Lane Keeping Aid hits before Lane Keeping ALert

Zooks527

I have the Safe & Smart package on my car with Lane Keeping, which has both Lane Keeping Aid and Lane Keeping Alert. Lane Aid actively steers the car away from the lane markings if the turn signal is not on. Lane Alert shakes the steering wheel if you approach the line without the turn signal. 

The system can be configured so that either, neither, or both functions are on. If both are on, the way they are set up is that the car will actively try to move away from the line unless you push back against the car's steering attempt. After a few seconds, it stops trying to steer. Then, if you're still moving out of your lane, the wheel will shake as a warning.  This is clearly how the system is intended to operate, as shown in the manual:

Capture.PNG.53e40c527751a86fe884c52305baac29.PNG

Anyone else think this is backwards? Wouldn't it make more sense to warn you that you are approaching the line before it tries to steer instead of the other way around? If you haven't caught on that you're moving out of the lane because of the steering attempt, the wheel shaking seems unlikely to add any additional notification.

4 hours ago, Zooks527 said:

I have the Safe & Smart package on my car with Lane Keeping, which has both Lane Keeping Aid and Lane Keeping Alert. Lane Aid actively steers the car away from the lane markings if the turn signal is not on. Lane Alert shakes the steering wheel if you approach the line without the turn signal. 

The system can be configured so that either, neither, or both functions are on. If both are on, the way they are set up is that the car will actively try to move away from the line unless you push back against the car's steering attempt. After a few seconds, it stops trying to steer. Then, if you're still moving out of your lane, the wheel will shake as a warning.  This is clearly how the system is intended to operate, as shown in the manual:

Capture.PNG.53e40c527751a86fe884c52305baac29.PNG

Anyone else think this is backwards? Wouldn't it make more sense to warn you that you are approaching the line before it tries to steer instead of the other way around? If you haven't caught on that you're moving out of the lane because of the steering attempt, the wheel shaking seems unlikely to add any additional notification.

Hi Zooks527.  I have the system on my 2018 Lincoln MKZ and you are asking for opinions, so this is mine: No, I do not think it is backwards. As long as the driver is still within the white lines, a gentle nudge back is all that should be needed. Then a vibration/rumble warning to wake the driver up if they still don't pay attention and cross the lane markings. Then if we are inattentive enough times, we get the "pull over and get some coffee" suggestion on the Driver Information Center.

In my opinion, the first thing it should do is keep the car within the lines (a steering adjustment). Then if that is ignored or not enough, warn you (steering wheel vibration/rumbling) to wake up an inattentive driver.  I prefer my steering wheel isn't rumbling every time my car thinks I'm too close to the line.

I would use the analogy of the rumble strips now prevalent on major highway shoulders. They are just outside the white lines on the shoulder, not on or inside the white lines. So if we intentionally or unintentionally cross the white line and begin to enter the shoulder, our tires hit the rumble strips and vibrate the car. We don't hit rumble strips while still in the lane, only when we go out of our lane.

Again, just my respectful opinion. Good luck with your car. ?

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

In my opinion, the first thing it should do is keep the car within the lines (a steering adjustment). Then if that is ignored or not enough, warn you (steering wheel vibration/rumbling) to wake up an inattentive driver.  I prefer my steering wheel isn't rumbling every time my car thinks I'm too close to the line.

Fair cop. 

I think you can make a case either way.  I do know that, at least in my car and at the lowest intervention setting, if you don't notice the steering input, you've dozed off the to point that the wheel shaking (much less intrusive than that in my old M235) isn't going to wake you up.  I guess I fall into the "warn me then do something" school of thought, but, YMMV.  ?

Edited by Zooks527