Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
MY93SHO

TFL 2020 Explorer ST mini review

Recommended Posts

I forgot to point it out earlier.  What was with the exhaust outlets having massive cutouts on the bottom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Pretty much everyone I know raises the hood to add WW fluid or check the oil. Of course, I'm fairly closely aligned with the Tool & Die trade, we're not afraid of a little dirt on our hands,,,,,

HRG

You're definitely in the minority.   Most new car/suv buyers have the dealer or jiffy lube do their maintenance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, akirby said:

You're definitely in the minority.   Most new car/suv buyers have the dealer or jiffy lube do their maintenance.

Most = 51+%, I agree.  But, your 95% claim reeks of hyperbole.

HRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I forgot to point it out earlier.  What was with the exhaust outlets having massive cutouts on the bottom?

I was wondering if it helped with carbon buildup on the tailpipes?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Most = 51+%, I agree.  But, your 95% claim reeks of hyperbole.

HRG

I didn't say it was 95% of all car owners - I said 95% of new car buyers (which is probably still high), especially higher priced vehicles like Explorer and Aviator.  Most lease these vehicles and some come with free maintenance so they just bring it to the dealer for service and never open the hood in between.  Most of the others just take it to a local oil change place.  That's really the only maintenance required for the first 5 years.

So let's reframe the question - how many 2020 Explorer owners are going to be opening their hood on a regular basis for maintenance?   I'd say it's less than 20% for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, akirby said:

I didn't say it was 95% of all car owners - I said 95% of new car buyers (which is probably still high), especially higher priced vehicles like Explorer and Aviator.  Most lease these vehicles and some come with free maintenance so they just bring it to the dealer for service and never open the hood in between.  Most of the others just take it to a local oil change place.  That's really the only maintenance required for the first 5 years.

So let's reframe the question - how many 2020 Explorer owners are going to be opening their hood on a regular basis for maintenance?   I'd say it's less than 20% for sure.

 

Only the ones that regularly go to vehicle forums (enthusiasts).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

It's the stuff that I check the levels of on my Fusion at least once a month. I know, I am an outlier. 

As a truck driver; I have a habit of checking my oil everytime I fuel up. I extended that habit to my personal life as well. 

 

Funny story: in 1994, my wife was driving a 1993 Thunderbird LX with a 5.0 HO. It was near the end of its oil service life and I happened to fill it up for her. I pulled the stick and it was probably 3/4 quart low. I asked her how much oil it was burning between changes and she responded that she didn't know. I told her "the next time I pull your oil stick and it's more than a 1/2 quart low; I'm going to sell your T-Bird and buy you a used Yugo!" Problem fixed 😖

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, akirby said:

I didn't say it was 95% of all car owners - I said 95% of new car buyers (which is probably still high), especially higher priced vehicles like Explorer and Aviator.  Most lease these vehicles and some come with free maintenance so they just bring it to the dealer for service and never open the hood in between.  Most of the others just take it to a local oil change place.  That's really the only maintenance required for the first 5 years.

So let's reframe the question - how many 2020 Explorer owners are going to be opening their hood on a regular basis for maintenance?   I'd say it's less than 20% for sure.

No, you said 95% of owners. Go back and look at your post. If you are NOW saying 80% of 2020 Explorer owners might never open the hood themselves, that might be more believable.

HRG

95% claim.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

72.6% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But really who cares.  A ton of people (and I'd definitely say a good majority) don't even know which wheels power the car, I doubt they open the hood much, whatever the actual percentages are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

No, you said 95% of owners. Go back and look at your post. If you are NOW saying 80% of 2020 Explorer owners might never open the hood themselves, that might be more believable.

You're correct.   I thought I clarified it but I did not.  That's what I was thinking though so you should have known that.  :lol2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

72.6% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Closer to 77.65%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I forgot to point it out earlier.  What was with the exhaust outlets having massive cutouts on the bottom?

 

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I was wondering if it helped with carbon buildup on the tailpipes?! 

This was the fix for carbon monoxide issues in the rear on the current car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Because they are the only ones to post a review? Lol

That and someone mentioned the embargo was in effect until next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

 

This was the fix for carbon monoxide issues in the rear on the current car. 

Correct, no exhaust flows out the back, if you look up the pipes you will see the diverter.  Definitely make it easy to keep the chrome tips clean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, akirby said:

Of course it's cheap.  Nobody said it wasn't.  But it's also cheaper for the owner in the long run (not having to replace struts) and not having to worry about the hood falling on your head.

My 08 Focus has struts on the decklid and I've replaced them twice. My Fusion has a cool (and very simple) trick hidden twist-beam spring system to open the trunk. I think I know what I would prefer 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

I guess we know where those trucks of Explorer's were going...

 

610422774_ScreenShot2019-06-12at4_04_49PM.thumb.png.d99711c3c136b2279c76346c5763d0c9.png

That's not Michigan though, he said at the very beginning he was in Oregon.

Besides there's  more than just STs on the trucks I've been seeing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 12:36 PM, silvrsvt said:

I wonder why it doesn't have hood struts-does the Aviator have them?

There is a new YouTube video posted by an auto dealer which confirms the Aviator has gas hood struts. 

The gentleman also pointed out (and I hadn’t noticed) the Audi-esque hood design -   very nice.  Now if I can only decide on an exterior colour I’d place my order!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I’m surprised that people aren’t insisting on heated and cooled hood release catches

A luxury car should have the hood open automatically just by thinking about it.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×