Musk on the Tesla Pickup... hahahaha

Gurgeh

I don't even want to click the link.

Musk: Tesla pickup truck will be better than F150 and cost less than $50,000*

*The "less than 50K" model will be available 3 years after introduction only if we're forced to offer one, and it'll be priced at $49,999.99

• Haha 3

Not sure if it's a joke or if he's serious with his claims. But he's doing what he does though with his claims. Other articles like this one says he claims it can tow 300,000 pounds. Either it's a misquote or he mis-spoke but I'm sure he meant 3,000 pounds or even 30,000 pounds but... 300,000? ?

https://www.focustechnica.com/tesla-pickup-truck-will-cost-less-than-50k/

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I don't even want to click the link.

Musk: Tesla pickup truck will be better than F150 and cost less than $50,000*

*The "less than 50K" model will be available 3 years after introduction only if we're forced to offer one, and it'll be priced at $49,999.99

He also claims 300,000-pound towing capacity! ? ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Remember the Tunda/Space Shuttle event? That was 292,000#.   https://jalopnik.com/how-a-5-600-pound-toyota-towed-a-292-000-pound-space-sh-5951454

HRG

Yes, that was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the 300,000-pound capacity claim. However, trucks in general aren't designed and built to do these things hence Tundra driving slow and a short distance rather than a regular occurrence. Also, they had to design a special hitch capable of towing the shuttle along with putting the shuttle onto dolly wheels. These things contribute to simple mechanical advantage which would allow pretty much any truck with 4wd and limited-slip rear axle and good torque to tow that amount, albeit short distance and slowly. Musk made the claim as if his new electric pickup can be a daily thing towing that amount of weight on a regular basis which would be better off used by a semi electric rig which would be more designed as a regular tower of that capacity.

OMG he's talking about pulling (not towing on a trailer) a jumbo jet like he did with the model X.   If that's the bar then my F150 would probably clear it as well.

https://mashable.com/2018/05/15/tesla-tows-boeing-down-runway/

He's just trying to bilk investors out of more capital.  You should see the Tesla lemmings who actually think this thing would out-tow a F150 10 times over.  Idiots.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Not sure if it's a joke or if he's serious with his claims. But he's doing what he does though with his claims. Other articles like this one says he claims it can tow 300,000 pounds. Either it's a misquote or he mis-spoke but I'm sure he meant 3,000 pounds or even 30,000 pounds but... 300,000? ?

https://www.focustechnica.com/tesla-pickup-truck-will-cost-less-than-50k/

Hey man, a Tundra pulled the Space Shuttle....just saying....LOL

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

OMG he's talking about pulling (not towing on a trailer) a jumbo jet like he did with the model X.   If that's the bar then my F150 would probably clear it as well.

He's just trying to bilk investors out of more capital.  You should see the Tesla lemmings who actually think this thing would out-tow a F150 10 times over.  Idiots.

He's pulling ALL the tricks out of the hat because he knows the end is near. If they lose big next quarter (which they will), the handle on the toilet will be pulled and they will be spiraling out of control. The only question is if someone rescues (acquires them) before they are gone.

52 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

He's pulling ALL the tricks out of the hat because he knows the end is near. If they lose big next quarter (which they will), the handle on the toilet will be pulled and they will be spiraling out of control. The only question is if someone rescues (acquires them) before they are gone.

Exactly.. stock price in half (and still too high)  he must be really panicing now.  

You would think all of the big investors would abandon ship after these comments.  How could someone make a claim that a pickup will outperform a 911 and to say their first attempt of a truck will be better then the F150.    Seriously.. wtf??

Really looking forward to the spin Rperez puts on this.

Edited by blwnsmoke

54 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Hey man, a Tundra pulled the Space Shuttle....just saying....LOL

I know. Read a few posts above to see my response to someone else who brought up the same as you did. Try reading the new posts that were posted before you logged in before replying since I already addressed it once above.

58 minutes ago, akirby said:

Yes, that was the point I was making earlier but apparently a couple of users didn't see my point I was making. The pulling of shuttle and jet was just for marketing purposes and can't be done in everyday life of the towing vehicle.

16 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Really looking forward to the spin Rperez puts on this.

?

No spin. I've said before the first automaker to bring a truly capable BEV pickup truck (not a science fair project) to market will have it made. And the company IMO that's in the best position to do that is Ford. It already announced F-150 EV this January, and then announced an investment in Rivian in April. 

Tesla is a formidable competitor for sure. And they've raised the bar for the whole automotive industry when it comes to EVs that customers want to buy. But they don't have any experience designing and marketing pickup trucks. There are good things about starting fresh, as Tesla will do with its pickup. But that lack of experience also makes it harder for them to get the product to market.   

What a terrible article. Especially this paragraph:

“If Tesla is able to release a truck at its planned price point and be able to drive 400 or more miles on a charge it can boast "something extremely interesting" in the segment, Electrek opined. By comparison, the Rivian R1T starts at $69,000 with a range capability of 230 or more miles.”

Umm, I guess you don’t realize that the rivian truck has a 400 mile range option, as well as a 300 mile range too. Way to gloss over that to make the Tesla look better. And if they are implying that the so called $50k version of the Tesla truck with have 400 mile range, they are sadly mistaken. Maybe 200 if you are lucky.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 2

We have all seen the Tesla pattern, the Model 3 was promised at $35K and it was 2 years before they released that version.  Gotta load it up to $70K To have all the toys and you'll be surprised to see how much better the interior is on a Focus...sadly...I would know this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

We have all seen the Tesla pattern, the Model 3 was promised at $35K and it was 2 years before they released that version.  Gotta load it up to $70K To have all the toys and you'll be surprised to see how much better the interior is on a Focus...sadly...I would know this.

Well we can probably all  agree that Musk was naive/dumb for announcing a price 2 years before production - no one does that.  He should have used more qualifying language or waited until closer to production - like everyone else.  However, those opposed should likewise not exaggerate.  Not sure what all the "toys" are.  A maxed out Model 3 is $65,900 - not $70,000 and the base model starts at a $39,900. And yes some might prefer the interior on a Focus, but for those performance minded the Model 3 performance model will dust a Shelby GT350 0-60 and it is yet to be seen how a Shelby GT500 would fair in such a contest.  I suspect you would have to pay far more for a car to be able to beat it in that parameter.