'20 Escape Hybrid To Get 39MPG

35 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

This is just their estimate.

The estimate came from Ford.

During a breakdown of the Escape Hybrid's new powertrain, Ford's Manager of Advanced Electrified Powertrain Systems, Daniel Kok, told us that the new Escape Hybrid would get 50% better fuel economy than the current Escape in 1.5-liter EcoBoost form. That 2019 car's combined fuel economy rating is 26 mpg. Doing the math leads us to assume the Escape Hybrid will get about 39 mpg combined.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

Well, the percentage came from Ford at least, but he wasn't specific if it was highway, city, or combined.

He may be low-balling it as well, and we could see better numbers once the formal testing is revealed.

True but it's probably close.

47 minutes ago, 92merc said:

So, are they going to make a Corsair hybrid?  Something with more of a performance setup, but get decent mileage??  39mpg is pretty good, IMO.

They are but for some reason they’re not ready t reveal it. PHEV for sure, I've seen mules driving around with charge ports on the fenders. 

29 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They are but for some reason they’re not ready t reveal it. PHEV for sure, I've seen mules driving around with charge ports on the fenders. 

Yup, Lincoln also showed pics of the PHEV with the charge port upon Corsair's reveal, but didn't show it.  I think those pics have also been taken down since then.

3 hours ago, Trailhiker said:

Well, the percentage came from Ford at least, but he wasn't specific if it was highway, city, or combined.

He may be low-balling it as well, and we could see better numbers once the formal testing is revealed.

Comparisons between Escape Hybrid and Toyota RAV4 Hybrid are inevitable. Ford engineers are probably doing whatever it takes to match RAV4 Hybrid's combined fuel economy estimate of 40 mpg.

21 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Comparisons between Escape Hybrid and Toyota RAV4 Hybrid are inevitable. Ford engineers are probably doing whatever it takes to match RAV4 Hybrid's combined fuel economy estimate of 40 mpg.

Nobody is buying one vs. the other because it gets 39 vs. 40 vs. 41 mpg.

Be confident that Ford has done a great job developing the 3.3 V6 HEV and 2.5 I-4 HEV and that they will achieve their expected fuel economy targets. I'm a little concerned about issues with EB + hybrids, Ford has done good work on the extended range 1.0 EB PHEV in Transit custom but the larger EBs are proving troublesome with fuel economy targets, the cure is to hide them behind a PHEV "firewall".

On 5/17/2019 at 4:51 PM, akirby said:

Why does it “need” to beat it?  Will it hurt sales?

RAV4 has been eating Ford's lunch and dinner in the compact SUV segment. In 2013, when both Escape and RAV4 were completely redesigned, Escape outsold RAV4 by nearly 78,000 units in the U.S.

By 2018, Ford's lead not only disappeared, but RAV4 actually outsold Escape by nearly 155,000 units. 

With the updated 2020 Escape, Ford is doing away with the mediocrity of the previous generation model. You can bet Ford will try to match or beat RAV4 in as many areas as possible, including fuel economy. They are playing to win this time.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

RAV4 has been eating Ford's lunch and dinner in the compact SUV segment. In 2013, when both Escape and RAV4 were completely redesigned, Escape outsold RAV4 by nearly 78,000 units in the U.S.

By 2018, Ford's lead not only disappeared, but RAV4 actually outsold Escape by nearly 155,000 units. 

With the updated 2020 Escape, Ford is doing away with the mediocrity of the previous generation model. You can bet Ford will try to match or beat RAV4 in as many areas as possible, including fuel economy. They are playing to win this time.

Well of course they’d like to beat everyone on paper.   But if you think that 41 vs. 40 vs. 39 mpg is going to be the deciding factor in a purchase you’re delusional.  It has to be competitive, it doesn’t have to be 1 mpg better.

11 hours ago, akirby said:

Well of course they’d like to beat everyone on paper.   But if you think that 41 vs. 40 vs. 39 mpg is going to be the deciding factor in a purchase you’re delusional.  It has to be competitive, it doesn’t have to be 1 mpg better.

A bit off topic, but long ago, a big box store found they could sell about 3-6% more of a product if it was priced $19.72 vs $19.99.

I also think these hypermilers are number freaks, just as much as the enthusiasts in us would rather see 702HP over 698HP!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trailhiker said:

I also think these hypermilers are number freaks, just as much as the enthusiasts in us would rather see 702HP over 698HP!

Yes sir Trailhiker, that's true. One of my friends owns a 2014 Toyota Camry hybrid and likes to try hypermiling techniques sometimes. He showed me evidence of a trip he did between Washington D.C. and Richmond Virginia in which he got 58 mpg average with his car roundtrip.

Anyway, he went gaga when 2018 Camry Hybrid became the first non plug-in midsize sedan to hit (actually exceed) the 50 mpg overall number on EPA tests. Same when the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid became the first non plug-in SUV to get 40 mpg overall.

23 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir Trailhiker, that's true. One of my friends owns a 2014 Toyota Camry hybrid and likes to try hypermiling techniques sometimes. He showed me evidence of a trip he did between Washington D.C. and Richmond Virginia in which he got 58 mpg average with his car roundtrip.

Anyway, he went gaga when 2018 Camry Hybrid became the first non plug-in midsize sedan to hit (actually exceed) the 50 mpg overall number on EPA tests. Same when the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid became the first non plug-in SUV to get 40 mpg overall.

And I cringe to think that the 58 mpg was probably achieved by going 15 mph under the speed limit with five miles of open road in front of him and 20 miles of bumper to bumper cars with pissed off drivers behind him getting every red light along the way.

4 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

And I cringe to think that the 58 mpg was probably achieved by going 15 mph under the speed limit with five miles of open road in front of him and 20 miles of bumper to bumper cars with pissed off drivers behind him getting every red light along the way.

Or taking a longer route that actually ends up burning more gas just to get a higher mpg number.

19 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

While I didn't join him during that trip, I know my friend doesn't do that kind of stuff. Nor does he try to "draft" behind tractor trailers. His main hypermiling techniques are anticipatory driving (that's the most important), smoothness with accelerator and brake inputs, and not using the air conditioner in ambient temps under 80° F. Also, the guy must have nerves of steel. Always calm and collected no matter what. I've never seen him get the least bit frustrated amid horrible Washington D.C. traffic.

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

Or taking a longer route that actually ends up burning more gas just to get a higher mpg number.

He used I-395 and I-95, pretty much the most commonly used freeway route between Washington and Richmond. Traffic congestion in Washington and in Northern Virginia between the Potomac River and Quantico USMC Reservation actually helped him get a higher mpg number. Hybrids excel in this scenario because of regenerative braking and electric motor only propulsion at low speeds.

6 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

How is that different than any other Camry driver??

Edited by AGR