Aviator GT only has 20 miles pure electric range

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

That’s just their guess.  Ford hasn’t announced anything yet.

This thread should be deleted or the caption changed.  The caption makes a statement of fact.  As you pointed out the article is simply guessing - although it may end up being correct based on the specs of the Euro Explorer (and it would be disappointing).  However, until there is official word from Ford,  captions should be accurate.

I'm sure I'm not alone in expecting a decent pure EV range as a buying point. The power of the Aviator is already excellent and better than most midsize SUV on the market. Even better performance is not necessary for most people. On the other hand, if the pure EV range can cover daily commute for most people, it will be the best of both world. Not using gas on daily commute and not to worry long range driving, would be a big selling point for Lincoln. 

• Like 1

Just as you now have optional engine choices, you will likely have optional hybrid choices for some models. This is clearly not for someone who wants to give up gas and plug in a couple times a week. This is a performance enhancer. It wouldn't surprise me to see other engine/battery options depending on the customer they are targeting.

There are some here who probably know but until we hear it from Lincoln, I am not buying it. My opinion based on what we have heard so far is that this will be a performance hybrid. All of the good stuff with more power but with none of the FE penalty. That's my take. It will be an added bonus if this thing can do 30 miles or more on electric but I don't think that was a target for this vehicle. In a nutshell, more powerful, have roughly 20 mile all electric range, and get at least the same FE as the ICE version for a few k more. For a luxury vehicle, that doesn't sound like a bad proposition.

42 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

There are some here who probably know but until we hear it from Lincoln, I am not buying it. My opinion based on what we have heard so far is that this will be a performance hybrid. All of the good stuff with more power but with none of the FE penalty. That's my take. It will be an added bonus if this thing can do 30 miles or more on electric but I don't think that was a target for this vehicle. In a nutshell, more powerful, have roughly 20 mile all electric range, and get at least the same FE as the ICE version for a few k more. For a luxury vehicle, that doesn't sound like a bad proposition.

And you are probably right and I believe that is a huge miss by Lincoln.  People aren't paying an extra $10k plus for a little extra power.  They are willing to pay that to be "green".  The extra power is the bonus, not the other way around.  The requirement in China is 50km - that should have been their target.  Plus the reality is by having a larger battery the buyer gets a larger tax credit.  My guess is that the increased tax credit would completely cover the additional costs to go from a 13kwh  to a 17kwh battery. Ford has already disclosed the specs on the Euro PHEV Explorer, hopefully  the reason they have not disclosed the Aviator is because they realize those specs are not good enough.

Edited by msm859

40 minutes ago, msm859 said:

And you are probably right and I believe that is a huge miss by Lincoln.  People aren't paying an extra $10k plus for a little extra power.  They are willing to pay that to be "green".  The extra power is the bonus, not the other way around.  The requirement in China is 50km - that should have been their target.  Plus the reality is by having a larger battery the buyer gets a larger tax credit.  My guess is that the increased tax credit would completely cover the additional costs to go from a 13kwh  to a 17kwh battery. Ford has already disclosed the specs on the Euro PHEV Explorer, hopefully  the reason they have not disclosed the Aviator is because they realize those specs are not good enough.

It's always possible it could be a miss. The market will dictate that. I think it will be a success but there are a lot of variables. Also, if you think 50hp and 200 torque is a little extra, what do you think is a lot? It also includes some addition options on the ICE reserve as standard. My prediction is this will easily out accelerate the ICE version to 60 by 1 second. Yes, that would put it in the really f'ing quick territory. Not Tesla quick but getting there. That's just my guess based on current what we know so far. We'll find out soon enough as Chicago production has just started for Explorer/Aviator.

Just think for a moment based on what we have currently. The FWD biased current (heavier, 6 speed and torque managed) Explorer Sport accelerates to 60 in 6 seconds flat (roughly). Add 35hp and 50lb/ft torque, plus rwd bias, and robust 10 speed to lighter platform and that could shave 4-5 tenths off. Now add another 50hp and 200lb torque. It's entirely possible that the GT breaks into the 4's.  That's pretty fast for a 3 row SUV for a whopping 68k. Now what does this all mean? Nothing really but it just goes to show that the Aviator GT has the potential to have performance to back up that 10k uptick in price, all while giving you some of the benefits of a PHEV. I think that sounds like a win. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

It's always possible it could be a miss. The market will dictate that. I think it will be a success but there are a lot of variables. Also, if you think 50hp and 200 torque is a little extra, what do you think is a lot? It also includes some addition options on the ICE reserve as standard. My prediction is this will easily out accelerate the ICE version to 60 by 1 second. Yes, that would put it in the really f'ing quick territory. Not Tesla quick but getting there. That's just my guess based on current what we know so far. We'll find out soon enough as Chicago production has just started for Explorer/Aviator.

Just think for a moment based on what we have currently. The FWD biased current (heavier, 6 speed and torque managed) Explorer Sport accelerates to 60 in 6 seconds flat (roughly). Add 35hp and 50lb/ft torque, plus rwd bias, and robust 10 speed to lighter platform and that could shave 4-5 tenths off. Now add another 50hp and 200lb torque. It's entirely possible that the GT breaks into the 4's.  That's pretty fast for a 3 row SUV for a whopping 68k. Now what does this all mean? Nothing really but it just goes to show that the Aviator GT has the potential to have performance to back up that 10k uptick in price, all while giving you some of the benefits of a PHEV. I think that sounds like a win. 

I think an extra 100 hp would be a lot (adequate) with 150 of that being from the electric motor.  The closest competition is coming this summer - the Range Rover Sport PHEV it is rated at 31 mile electric range (albeit the euro cycle), Currently have an Explorer Platinum with the ecoboost 365 hp motor and the power is fine.  If I really have the need for 0-60 I drive my Corvette.  I am looking at the Aviator for my wife and want a PHEV.  She mostly drives around town and I want it to be able to do that in electric mode with reasonable performance.

22 minutes ago, msm859 said:

I think an extra 100 hp would be a lot (adequate) with 150 of that being from the electric motor.  The closest competition is coming this summer - the Range Rover Sport PHEV it is rated at 31 mile electric range (albeit the euro cycle), Currently have an Explorer Platinum with the ecoboost 365 hp motor and the power is fine.  If I really have the need for 0-60 I drive my Corvette.  I am looking at the Aviator for my wife and want a PHEV.  She mostly drives around town and I want it to be able to do that in electric mode with reasonable performance.

I see. It's insane to think they that there are CUV's that are quicker than premium sports cars from a decade or so ago. It sounds like a loaded PHEV Explorer would have been what you are looking for. However, since you are in the US, you are out of luck for at least the first model year. What's your floor on the electric range? 

49 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

What's your floor on the electric range? 

It depends.  I would like a minimum real world 25 miles.  The more it is the quicker I will buy.  Currently have a 2017 Explorer so there is no urgent rush, but if they came out the gate over 30 miles I would buy now.  At 20 miles I would probably wait a year and see what else comes out.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm, maybe if a political influencer buys one, otherwise those that have will prevent those who don't to keep the carpool lanes from being just as bad as the freeway. 

By the current policy "Enhanced Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle
Enhanced AT PZEV
An AT PZEV using a ZEV fuel such as electricity or hydrogen.  Examples include plug-in hybrids or hydrogen internal combustion engine vehicle"

Yes, but you are in Cali, so who knows if they will follow their policy.  JMO