Chicago Assembly Plant making new Police Interceptor Utility with standard hybrid engine

https://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/chicago-assembly-plant-making-new-police-interceptor-utility-with-standard/article_29b2e58d-fc41-5cfa-97d5-c492742f0ad0.html

"We started production in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and agencies should start receiving them later in the summer," said Gregory Ebel, assistant brand manager for Ford Police Vehicles. "We feel this 2020 utility with a hybrid powertrain is the right fit for law enforcement."

15 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

It is standard by upcharging the customer.  They can choose not to have the hybrid option which will drop the price...

So it really isnt standard lol.

It is standard for hybrid as in not having to add it for an additional cost when configuring a hybrid. You can also order a non-hybrid model. 

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Is this a combined figure or the highway figure?  If combined, that'd mean +4 mpg over the ST/Platinum.

24mpg is combined figure: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/17/ford-police-interceptor-utility-hybrid-first-drive-playing-pol/

That's not competitive with the current V6 Highlander Hybrid, much less with the updated version with an I4. I assume the PI has higher performance than the civilian version, so hopefully the civilian version will post higher mpg.

14 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

That's not competitive with the current V6 Highlander Hybrid, much less with the updated version with an I4. I assume the PI has higher performance than the civilian version, so hopefully the civilian version will post higher mpg.

The Highlander is much smaller vehicle too.. its 6 inches shorter and 3 inches narrower...its slightly bigger then a Edge, not an Explorer. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

24mpg is combined figure: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/17/ford-police-interceptor-utility-hybrid-first-drive-playing-pol/

Higher performance plus heavier body due to various armor additions and braces for add ons. 

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

What does the Highlander Hybrid PIU get?  Oh wait...

6 hours ago, twintornados said:

It is standard for hybrid as in not having to add it for an additional cost when configuring a hybrid. You can also order a non-hybrid model. 

Sorry but I don't consider "standard" anything above the cheapest option.  I think this is just a play on words.  If they can downgrade the engine and save money.. then it isn't standard to me.  Standard to me is the the BASE engine (cheapest option).  All it takes is one click of the mouse to change the engine option and save money (cheaper).  IF the hybrid was the cheapest option or the only option, then yes I could understand Ford saying it is the Standard engine.

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

Comparing a modified minivan with the PIU is liking asking why doesn't the hybrid fusion  match up with the a Prius, different class of vehicles.

1 minute ago, blwnsmoke said:

Sorry but I don't consider "standard" anything above the cheapest option.  I think this is just a play on words.  If they can downgrade the engine and save money.. then it isn't standard to me.  Standard to me is the the BASE engine (cheapest option).  All it takes is one click of the mouse to change the engine option and save money (cheaper).  IF the hybrid was the cheapest option or the only option, then yes I could understand Ford saying it is the Standard engine.

If you order it and don’t check any other option boxes then what you get is standard.  The other engine is optional.  Doesn’t matter if the option is more expensive or less expensive it’s still optional.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

If you order it and don’t check any other option boxes then what you get is standard.  The other engine is optional.  Doesn’t matter if the option is more expensive or less expensive it’s still optional.

Everything you said I just said.  I'll agree to disagree in that it is still a marketing ploy/gimmick.

• Like 1

"That's not competitive with the current V6 Highlander Hybrid.."

Agree: "What does the Highlander Hybrid PIU get? Oh wait... "  lol

Also, Cadillac did something like this in 1980, made diesel 350 standard in new Seville. Ads went "first American car with diesel standard". But, gas motor was a 'credit option'. Wasn't too long when the diesel was dropped.

Edited by 630land

• 1 month later...

Funny how years ago, there was all this crying about "What will police drive?" when CV was going to be dropped. Like it was the "end of times". "Cops only like BOF Panthers!"

Now, all over the place are Explorer cop cars. And unibody Charger, too. [No kids, its not BOF]

Edited by 630land

8 hours ago, 630land said:

Funny how years ago, there was all this crying about "What will police drive?" when CV was going to be dropped. Like it was the "end of times". "Cops only like BOF Panthers!"

Now, all over the place are Explorer cop cars. And unibody Charger, too. [No kids, its not BOF]

Yeah, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the explosion in Chargers didn't really happen until the CVPIs started disappearing. Once the BOF cars were no longer an option, it opened up the market, because a unibody chassis was no longer a disadvantage.

FWIW, back around 1990, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol tested a Dodge Intrepid as a cruiser. That lasted until they had to use it to  "intercept" someone during a chase, and the resulting damage, which would've been relatively minor bodywork on their BOF CVs and Caprices, totaled the car. They didn't go for another unibody cruiser for about twenty years, when they started buying Chargers to replace their discontinued CVPIs.

2 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

Yeah, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the explosion in Chargers didn't really happen until the CVPIs started disappearing. Once the BOF cars were no longer an option, it opened up the market, because a unibody chassis was no longer a disadvantage.

FWIW, back around 1990, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol tested a Dodge Intrepid as a cruiser. That lasted until they had to use it to  "intercept" someone during a chase, and the resulting damage, which would've been relatively minor bodywork on their BOF CVs and Caprices, totaled the car. They didn't go for another unibody cruiser for about twenty years, when they started buying Chargers to replace their discontinued CVPIs.

The Chargers are worthless and I wish I’d never relinquished the keys to my ‘06 Crown Vic.