is that engine length prevents its use in an I-4/V6 engine bay, RWD or Transverse. I know that with the ending of D3, Ford will never need a FWD/AWD V6 diesel but it had that option with the V6 Powerstroke and there's always Ranger and Transit to consider as well....

Meh. Ford managed to fit the old 300/4.9 with it's 4.48" bore spacing in E Series. Where there's a will, there's a way. Plus I doubt any clean sheet straight six of 3.0L displacement has anywhere near 4" bores.

I'm not disputing that the C/C can't be redesigned to accept the I-6, it's just another thing GM now has to do before it can use the I-6. Let's also not forget that the engine bay of a mid-sized truck is much smaller than the doghouse of an E Series van which  is more like  the engine compartment of  a full sized truck

Edited by jpd80