2018 Navigator Sync Update

I currently have Sync version 3.0 from the factory, but I see where the latest version is 3.3. I’ve been trying to perform an update via WiFi with no success. The date of the last update was 10-3-18, which I believe is the build date. I’ve tried logging onto  owner.lincoln.com to attempt a USB update, but it says that there are no updates available. Has anyone been able to update Sync beyond version 3.0?

10 minutes ago, HofstraJet said:

I have 17279 (my vehicle was one of the first off the line once regular production started). Auto update and manual updates don’t work. Vehicle is going in next week for service and will see if they can update it. 

Thanks so much. Please report back what happens. 

On 5/25/2019 at 3:35 PM, LincolnLawyer said:

What version are you running currently?

3.0.  Version 18039.  That’s on the 2016 MKX.  I can’t remember if I did the 3.0 update manually or if it did it via wi-if.  I thought it was Wi-Fi.  Let me go check the F150.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 3:37 PM, HofstraJet said:

I have 17279 (my vehicle was one of the first off the line once regular production started). Auto update and manual updates don’t work. Vehicle is going in next week for service and will see if they can update it. 

Any luck with the update?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, LincolnLawyer said:

Just to update this thread, I’ve had my Navigator for nearly 2 years now and there still has not any Sync updates. I remain on 3.0 build 17302. By comparison, my 2018 F-150 updates its Sync pretty much weekly. Has anyone successfully updated the Sync software on a 2018+ Navigator?

Hi LL. A couple of things. First...There have only been about 3 SYNC 3.0 updates (maybe 4) since the 2018 model year. So I am not sure why you feel your 2018 F-150 "updates its SYNC pretty much weekly". SYNC does not update weekly. Not even monthly. It may check for updates via WiFi, but it does not update anywhere near that often. As I stated, 3-4 updates in the last ~3 years.

Also...SYNC V3.0.xxxxx will not factory update to SYNC 3.3/3.4. The hardware was also updated in vehicles with 3.3/3.4. There are third party ways to upgrade to 3.4, but I would advise against it, especially if your vehicle is still under warranty.

That being said, it is unusual that you are stuck on SYNC 3.0.17302.  That is what my 2018 MKZ had when I purchased it in late May, 2018. And it has had 3-4 updates since then, to v3.0.20204..

What I would advise: Since you stated you have already gone to the Lincoln Owners SYNC update website and input your VIN to check for available updates and it shows no available updates, then give Lincoln Concierge a call to see if there are any available updates for your vehicle.

If that does not work out satisfactorily, make a service appointment to have your Lincoln Dealer update your SYNC system.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

I misspoke. My F-150 checks for updates via WiFi weekly and has successfully downloads them when available. My Navigator will not even complete a check. 

I have checked the owners page (no update available) and I have spoken to concierge, who simply referred me to my local dealer. Two different dealers have advised that no updates are available. 

I just find it strange that there have been no updates for this vehicle in two years. 

Edited by LincolnLawyer

5 hours ago, LincolnLawyer said:

I misspoke. My F-150 checks for updates via WiFi weekly and has successfully downloads them when available. My Navigator will not even complete a check. 

I have checked the owners page (no update available) and I have spoken to concierge, who simply referred me to my local dealer. Two different dealers have advised that no updates are available. 

I just find it strange that there have been no updates for this vehicle in two years. 

I’m curious - what updates do you want?  Is there a problem with the current version of the Sync software?  Thanks.

I have a 2019 Navigator with the same issue. I tell the system to check for updates and the check always fails. I brought to the dealer and they said to update with a USB drive. Yes this works, but it should be able to check for updates wirelessly as designed.

• Like 1

Same issue with a 18 Nav L Black Label, connected to wifi automatic updates fails every single time, last update was build date of 12/17. I was able to update SYNC via USB 2 weeks ago and yesterday I downloaded a rather large complimentary map update from Lincoln map update website that took 30 min to download and 60 min to install into truck all via USB flash drive. Adding to the comments above there absolutely have been updates to both SYNC and Maps however something is wrong with either the onboard modem or APIM in the vehicle, even after both USB updates I tried again to scan for automatic updates and it failed with the same message of try again later when convenient. Appointment to drop off at dealer this morning for the dreaded oil pan leak and VCT solenoid failure, will have them look into the update issue and report back as to what they find. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: After voicing my concerns with the dealer and them researching the issue it was determined that just recently Ford issued a bulletin on this topic, without going into the boring specifics in a nutshell Ford basically admits that there is an issue with the system (not sure if this is a problem within the vehicle or with the internet server) and no fix has been released to address it yet, any current or future updates to the SYNC or navigation must be done via USB flash drive until the issue is sorted out. 

• Like 1