Ford to reveal Mach e later this year

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Hm.  I see it still says "coming in 2020" , but I'm guessing means they'll show it toward the end of 2020, and it'll be a 2021 MY.

Didn't Hackett say right around the time of NAIAS we would see it by the end of this year? 

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I don't see why it being similar in size to the outgoing Escape would matter?  Features, sure, but I can't see Europe putting up with that with a lack of features either.

My theory is Scout will be around that size which would effectively make Puma redundant.

Perhaps Puma is being aimed more at Eastern Europe where they could get away with a lack of higher cost features? Haven't they struggled there for decades? 

55 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Maybe the Bronco push-back to '21 helps fast-track the next-gen Ranger, since both would be sharing similar frame architecture at MAP?

I dunno?  HRG

Bronco is first vehicle on NG T6, the schedule hasn't changed since start of the project, only people's supposed expectations.

2 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I never sad that, I said that Fusion balances out in 2021,

But there's going to have to be some sort of retooling.  And if they truly aren't continuing Fusion/dropping sedans, why would they bother maintaining production if they're already having to retool to produce a new platform?

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Didn't Hackett say right around the time of NAIAS we would see it by the end of this year? 

My theory is Scout will be around that size which would effectively make Puma redundant.

Perhaps Puma is being aimed more at Eastern Europe where they could get away with a lack of higher cost features? Haven't they struggled there for decades? 

Maybe?  Was it Bronco or Mach E?  I thought it was Mach E (unless it was both?)

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

But there's going to have to be some sort of retooling.  And if they truly aren't continuing Fusion/dropping sedans, why would they bother maintaining production if they're already having to retool to produce a new platform?

How much retooling is needed, why can't Ford build new vehicles alongside existing vehicles?

CD4 Fusion has standardized build sequence so not a big stretch to imaging a flex plant....

Eng handover of Bronco to NA is happening shortly so we're past final lock in of major component changes...

Edited by jpd80

2 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

How much retooling is needed, why can't Ford build new vehicles alongside existing vehicles?

CD4 Fusion has standardized build sequence so not a big stretch to imaging a flex plant....

I dunno.  Just thinking out loud

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I dunno.  Just thinking out loud

well, you're one up on Ford (thinking)

Interesting to see how the whole Ecosport - Puma - Scout  vehicle selection/prority plays out, if we had a choice it would be Puma over Ecosport ...just sayin' that Puma and "Scout" would give US  small utes in soft and "rugged" styles. I feel that Ecosport is not quite the right fit for North America but  maybe Puma is less so....

Edited by jpd80

Regarding B-segment CUV...

Here is what we know:

• Scout is not a B-segment CUV. The leaked photo showed dimensions roughly the same as Escape. It will probably end up being more expensive than Escape because Ford said so... "premium off road capable utility".
  • Puma is a B-segment CUV based on prototype testing vehicle, roughly the same size as competitors. The only thing we know for sure is Ford will build it in Romania.
  • EcoSport replacement is under development but India is likely going its own way with a Mahindra based platform while South America's EcoSport (if it survives Hackett's attempt to sell it to someone) will probably be paired with Ka.

Here are the unknowns:

• How big is the South America EcoSport now that it is free of India's 4-meter constraint
  • What will Ford do in China to plug the B-segment CUV hole
  • What else is Ford planning to build at Cuautitlan... it is capable of 250k+ volume and MACH E will probably take up 10% of that initially, and maybe 25% of that in a few years

56 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The Scout is going to be roughly the size of the current Escape, maybe an inch or two smaller overall. 

The Puma is Fiesta based

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Eng handover of Bronco to NA is happening shortly so we're past final lock in of major component changes...

To go even further, it's not like Ford doesn't already built 2 different platforms in 1 Plant. Oakville already builds CD4 and D3 on the same line, granted that's coming to an end by the end of the year. Point is, it can be done. 

14 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Regarding B-segment CUV...

Here is what we know:

• Scout is not a B-segment CUV. The leaked photo showed dimensions roughly the same as Escape. It will probably end up being more expensive than Escape because Ford said so... "premium off road capable utility".
  • Puma is a B-segment CUV based on prototype testing vehicle, roughly the same size as competitors. The only thing we know for sure is Ford will build it in Romania.
  • EcoSport replacement is under development but India is likely going its own way with a Mahindra based platform while South America's EcoSport (if it survives Hackett's attempt to sell it to someone) will probably be paired with Ka.

Here are the unknowns:

• How big is the South America EcoSport now that it is free of India's 4-meter constraint
  • What will Ford do in China to plug the B-segment CUV hole
  • What else is Ford planning to build at Cuautitlan... it is capable of 250k+ volume and MACH E will probably take up 10% of that initially, and maybe 25% of that in a few years

Also, what else will Ford build at Hermosillo since the models talked about will likely be far short of its capacity which is, what, about 325K annually?

18 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Also, what else will Ford build at Hermosillo since the models talked about will likely be far short of its capacity which is, what, about 325K annually?

I wish it was Transits for the US Postal.  Seeing those Dodge's driving around reminds me how fugly those things are.

46 minutes ago, 92merc said:

I wish it was Transits for the US Postal.  Seeing those Dodge's driving around reminds me how fugly those things are.

They are in they competition for the new USPS mail truck with another company-based on the Transit. 

I see alot of ugly full size Ram vans for Amazon delivery service 

19 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The Scout is going to be roughly the size of the current Escape, maybe an inch or two smaller overall. 

The Puma is Fiesta based

Do you know if the scout gets the escapes sliding rear seat? I can deal with it being the same size or even a bit smaller as long as I can fit an adult in the back seat.

1 minute ago, silvrsvt said:

They are in they competition for the new USPS mail truck with another company-based on the Transit. 

I wonder when they'll finally reveal the results of that?

33 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

That Transit based USPS truck is built by Oshkosh.

image.png.a91de060f14afad90b4abfc1ddfa0a03.png

Edited by twintornados

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

For some reason I thought that RFP was a done deal. 

So the USPS Dodge/Fiat Ducato's I'm seeing out there are just a stop gap probably?

4 hours ago, 92merc said:

For some reason I thought that RFP was a done deal. 

So the USPS Dodge/Fiat Ducato's I'm seeing out there are just a stop gap probably?

Ram Promaster is officially replacing the older Dodge C/V and Ford Windstar that USPS had in its fleet. They are primarily used for parcel delivery and not a replacement for the Grumman LLV.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:55 AM, silvrsvt said:

Here are the TC sales over the years, I thought it sold a bit better then that. 

Year Total
2009 8,834
2010 27,405
2011 31,914
2012 37,521
2013 39,703
2014 43,210
2015 52,221
2016 43,232
2017 34,473
2018 31,923

As for the Mach E-yes, it won't sell in huge numbers, but I think it will sell better then 1K units a month-if the EV market is growing like it is. Its getting launched into the hottest segment and seems like it won't give much up to its gas powered rivals. 

Agree, it will be expensive and won't be a huge volume vehicle, but agree it will likely sell well more than 1K a month. The Lincoln version will cost even more and may well sell at that pace.

• Like 1