Finally spent time with new Aviator

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I am going to say this now and it might sound ridiculous. This is just a guess but I think the GT will be the quickest Lincoln ever produced. The MKZ 3.0 is mighty quick and fast but I honestly think 10 speed, RWD bias, plus electric torque will take the cake. It has all the ingredients to to do it. Pissing contest for a 3 row SUV, totally! However, I think it going to blow people away that a Lincoln can do that.

It will have to do 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

http://sportscarstandings.com/Top-10-Fastest-Cars/Lincoln/2010-Lincoln-MKS-EcoBoost-15134

4 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I am going to say this now and it might sound ridiculous. This is just a guess but I think the GT will be the quickest Lincoln ever produced. The MKZ 3.0 is mighty quick and fast but I honestly think 10 speed, RWD bias, plus electric torque will take the cake. It has all the ingredients to to do it. Pissing contest for a 3 row SUV, totally! However, I think it going to blow people away that a Lincoln can do that.

..and the fun part about the GT is that it's an absolute "sleeper". Nothing on the outside of this vehicle is screaming 450 HP/600 lb.-ft. torque at you - not even the wheels.?

My favorite styling-combo - and it's a GT:

Lincoln Aviator BL GT

This looks like luxury - but you can't even guess the performance....

12 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

No way, the GT will kick its butt.  Was referring to the standard Aviator as he mentions .  A Build and Price on the GT requires the GT1 package to be similarly equipped as the ST which puts it at $78,000.  That's almost $20,000 more in price.  You can't compare the two.

My post was more referencing his quote of "I've seen both in person now and there's plenty of "extra" substance to justify the Aviator's pricing,"

I think the aviator plug in will be quicker than the explorer st and the regular aviator, that should have a similar acceleration.

59 minutes ago, rothen said:

I think the aviator plug in will be quicker than the explorer st and the regular aviator, that should have a similar acceleration.

Of course it will be, It has 50 more hp and at least 185 more torque.  As I already said above, it is also almost $20k more.  You can't compare the two.

12 hours ago, msm859 said:

So the Aviator will have to be under 4.8  0-60 to be the fastest Lincoln - going to be tough.

While it will be close, I don't think it will as tough as you think. What makes Tesla's fast? It's having all that torque on tap without having to wait....no spooling turbo's required. If they have tuned it for performance (vs FE), which some on here are saying, then I have no doubt they are going to give a lot of electric assist on start. If Ford is saying the ST is 5.5 (probably a little conservative), then adding 50hp and 200lb/ft of torque should take home much off of that? My guess ST will hit 60 5.3 and GT will be in the mid to high 4's. Probably a high 13 quarter.

Again, just my guess but I am sticking to it. 

17 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

^^^  I agree.  I am sure 1 of the 7 drive modes (Sport?) will have 100% full electric assist with the gas engine and it will really move off the line.

I think that mode is called "Excite".   I am really waiting on what the actual hp and torque of the electric motor is.  It is not as simple as adding the ICE and electric motor.   It will need a lot more than 50 hp to travel in all electric mode.

12 minutes ago, msm859 said:

I think that mode is called "Excite".   I am really waiting on what the actual hp and torque of the electric motor is.  It is not as simple as adding the ICE and electric motor.   It will need a lot more than 50 hp to travel in all electric mode.

Maybe the 3.0 will have a detuned version in the GT.  Just like the Platinum Explorer has the same 3.0 as the ST but has 365HP instead of 400HP.  If the GT is detuned, that means more HP for the electric motor to hit the 450HP.

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, EcoBoost said:

The only thing in regards to acceleration/performance that "concerns" me a bit is the fact that the GT is about 800 lbs. heavier than the regular version.

800 lbs heavier is potentially  encouraging.  Hopefully they will have a decent size battery, not the 13.1 kWh they are putting in the Euro Explorer.

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Are we sure it's 800 lbs heavier?

It seems like a pretty specific number. It had to be published somewhere before. I don't recall seeing it myself but I'll admit I haven't been paying too much attention either. It's not something that's in my wheelhouse of interest. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It seems like a pretty specific number. It had to be published somewhere before. I don't recall seeing it myself but I'll admit I haven't been paying too much attention either. It's not something that's in my wheelhouse of interest. 

Yup, it's already published on lincoln.com:

Aviator Data

If you click on "specifications" and scroll down, it gets you right there.

I compared the "regular" AWD (4,897 lbs.) to the GT (5,678 lbs.) since that's AWD as well. The difference is 781 lbs. which I rounded up a little...?

2 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Wow, and the ST is 4,345lbs.  So Aviator is already 550lbs more and the GT is 1,333lbs more.  I haven't researched competitors but one really thinks the GT will be in the 4s being over 1,300 lbs greater then the ST at a 5.5 0-60?

How can the regular Aviator be 500 lbs heavier than the ST?  What does the Aviator have in it that the ST doesn't?

1 minute ago, msm859 said:

How can the regular Aviator be 500 lbs heavier than the ST?  What does the Aviator have in it that the ST doesn't?

Batteries and electric motors. No doubt in my mind the 10R hybrid transmission weighs a little more than the regular one. I don't see how it can't. 

Plus all of that extra stuff on the interior that Lincoln's have to make it more luxurious and quiet. Thicker glass, heavier door panels etc. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Batteries and electric motors. No doubt in my mind the 10R hybrid transmission weighs a little more than the regular one. I don't see how it can't. 

Plus all of that extra stuff on the interior that Lincoln's have to make it more luxurious and quiet. Thicker glass, heavier door panels etc. 

I am not talking about the GT - the regular Aviator that has the exact same drivetrain, motor etc.  Seems like a lot of weight for some luxury items.

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ford.com only shows one curb weight for all model Explorers - 4345 so I think that's for the base XLT only which won't include the moonroof or other features.

I just noticed that the numbers on Lincoln.com might have a similar issue. No matter if you pick the base model or the Black Label, it only shows you three different numbers: Regular RWD, regular AWD and GT.

However, we all know that the base model without any options won't have the same weight as a base Black Label.

Edited by EcoBoost