David Woodhouse Resigns

From Automotive News:

"DETROIT -- David Woodhouse, Ford Motor Co.'s director of global strategic design who was instrumental in crafting the Lincoln luxury brand's latest styling, has resigned from the company.  It's unclear why he left.

Woodhouse previously was chief designer in Ford's strategic design studios in London and California and was part of the team behind the Lincoln C Concept presented at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.  The Ford Shelby GR1, Ford Airstream, Ford Reflex, Lincoln Continental Concept, Lincoln Mk9 Coupe and Lincoln Aviator Concept are among the key vehicles Woodhouse had a hand in styling.

In a Facebook post on Friday, Woodhouse, 50, said it was a "difficult decision," especially considering his personal investment in Lincoln.

"Ending a long-standing relationship with a corporation is just like ending a personal relationship multiplied by the number of wonderful friends and colleagues," he wrote. A Lincoln spokeswoman said Woodhouse "elected to leave the company" but gave no other details."

https://www.autonews.com/design/fords-director-global-strategic-design-david-woodhouse-resigns

I don't know if he's going to another car company or not, but car stylists have a history of changing employers.  Elwood Engel, chief stylist on the 1961 Continental, left Ford for Chrysler after Virgil Exner was fired.  Larry Shinoda, who worked on the 1963 Corvette, left GM for Ford where he drew the 1969 Boss 302.  More recently, Bryan Nesbitt, who created the Chrysler PT Cruiser, now works for GM. 

Hopefully this isn't a sign of bad things and that maybe it was just a personal situation.  Either way, it's unforutnate to lose both Galhotra and Woodhouse just as the brand is hitting its stride (I know Galhotra was promoted and still oversees Lincoln, but I doubt he has as much direct involvement  as he did).  It'll be interesting to see where styling goes from here.  The current look is great, and it'll be interesting to see how/if they modernize it.

Maybe he decided to just get out of the auto design business.  Camilo Pardo, the guy who drew the 2005 Ford GT, left Ford years back and now designs modern kitchen appliances, fashion, pure art, etc.  Take a look at his website.

http://www.camilopardo.com/

Car stylist are artists.  Most artists I know are a bit wacky.  They do unpredictable things.   

Edited by mackinaw
added info
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Maybe he decided to just get out of the auto design business.  Camilo Pardo, the guy who drew the 2005 Ford GT, left Ford years back and now designs modern kitchen appliances, fashion, pure art, etc.  Take a look at his website.

http://www.camilopardo.com/

Car stylist are artists.  Most artists I know are a bit wacky.  They do unpredictable things.   

Camilo was on that GM design show a few years ago and very talented....

7 hours ago, DequindreToo said:

Does Max Wolff still work for Lincoln?

Yes, He's back in Melbourne with Ford Asia Pacific as Exrwriors Chief, Asia Pacific design.

IMO,he was bumped from Lincoln in Favor of Woodhouse because he was too radical for the chiefs, Woodhouse's Quiet Luxury is what we now have, understated design tells you exactly the direction they chose.Wolff's plans were way too ambitious for safe Lincoln....

Edited by jpd80
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Yes, He's back in Melbourne with Ford Asia Pacific as Exrwriors Chief, Asia Pacific design.

IMO,he was bumped from Lincoln in Favor of Woodhouse because he was too radical for the chiefs, Woodhouse's Quiet Luxury is what we now have, understated design tells you exactly the direction they chose.Wolff's plans were way too ambitious for safe Lincoln....

Funny because I didn't really see it as that crazy aside from the grille.  It'll be interesting to see how they go forward design-wise.  I agree with The Handler above in that it'd be nice to see them refine their current design language and move it forward and not ditch it for another styling direction.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Funny because I didn't really see it as that crazy aside from the grille.  It'll be interesting to see how they go forward design-wise.  I agree with The Handler above in that it'd be nice to see them refine their current design language and move it forward and not ditch it for another styling direction.

It would be neat to see Wolff lead that forward transformation (slowly). I'm a big fan of the 2013 MKZ. His design risks paid off well IMO.

Edited by DequindreToo