What Style Cues Does The 2021 Ford Bronco Need To Have?

http://fordauthority.com/2019/06/what-style-cues-does-the-2021-ford-bronco-need-to-have

Any truth to this?

Like most Bronco fans, we were a bit sad when the 2020 year model slipped to a 2021 year model as things were delayed a bit. The reason for that delay was cited as poor performance in focus groups, leading to a front end redesign according to reports. The style the general public wants from an SUV isn’t always what the hard-core Bronco fans want to see. The delay raised the question, what classic Bronco features does the 2021 Ford Bronco need?

You can't style it specifically for just what the enthusiasts want.  It needs to have general appeal while maintaining enough retro to appeal to *most* enthuisasts.  I think Ford has done this with mustang so I expect nothing less from Bronco and Scout.

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

You can't style it specifically for just what the enthusiasts want.  It needs to have general appeal while maintaining enough retro to appeal to *most* enthuisasts.  I think Ford has done this with mustang so I expect nothing less from Bronco and Scout.

Exactly, but at the same time it needs to be different from the rest of the lineup styling wise.

IMO It needs to be "boxy", have a front end similar to the 1st gen Bronco, and have some sort of removable roof option. Rear mounted wheel I can give or take..doesn't matter to me. As for Boxy styling, I'm thinking more like the F-150, but without copying its styling cues like lights or tailights. The Bronco should have its own look when it comes to that. I hope the dash looks similar to the 1st gen Bronco, but modernized. Using the dash out of the Ranger would be a disappointment. 

I see the Scout closer to the Toyota FT-more smoother then boxier like the Bronco. From what we saw of the prototype, I think they nailed that segment it will be in. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, akirby said:

I guess it depends on the market ford sees for this vehicle. I always saw the bronco as a niche vehicle like the raptor. If that’s the case, then throw general appeal out the window and cater to your target market. You wouldn’t want a bunch of Prius or minivan drivers determining the looks of an off-road vehicle.

if however ford sees the bronco as having more mass market appeal, what you are saying makes sense. Mass market appeal usually means bland and boring though so I’m afraid of what this will mean for the bronco.

• Like 1

Are we sure what they're referring to is a recent development and not something earlier on (before they decided to add Bronco Sport using one of the early Bronco design concepts)?  Like I doubt they were sitting there last week and said "wait a second, what about this" after the design was done.

3 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I guess it depends on the market ford sees for this vehicle. I always saw the bronco as a niche vehicle like the raptor. If that’s the case, then throw general appeal out the window and cater to your target market. You wouldn’t want a bunch of Prius or minivan drivers determining the looks of an off-road vehicle.

if however ford sees the bronco as having more mass market appeal, what you are saying makes sense. Mass market appeal usually means bland and boring though so I’m afraid of what this will mean for the bronco.

I'm not saying water it down to sell 200K copies.  I'm saying don't go 10/10ths to what the super hard core enthusiasts want.  E.g. I'm sure they don't want a 4 door version but they need a 4 door version.   Raptor still has mass market appeal.   Mustang does too.  

But Raptor is still a F150 for the most part.  Bronco is a totally different top hat - possibly a different wheelbase - basically a totally different vehicle than Ranger so you need more volume to cover the development costs.   But it doesn't have to be boring or bland to do that.  Wrangler isn't boring or bland.

9 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Define mass market-I'm going with that Ford is planning on selling Mustang like numbers with the Bronco-80-100K a year. 

There seems like there is a lot of pent up demand for a vehicle from Ford fans-but I'm not sure how its going to translate long term. The Wrangler has been selling very well for what it is-but it also has over 50-75 years of history

From a marketing viewpoint-I see this vehicle geared more towards males vs females-Female would be served by the Explorer/Edge market, while the Bronco is more "rawer". The Scout would appeal to younger people and older people who want something that looks tough, but still rides nice on the road.

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

From a marketing viewpoint-I see this vehicle geared more towards males vs females-Female would be served by the Explorer/Edge market, while the Bronco is more "rawer". The Scout would appeal to younger people and older people who want something that looks tough, but still rides nice on the road.

I bet Wrangler is at least 50% female especially with the 4 door version.  

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Are we sure what they're referring to is a recent development and not something earlier on (before they decided to add Bronco Sport using one of the early Bronco design concepts)?  Like I doubt they were sitting there last week and said "wait a second, what about this" after the design was done.

Given the timing of things, I'm sure styling mules where shown to styling clinics a while back-like at least a year ago. I'd assume that like 85% of the truck is locked in now and its just adjustments to improve it before it goes into production next year after testing. 

2 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Given the timing of things, I'm sure styling mules where shown to styling clinics a while back-like at least a year ago. I'd assume that like 85% of the truck is locked in now and its just adjustments to improve it before it goes into production next year after testing. 

That's what I'm saying.  They didn't decide last minute a week ago to do a complete redesign based on some clinic that would push it back a year.  They might fine tune a few things, but I doubt that by itself would push it back a year.

4 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Right, but for the most part Jeep products lean towards more male buyers vs say the Explorer. 

Sales seem to be 25% - 30% female but I bet that's increasing since the 4 door was introduced.   So I guess you're right to an extent.

Styling wise, to me, I'd like to see a strong resemblance to the first-gen Bronco.  It should look unique.  When you see this thing coming down the street, it should look like nothing else.  And when parked in your driveway, your neighbors should come over to take a look.

8 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Styling wise, to me, I'd like to see a strong resemblance to the first-gen Bronco.  It should look unique.  When you see this thing coming down the street, it should look like nothing else.  And when parked in your driveway, your neighbors should come over to take a look.

?