• Custom Search

RnDSchmidt

'19 Expedition Tail Lights

I have a '19 Expedition that I'm going to setup for towing behind a motorhome and I need to access the back side of the rear lights to add in a diode kit so that the motorhome and Expedition electrical systems don't mix.  My problem is that I haven't figured out how to remove the light assembly.  When I lift up the hatchback / tailgate there aren't any fasteners visible holding onto the lights.  I also do not see any easy to remove interior panels to provide access from the rear.  

Anyone do any work on the rear lights on their '18 or '19 Expedition and have an idea where to start?

Thanks

- Richard

Tail Light 19 Expedition.png

IMG_2262.JPG

Hi Richard. Instructions for changing the taillight bulbs are on pages 346-347 of your Owners Manual. In the "Maintenance" section.

Good luck.

Thanks.  Figures that it would be somewhere obvious like that!  I do see that it talks about the LED tail lights as being non serviceable and high voltage.  I'll have to see what the harness and voltage is next.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction.

The LED lights are just like the normal bulbs - regular 12V.  The colors Ford chose aren't the common ones I'd expect but all in all wasn't too much of an issue.

Now Just need to isolate the brake light wire so it doesn't override the motorhome driven turn signals.  When the supplemental brake system pushes the brake pedal to match the motorhome - which turns on the tail lights solid and bright;  the motorhome is trying to flash the turn signals because you are turning but the flashing doesn't come through due to the brake light being solid on.

On 6/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, RnDSchmidt said:

The LED lights are just like the normal bulbs - regular 12V.  The colors Ford chose aren't the common ones I'd expect but all in all wasn't too much of an issue.

Now Just need to isolate the brake light wire so it doesn't override the motorhome driven turn signals.  When the supplemental brake system pushes the brake pedal to match the motorhome - which turns on the tail lights solid and bright;  the motorhome is trying to flash the turn signals because you are turning but the flashing doesn't come through due to the brake light being solid on.

Part of that is that Ford cheeped out and didn't use separate turn signals / Brake sections.  So the Expedition bulb/LED going to function Brake/Turn out of the same section of the assembly, they saved $1 doing it on your $70,000 vehicle.