GM Debuts New Electrical Platform

We have some IT pros on the forum, please clue us in on this development:

The platform powers an electronic system capable of managing up to 4.5 terabytes of data processing power per hour--a fivefold increase over GM’s current electronic architecture.

The new architecture also speeds up communication within the vehicle and externally with ethernet connections of 100 Mbs, 1 Gpbs and 10 Gbps and will include strengthened cybersecurity features, according to GM.

Entire article here:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/edgarsten/2019/05/20/general-motors-unveils-all-new-electronic-platform/#4546f7066cf3

57 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Any idea how it compares to what Ford is currently running? 

Not sure because Ford doesn't feel the need to go around bragging about such things, but I would assume Ford is somewhere in between GM's old and new architecture.  AVs and BEVs might get newer stuff but the rest don't really need it right now.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

And it's already shorting out tail lights and turn signals 

Not sure if this is meant as just a "shot" but from a practical perspective, there is no doubt that I frequently see GM vehicles with a headlight out-and late model vehicles at that.  I was in a conversation with some guys the other day on this subject and the consensus was..."true observation.

and I'm assuming this is in fact "electronics" as opposed to "new electrical platform" as in multiplexing.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:17 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Not sure if this is meant as just a "shot" but from a practical perspective, there is no doubt that I frequently see GM vehicles with a headlight out-and late model vehicles at that.  I was in a conversation with some guys the other day on this subject and the consensus was..."true observation.

and I'm assuming this is in fact "electronics" as opposed to "new electrical platform" as in multiplexing.

Yeah, if it's not quite dark enough for headlights and you see something with one headlight out, chances are really good that it's a GM product. Or a motorcycle.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2019 at 1:17 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Depends-I worked at a place that made microelectronic devices and they used Network Analyzers to tune the frequencies on them. Coming from the IT world-a Network Analyzer normally is a packet sniffer like WireShark etc-but any microelectronic devices used together is considered a network, when it comes to the Network Analyzer as stated above.  That kinda blew my mind at first.