TFL 2020 Explorer ST mini review

4 minutes ago, Deanh said:

Ive seen the car in the flesh...looks great from the rear, side view is stunning...front doesn't do it for me....

I'd agree, though the rear is a bit too similar to the outgoing one for my tastes.

The difference between the old and new one is much more apparent in person though.  The old one looks bloated, where the new one looks sleek and trim.

9 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I wonder why it doesn't have hood struts-does the Aviator have them?

Because it’s a Ford.  I don’t mind the prop rods - they never wear out or need to be replaced.  

That said I’m sure the Aviator gets struts like my MKX.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Because it’s a Ford.  I don’t mind the prop rods - they never wear out or need to be replaced.  

To me there's no excuse for a prop rod in a $50,000 vehicle. My 15 Edge has struts. If Ford wants to take the Explorer upmarket, fine. Don't cheapen it with features like this.  Struts won't need to be replaced  if good quality ones are used.

• Like 2

Just now, Trader 10 said:

To me there's no excuse for a prop rod in a $50,000 vehicle. My 15 Edge has struts. If Ford wants to take the Explorer upmarket, fine. Don't cheapen it with features like this.  Struts won't need to be replaced  if good quality ones are used.

Right, my SHO has them also-that is why I brought it up...

8 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

95% of owner’s never even open their hood so how would they know?

• Like 3

Nothing says "quality" like having the hood fall on your head when you are under it. Won't happen with a rod. Plus 99.5% of buyers of these will never open the hood themselves so rod vs strut is moot. 

Be more concerned with what they chose for a brake booster. Seriously. Thought they learned their lesson, but apparently not.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, akirby said:

My Flex has struts.  My Mustang has a prop rod too.  From 2011 on Explorer hasn't had struts, which I think is cheap, especially as it moves upmarket.

I don’t like the taller tablet screen either but I’m pretty sure you can opt for a slightly smaller horizontal unit that looks much better IMO.  I might warm up to the front end over time but agree with others it just doesn’t look as good as the rest of the vehicle. 

3 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Agreed. And if it's not cheap, why do the Lincoln models have struts?

Of course it's cheap.  Nobody said it wasn't.  But it's also cheaper for the owner in the long run (not having to replace struts) and not having to worry about the hood falling on your head.

3 minutes ago, Chromey said:

I don’t like the taller tablet screen either but I’m pretty sure you can opt for a slightly smaller horizontal unit that looks much better IMO.  I might warm up to the front end over time but agree with others it just doesn’t look as good as the rest of the vehicle. 

I get the feeling that the vertical tablet design will take some getting used to. However, I think once you do it will be easier to see/use than current design.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chromey said:

Yes but then you give up the massaging seats.  If you want those, tablet screen it is. 

4 minutes ago, Chromey said:

The tall screen is optional on ST and Platinums as part of the Technology package along with the multi countour seats and B&O sound system.

26 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Sir, what data do you have to back up your number?

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/many-americans-dont-know-basic-car-care-study-finds

HRG

No surveys just common sense and observation.   95% might be a little high but I guarantee it's a high number.  Think of everyone you know - coworkers, family, friends and then think of how many of those people would open the hood to check oil or something else.

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

No surveys just common sense and observation.   95% might be a little high but I guarantee it's a high number.  Think of everyone you know - coworkers, family, friends and then think of how many of those people would open the hood to check oil or something else.

What is this oil you speak of?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, akirby said:

Think of everyone you know - coworkers, family, friends and then think of how many of those people would open the hood to check oil or something else.

Pretty much everyone I know raises the hood to add WW fluid or check the oil. Of course, I'm fairly closely aligned with the Tool & Die trade, we're not afraid of a little dirt on our hands,,,,,

HRG