Musk on the Tesla Pickup... hahahaha

Gurgeh

46 minutes ago, msm859 said:

Well we can probably all  agree that Musk was naive/dumb for announcing a price 2 years before production - no one does that.  He should have used more qualifying language or waited until closer to production - like everyone else.  However, those opposed should likewise not exaggerate.  Not sure what all the "toys" are.  A maxed out Model 3 is $65,900 - not $70,000 and the base model starts at a $39,900. And yes some might prefer the interior on a Focus, but for those performance minded the Model 3 performance model will dust a Shelby GT350 0-60 and it is yet to be seen how a Shelby GT500 would fair in such a contest.  I suspect you would have to pay far more for a car to be able to beat it in that parameter.

Sure, maybe in a straight line.. let's see a Tesla on the track and compare.

46 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

I agree it is only 1 "parameter" - although 1 frequently cited for the sports enthusiasts.  And the Model 3 is a 4 door sedan.  My point was in response to the concern of the high price of a maxed out Model 3 in comparison to the OP and the Fusion.  No one is going to cross shop a Tesla 3 with a Shelby GT350  but someone who is shopping for a 4 door sedan and is into performance would certainly be interested in that metric and it does explain the upper pricing.

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

While not exactly a track time, the Model 3 matches the GT-350 on the MT figure 8 on time with a slightly better avg G......and weighing approximately 500 lbs more. I'm certainly not a Tesla fan boy, but Blue Oval all the way. I am impressed with what Tesla has accomplished to this point, even though I don't agree with the tax credits on EV's. However, I think that will bite Tesla now they they are running out of credits, and now all other manufacturers will have plenty of credits left. Even Henry Ford had struggles and failures when he started, but it didn't take long after he actually started FMC to become profitable........but at that point he was the only game in town too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msm859 said:

Well we can probably all  agree that Musk was naive/dumb for announcing a price 2 years before production - no one does that.  He should have used more qualifying language or waited until closer to production - like everyone else.  However, those opposed should likewise not exaggerate.  Not sure what all the "toys" are.  A maxed out Model 3 is $65,900 - not $70,000 and the base model starts at a $39,900. And yes some might prefer the interior on a Focus, but for those performance minded the Model 3 performance model will dust a Shelby GT350 0-60 and it is yet to be seen how a Shelby GT500 would fair in such a contest.  I suspect you would have to pay far more for a car to be able to beat it in that parameter.

A Stock 18 UP Mustang GT with the A10 can dust the Shelby 0-60 and 1/4 mile for thousands less than the base Model 3 too. 

I test drove the Model 3 last month when THEY added everything up for me it was $69K. I think it's a good $40K car, I do not think it's by any means a luxury car (which Tesla does NOT classify itself as luxury but some perceive it is) at Anything over $60K. Yes it's straight-line performance was neck snapping, but even as aggressive as I am driving, I don't see myself stomping it from every light. It felt like a vehicle I rode ON, not in. Wind noise over my head along the upper windshield not acceptable. Having 2 little buttons on the steering wheel proved inconvenient of how many times I had to initiate the center screen, then choose with the two little buttons. Maybe I'm used to Fords where everything is on the steering wheel I will need and activate easily, and not take 2-3 push buttons on the center screen to activate.  The doors sounded tinsy when you closed them. The awkward way to open the door handle was just inconvenient. And the sun visors believe in a GM 70s product, the most poorest, chintziest design since GM. Being in FL, I expect arctic cold air coming out of the registers.  The air was "cool", but not at all as frigid as a Ford product. Air Conditioned seats, not available - (Sorry deal breaker being in FL). The interior center console compartments felt 00's Ford dinky.

Yes they have cute little games and toys within the infotainment system, which any manufacturer could learn from. The stereo system was amazingly strong (I always use Baby Got Back to test out a system). The powered open/close of the electrical charger outlet is cute. And the acceleration was amazing (But felt top heavy-even though it's not) when I through it into a corner, again it felt like I was ON the vehicle, not in it.  I think if you hate driving, Tesla is a good car that can do it for you most of the time. They are good on safety, computering, electrification and acceleration. By no means would I say they are a great manufacturer....and it'll sell well because of the hype and it's trendy but I will say WAIT till others get there, and suddenly what they do, will be seen as mundane.

8 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

I test drove the Model 3 last month when THEY added everything up for me it was $69K. I think it's a good $40K car, I do not think it's by any means a luxury car (which Tesla does NOT classify itself as luxury but some perceive it is) at Anything over $60K. Yes it's straight-line performance was neck snapping, but even as aggressive as I am driving, I don't see myself stomping it from every light. It felt like a vehicle I rode ON, not in. Wind noise over my head along the upper windshield not acceptable. Having 2 little buttons on the steering wheel proved inconvenient of how many times I had to initiate the center screen, then choose with the two little buttons. Maybe I'm used to Fords where everything is on the steering wheel I will need and activate easily, and not take 2-3 push buttons on the center screen to activate.  The doors sounded tinsy when you closed them. The awkward way to open the door handle was just inconvenient. And the sun visors believe in a GM 70s product, the most poorest, chintziest design since GM. Being in FL, I expect arctic cold air coming out of the registers.  The air was "cool", but not at all as frigid as a Ford product. Air Conditioned seats, not available - (Sorry deal breaker being in FL). The interior center console compartments felt 00's Ford dinky.

Yes they have cute little games and toys within the infotainment system, which any manufacturer could learn from. The stereo system was amazingly strong (I always use Baby Got Back to test out a system). The powered open/close of the electrical charger outlet is cute. And the acceleration was amazing (But felt top heavy-even though it's not) when I through it into a corner, again it felt like I was ON the vehicle, not in it.  I think if you hate driving, Tesla is a good car that can do it for you most of the time. They are good on safety, computering, electrification and acceleration. By no means would I say they are a great manufacturer....and it'll sell well because of the hype and it's trendy but I will say WAIT till others get there, and suddenly what they do, will be seen as mundane.

Not a luxury car???? Oooh....you are gonna incur some wrath from a certain someone....

Edited by twintornados

9 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Not a luxury car???? Oooh....you are gonna incur some wrath from a certain someone....

Hell we all know Tesla’s are an appliance. They have some cool features and tech. However, multiple reviewers have commented that the cars don’t have any real “Soul” to them.