It`s Gettin Close

Decker

Two Paint Polisher bids on the board. Learn that operation and take time to watch and learn the paint repair operations in the spot repair bays about 40 feet away from the polish deck. Watch for the little steps the repair people do. Learn everything you can, try doing different repairs and even grab a passing old long hair for some pointers. ididntdoit this area is one step away from pre delivery where.....  if you work at it and learn as much as you can, you will be doing the 12 hour days and/or 13.2 to work thru lunch and breaks. (eat while the paint dries ?)

But.... start by being a prep polisher. After you take the time to go and sign up.

2 hours ago, paintguy said:

Wow. You really are old school. Learn the job. Observe and bid your way up. I've heard that actually works. 

Thanks ?

Yep it works. But for so many years the other methods of getting a designated classification at CAP (and other facilities I`m sure) was used and now over the years we at CAP are left  with so many that can`t do the work of the designated classification they hold.

Can anyone hold a Dingers classification without proving they can even fit a closure properly? Hold a Paint Repair classification without proving they can spray paint? CAP has that a lot. 

Of course I understand the politics, manpower shortage and working the system but, it is one of the two reasons we can`t get morale in the ranks. Having a designated classified person that can actually do the work then have to do or redo what someone getting the same money can`t or in some cases just say they aren`t going to do and....we see the results of this non standard method of getting a premium operation everyday. Then the other reason for all the chaos at CAP, process coaches, senior process coaches, team managers and area managers that have little or no background, knowledge or experience in the operations or process in their zones and areas that they manage,  

Process coaches that never worked any operation in their zone with operators that have little or no experience, than the game players that play the politics, friend of a friend and FMLA methods to a fine tuned level. Mix in all the back stabbing the goes on to get up the ladder by all the fast trackers. Then of course all the manager that cant do much of anything other than point the way under the bus to everyone below their pay grade. It is the recipe for the mass chaos we see everywhere....

But..... with all the money CAP puts in cooperate pockets we will just keep building repair O/T hours. The profit margin is frickin huge. 

Oh for the record we aren`t alone in this type of (lets not listen to experience) launch, nope.... There was a launch way up north of the boarder that VO still gets dizzy spells just thinking of and tell late nite scary stories about the launch from hell, in their hotel rooms. 

Edited by Decker

If you got a few minute to read? This article or part of an article is something to think about while we are waiting for our concessions.....

Why Did the UAW Become Management’s Partner

Since the late 1970s, UAW leaders have sold concessions as necessary given the economic crisis. They claimed that as times got better, we could win back what we had given up.

But while times did get better for the corporations, workers have only been forced to take more concessions, resulting in a much weaker union. (See Labor Notes’s 1983 book Concessions and How to Beat Them by Jane Slaughter.)

Ever since the 1980s, when the UAW accepted management’s “team concept,” workers are supposed to aid management in efficiently running production — even if that results in deteriorating working conditions and job elimination.

The UAW leadership views itself as management’s partner, responsible for boosting the company’s productivity and keeping members in line. Locals vie with each other to keep their plants open, even at the expense of other UAW members. (See Labor Notes’s 1988 book Choosing Sides: Unions and the Team Concept by Mike Parker and Jane Slaughter. It outlined this process and how to fight against it.)

Management has continued to restructure. By the 1990s, UAW leaders went along with the Big Three in selling off a number of parts plants. Eventually those remaining UAW locals accepted weaker contracts. Tiered wages and benefits were first introduced in the auto industry through the parts plants.

With the 2008–09 economic crisis, the tiers spread to GM, Chrysler, and Ford. In the case of the federal bailout of GM and Chrysler, the leadership went along with the government’s demand that workers needed to sacrifice if taxpayers were to “save” the company. So, the UAW’s acceptance of tiers was negotiated in order to save jobs. And of course, Ford, which didn’t go through bankruptcy, claimed it needed concessions as well.

In a newspaper op-ed, President Gary Jones emphasized that 2019 contract negotiations were about to begin. It sounded like the UAW was ready to offer concessions in order to cajole GM into reversing the closings.

A local union bulletin to members mostly detailed the opportunities to transfer to other plants. UAW leaders brag about these transfer rights, although the available jobs may be more than 100 miles from home.

But not all members are guaranteed even this much. Transfer rights are weaker or nonexistent for contract workers such as janitors or material handlers, or those designated “temporaries,” no matter how long they have been working.

This is a union that was once the pacesetter for American labor, establishing cost-of-living raises, health insurance, and health and safety provisions. It has militant roots and one of the most democratic union constitutions. Compared to many other unions, its top leaders’ salaries are modest; a skilled worker with overtime can match them. So, what went wrong?"

CAP gets 450 "new jobs" as the news media sung it.  Actuality... 450 temporary openings, no seniority, no heath insurance, no paid time off and an on line description of 3days a week at $15.71 an hour. Wonder why there is little or no takers? Much less they wonder why the takers last a week, maybe?  

Edited by Decker

One of the so called foundations of union wages was equal pay for equal work.

That went out the window when 2nd tier workers paid union dues.

These lower paid workers are voting on legacy employees retirement, wages, etc.

What could go wrong.........

• Like 1

Ford Motor has 22 billion dollars of restructuring costs in Europe and South America.China is losing money.North America is highly profitable.Guess who will be paying for it all?The IUAW will keep us hanging on till the very last moment and then decide in a hurry.Do you want a strike or a signing bonus, with a little bit of give backs cuz,ya know,we are all lucky to have a job.Yes we have been effectively divided by 2nd tier + temps.Anybody seen the mitty-man walking around with the plastic bucket?I wanna vote on my future for the next 4 years!

• Like 2

No need to read between the lines any more, just read with an understanding that every penny of FCF and their balance sheet`s current status is made possibly largely by our... Multiple Tier's, TPT, LTS, No Defined Pension, No Health Care Coverage for an Extended Period of Time, No Cost of Living, No Retiree`s Health Care Costs, No LIB Increases etc etc etc and of course all the help from Fords main business partner the IUAW . I do respect the CFO`s straight forwardness. I like that word "FREE" ....well unless its my time and money that someone else has negotiated as being someone else's FREE MONEY....

"Our fundamental Q2 results were strong.  To me, free cash flow (FCF) is our most important financial measure.  When FCF is positive, there is more cash coming into the business than going out to pay for expenses and capital investments, like to increase manufacturing capacity.  FCF indicates that we are making good use of the company’s resources, and generating the fuel we need to power the company’s future.

Through the first half of 2019, our adjusted FCF was $2.1 billion, up 80 percent from a year ago.  On our balance sheet, the company’s cash and liquidity remain strong and above our targets."

Edited by Decker

Remember some old long hair mentioning "Through Put" as the main reason for change at any plant? Through Put (JPH) is the only way too, as the CFO said it "to increase manufacturing capacity". Hold on through put is going to make for a fast ride.

Edited by Decker
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Exactly-that is why I nuked it the other day.

You da man :hat_tip:

• No political, sports or other off-topic discussion is permitted

(but the Cubs are still the best, that`s all I can say :yahoo:)

Edited by Decker

On 7/27/2019 at 4:25 AM, Fatso said:

Ford Motor has 22 billion dollars of restructuring costs in Europe and South America.China is losing money.North America is highly profitable.Guess who will be paying for it all?The IUAW will keep us hanging on till the very last moment and then decide in a hurry.Do you want a strike or a signing bonus, with a little bit of give backs cuz,ya know,we are all lucky to have a job.Yes we have been effectively divided by 2nd tier + temps.Anybody seen the mitty-man walking around with the plastic bucket?I wanna vote on my future for the next 4 years!

Wish you all the best this contract, we negotiate next year and hope another tier isn't created to divide our already messed up shop floor.

more Product, more security for our junior members and shorten the grow in for new members will be high on our list, But we have to look after our retiries who helped us all get the gains we appreciate today.

Stay strong Brothers and sisters

2 hours ago, Ididntdoit said:

OMG take a few deep breathes ididntdoit click your heels together three times and keep saying St. Louis is gone... St Louis is gone... St Louis is gone

The sky isn`t falling ididntdoit …..really your gloom and doom is showing again just let it go 

Edited by Decker

too much sugar in your kool aid Decker

the titanic in sinking, seen it before like I said deja vu. 

you've had too many deep breaths of paint fumes to not see whats happening.

I'm ready to let it go, hurry up give me that separation package buy my pension hire 3 temps to replace me. 

• Like 1

Ummm who will be the target? Will there be at target? The old school technique was to announce the target on Labor Day.... (get it "labor day" hehehe)

Other than the last contract when all that lets help Fiat stuff was being talked about (bought :whistling:) the UAW business partner was put out front as target more times then not. A lot of times the rumors slipped about the business partners being close even before the target was announced. Then it would sneak out... Ford is the UAW target. Oooo Ford is the target in one sentence and we bee`s close in the next sentence.

This business partnership goes back a long way. Some of our youngin`s weren`t born when this professional negotiations was being acted out.

Ford, UAW Agree on Concessions

By   Warren Brown

February 12, 1982 

“The United Auto Workers union and the Ford Motor Co. announced agreement last night on "a basic economic framework" for a new two-year contract calling for major wage and benefit concessions by the company's 106,200 union workers. Both sides emphasized that critical job security issues must still be resolved before full contract agreement can be reached. But UAW President Douglas Fraser said they did not appear to be "insurmountable."
There was no immediate indication of the total labor savings involved, but there were some estimates that the savings could be as high as $500 million over the life of the agreement. Ford is expected to announce a 1981 loss of more than $1 billion next Thursday.
Negotiators said full agreement could be reached this weekend. "We have a few details to finish in the economic proposal . . . but we don't see them as insurmountable," Fraser said last night in Dearborn, Mich., where the two sides have met for the last 11 days.
Yes, as far back as 1982 the UAW Ford Division gave the company what other division said no too. Hmmm divide and conquer….  Back then.
The new contract agreement, if approved by the union's 225-member Ford bargaining council and a majority of its rank-and-file members at Ford, would replace a three-year contract expiring Sept. 14. It would also give Ford--the nation's second largest automaker--both an economic advantage and a public relations victory over the first-ranked General Motors Corp.
GM's efforts to win concessions from the UAW ended in failure Jan. 28. The union and GM had based their talks on an "agreement in principle" that any labor cost savings would be passed on to consumers in the form of lower sticker prices on GM cars and trucks.

Though details of the Ford negotiations were few, the union appears to have gone along with the company's basic economic proposal calling for a freeze in cost-of-living allowances, a lower wage for new hires, and a sacrifice of eight paid personal holidays.”

For those young members your UAW has been reaching into our back pockets for a long time to help their business partner.

Can any of you recent members believe the old school members actually got "8" days of paid time off above and beyond the vacation hours and personal business hours paid for the simple reason the company had worked the membership so many hours (while earning record profit's that are pale compared to the last ten years) a year that even the business partner agreed to get the profit`s by other means? (hire more people to cover for paid time off and keep the line rollin)

The year we got the PPH`s there wasn`t a signing bonus..... or cut in pay.

Edited by Decker

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Ididntdoit said:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/09/13/ford-2020-explorer-lincoln-aviator-delivery/2292795001/      yeah so I wasn't fear mongering or just blowing smoke. I called it out months ago some just can't handle truth.

I called you a fear monger because you stupidly keep insisting CAP is closing in December. 

39 minutes ago, Decker said:

Yep you called it.... the sky is falling.... the sky is falling

A little slow at being the town crier but you called it. fordauthorty.com then click on Chicago Assembly Plant Change Over Was An Ordilly....

called it out back in May, you and that short timer fuzzymowmow  didn't believe me, him with this I know a guy that knows a guy at a dealership BS. Too  much get's swept under the rug, over looked with heads turned the other way. 

Just now, fuzzymoomoo said:

I called you a fear monger because you stupidly keep insisting CAP is closing in December. 

I never said it was you assumed that cause Deckers mindless repeating of the rumors at the plant confusing it with my venting of chaos at CAP. But I won't say that it couldn't happen or that it won't because the red flags are all over it.