Fiat Chrysler puts merger offer to Renault board

silvrsvt

One of the things that caught my eye is that they say they won't shut down plants in Italy or France to achieve cost savings, so I wonder if they will touch North America, particularly the plant in Canada that builds the Charger/Challenger/300.  I hope not, but mergers usually destroy lives for the workers somewhere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

One of the things that caught my eye is that they say they won't shut down plants in Italy or France to achieve cost savings, so I wonder if they will touch North America, particularly the plant in Canada that builds the Charger/Challenger/300.  I hope not, but mergers usually destroy lives for the workers somewhere.

Listen to this.  Go to the 4:45 mark.

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?p=62047

18 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

One of the main reasons why Corporations merge is for cost savings. If you merge and do not cut any positions or facilities the merger is basically pointless. Don't be fooled if this happens there will be massive cuts in the future, however I'd expect the biggest cuts to be focused in places outside of France and Italy. North America will have little say in a Euro-centric organization like Fiat-Renault.

Edited by 2005Explorer

6 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

One of the main reasons why Corporations merge is for cost savings. If you merge and do not cut any positions or facilities the merger is basically pointless. Don't be fooled if this happens there will be massive cuts in the future, however I'd expect the biggest cuts to be focused in places outside of France and Italy. North America will have little say in a Euro-centric organization like Fiat-Renault.

The thing about this that irritates me is that the governments of France and Italy will fight for the workers and the people will fight for them, but in America, we say, "that's business". Jeep is making the profits! Not Fiat, not Alfa and not crappy Fiat!

How much longer can we be a profitable market if 90% of the population makes 15 dollars an hour while the board of directors makes in an hour what the average joe makes in a year. How can anything be sold to Americans if they have no money?

FCA won't shut the Fiat plants in Italy. This is why the Renegade and 500X are build in Italy even though most of them are sold in North America. The only way to address low utilization of European plants is to produce more in Europe.

I don't expect this to change with Renault-FCA merger. So naturally, the "synergies" will have to come from North and South America.

Turns out was a mirage, see other post. Seemed like was just click bait to get comments from car fanatics. Most Mopar fans were screaming 'noOo!' as if they were still building brand new 1969 Plymouth Road Runners. A few were like "oh goodie, we'll see new Dodge and Chysler 2 door hardtops!"