SuperCab w/ 5.5' box

HotRunrGuy

Based on looks, no.  Much prefer my 6.5' SC.   However, I just started parking in the garage in the new house and I have to basically touch the wall with the front bumper to fit (with about 3 inches to spare).   Now I see why people prefer Rangers sometimes.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

So I took a ride this weekend to see one of these, unfortunately only offered in a Raptor version at this time. Hard to swallow a $50-60K truck just to get this combination of cab & box. Anyone else think this combination has merit?

HRG

cc_2019FOT110071_03_640_E7.png

The combo was available in the standard F150 for a few years ('04-08 I believe) and I actually liked the look of it.  Apparently, sales weren't enough to justify keeping it.

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Based on looks, no.  Much prefer my 6.5' SC.   However, I just started parking in the garage in the new house and I have to basically touch the wall with the front bumper to fit (with about 3 inches to spare).   Now I see why people prefer Rangers sometimes.

Dude, you mean you didn't spec the garage to be long enough?  

23 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Dude, you mean you didn't spec the garage to be long enough?  

Hey, it fits!   But no, the builder wouldn't change the depth of the garage - that would have changed the entire right side of the house.  We did have the door upsized to 16'.   The standard 15' would not have worked very well.

I don't understand why they have downsized garages around here.  When we built our first house we got double 8 footers and singles were 16.   Now it's 7 and 15.  And sometimes they don't leave you enough room to even open the doors if you can squeeze in.   Our rental house was that way - the garages were unusable unless you had a Miata or some other tiny car.  Everybody parked in the driveway.

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

Hey, it fits!   But no, the builder wouldn't change the depth of the garage - that would have changed the entire right side of the house.  We did have the door upsized to 16'.   The standard 15' would not have worked very well.

I don't understand why they have downsized garages around here.  When we built our first house we got double 8 footers and singles were 16.   Now it's 7 and 15.  And sometimes they don't leave you enough room to even open the doors if you can squeeze in.   Our rental house was that way - the garages were unusable unless you had a Miata or some other tiny car.  Everybody parked in the driveway.

That doesn't make any sense.  With cars getting bigger, and SUVs and trucks becoming more popular, why make things smaller?

Our garage is YUUUGE!  25' deep, garage doors are 10' wide and 7'-6" tall.  Plenty of room to park the Super Duty!  Even room for a crew cab long bed if I decide to go dually in the future (no plans for that though).  :)  Of course, ours was completely custom built, so that makes a big difference.

47 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

That doesn't make any sense.  With cars getting bigger, and SUVs and trucks becoming more popular, why make things smaller?

Our garage is YUUUGE!  25' deep, garage doors are 10' wide and 7'-6" tall.  Plenty of room to park the Super Duty!  Even room for a crew cab long bed if I decide to go dually in the future (no plans for that though).  :)  Of course, ours was completely custom built, so that makes a big difference.

I think it’s just cost cutting in most cases.  People don’t think about it until they’ve already purchased.  Our plan was to build custom but couldn’t find the right lot in the right location with the right utilities.  I was able to change the 2 car to a 3 car with the wider door and increase my workshop (4th garage) from 12 to 16 feet with a 8 foot door, so all in all I’m happy.  This was a semi custom corporate builder who doesn’t always make those types of changes.  In fact the realtor told us they wouldn’t be doing any more.  The architects didn’t update the plans correctly and it caused construction delays and rework.

When I built a house in 2008, I added depth to 28 feet on my garage.  I have a 7x9 door, and a 7x16.  I had enough height in my garage, I now wish I would have done 8 foot high doors.  And I would have gone from 2 doors to three.  Make all three 8x10's.  Would have added 5 feet of width to my garage.  But I could have done it.  If I could go back in time and get to change only one thing about my house build, that would have been it.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer a 6.5 bed in f150 but in a f250 i would get a 8 foot bed you can never seem to have to much room with hunting between dog boxes, coolers and tool box. i dont think a crew cab f150 would look real good with a 8 foot bed though.

Edited by 143lineman

• 3 weeks later...