Chevrolet Trailblazer to return to US - 2 sizes smaller

PREMiERdrum

The Bowtie hasn't gone into specifics yet, so we aren't sure how large or small the Trailblazer is compared to the subcompact Trax we already have, and what its arrival means for the Trax. The Trax rides on GM's Gamma II platform, while the Trailblazer utilizes the automaker's new, modular VSS-S architecture. As far back as two years ago, GM said it wanted to add another crossover to the Chevrolet lineup. GM Authority believes the Trailblazer will replace the Trax outright later this year, while Motor Trend reports the Trailblazer could slot in to the lineup between the Trax and the Equinox, perhaps as a more rugged or upscale entry in the same class.

3ca5d810-72f0-11e9-b3ff-96fab6bc9e3c

LINK - Autoblog

It's dumb on so many levels. 

"Trailblazer" spent 3 years as a trim level of the Blazer, then the nameplate was used on the Blazer's GM360-based replacement midsize SUV, which itself was replaced by the Traverse. Now the Blazer nameplate has been resurrected and slapped on a FWD, overpriced midsized crossover, and the Trailblazer name will come back and slot *under* this. 

So the lineup is likely to be:

Trax / Trailblazer / Equinox / Blazer / Traverse

Lord Jesus. All the facepalms. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's a strange article... GM released the size of Trailblazer already. It is a short-C utility - roughly same size as Jeep Compass, Nissan Rogue Sport, and Subaru XV Crosstrek.

Here are the dimensions L x W x H // WB

• Trax (current model): 4,248 mm x 1,766 x 1,674 // 2,555
  • Tracker (replacing Trax in China): 4,270mm x 1,791 x 1,602 // 2,570
  • Trailblazer: 4,411mm x 1,808 x 1,633 // 2,640
  • Equinox: 4,652mm x 1,843 x 1,661 // 2,757
  • Encore (current model): 4,280mm x 1,775 x 1,646 // 2,555
  • Encore (new model): 4,295mm x 1,798 x 1,616 // 2,570
  • Encore GX: 4,463mm x 1,813 x 1,642 // 2,640
  • Envision: 4,667mm x 1,804 x 1,659 // 2,750

So the Chevy line up looks this:

• Subcompact/B-segment: Trax (name changed to Tracker in China but not sure about US)
  • Compact/C-short: Trailblazer
  • Compact/C-long: Euqinox
  • Midsize/D segment: Blazer
  • Large/E segment: Traverse

And the Buick line up looks like this:

• Subcompact/B-segment: Encore
  • Compact/C-short:  Encore GX
  • Compact/C-long: Envision
  • Midsize/D segment: N/A but basically GMC Acadia Denali
  • Large/E segment: Enclave

On 5/10/2019 at 10:19 PM, Fgts said:

This isn't US bound, it's on GMs GEM platform (won't pass US crash standards). If it is color me shocked.

GEM platform SUV is Baojun 530 / Chevy Captiva.

Tracker, Trailblazer, Encore, and Encore GX are using the new version of Gamma platform.

I think they need Colorado BOF based Trailblazer to boost the offerings in the upper mid sized SUVs, I don't see the current Blazer doing much.....

Knowing GM, the Gamma based Trailblazer may be on the table, a better fit IMO than Trax...

• 2 weeks later...

I think it looks decent. Like Blazer, it has one of the better implementations of the split headlight look. Usually that look is absolutely horrible (Hyundai is inexplicably going with that hideous look on every crossover model, and their implementation is terrible), but Chevy has done a decent job "hiding" it.

Is there really enough room between Trax and Equinox though?

I also question the usage of the Trailblazer name, but they've made some weird naming decisions lately (namely Blazer, which I think would've made more sense to have the Trailblazer name if anything)

10 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Found this on Jalopnik. How fitting. 

A76B072A-3F04-4E2F-89DB-BB7F7AA04119.jpeg

I don't like- it but that does not matter.

The 40k customers a month buying RAV4 and CR-V think this is what a modern car SHOULD look like - and Chevy is very smart to copy that look with the Blazer and TrailBlazer if they want to sell!

Guess I'd eat my words, apparently the redesigned Tracker is still US bound but didn't expect Trailblazer to be offered here. Fwiw the older encore will be offered along with the Encore GX and Tracker/Trailblazer will be Chevy's versions.