Ford Bronco Spied Revealing Front Axle From Underneath

23 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

THANK YOU! I don't understand why people want the Bronco to be a Wrangler clone. That's not a good way to do business and just asking for trouble. 

Because Ford already has plenty of SUV's with IFS that it could just change the body on, 

so what really is the point of an all NEW bronco chassis, if it is not competing against the wrangler. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OX1 said:

Because Ford already has plenty of SUV's with IFS that it could just change the body on, 

so what really is the point of an all NEW bronco chassis, if it is not competing against the wrangler. 

Those other small to mid sized SUVs aren’t BOF.   IRS is perfectly fine except for hard core rock crawling and a SFA will be available for those folks.  As opposed to what Wrangler does which is force everyone to get SFA even if they drive mostly on pavement.

27 minutes ago, akirby said:

Projects like that (a variant of a new or existing vehicle) are rarely canned outright unless the market goes away.   What usually happens is they either run into time or cost constraints and have to delay certain models or features.   Then they just get pushed out to a future release.  A hybrid Bronco will never be off the table completely.

Didn't Ford confirm the hybrid Bronco in yesterday's conference call?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/electrifying-news-ford-confirms-bronco-hybrid/

Just now, Gurgeh said:

Didn't Ford confirm the hybrid Bronco in yesterday's conference call?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/electrifying-news-ford-confirms-bronco-hybrid/

Up until yesterday morning when that news broke, the rumor was the Bronco Hybrid was cancelled and or delayed for a while.

Now it seems it will launch by December 2021-a year after actual launch of the vehicle. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Edgeoffroad04 said:

Wont Bronco be a 2021 model year? If so we dont have any direction yet from the 2020 oil chart.

I really don't think a 2021 engine lineup will be any different. At this point it's probably a reasonable assumption that future engines will just be redesigns/upgrades of current ones. 

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Well to be fair it's not like when something is cancelled it's just thrown out right away. I bet somewhere on a server  in the depths of the glass house is what remains of the NG Fusion program and they could pick it right back up tomorrow if they wanted without too much catching up. 

I have a feeling we'll see it pop up after they push out the new utilities.

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Does anyone know what the F-150 is getting for Hybrid? Is it the 3.3L or 2.7L Ecoboost plus Hybrid? 

I'd think it would get the 3.3 Hybrid, but I guess it would depend on how they want position it and that would effect the Bronco choice too. I'd assume the Bronco would be more premium then Explorer (smaller numbers overall produced with a high ATP) would point it at 2.7L Hybird if it exisits. Not sure if Ford is going to want to offer 3 completely different powertrains in a product that is going to sell 100K (more likely more then that) units a year. 

Well, it would also get whatever Ranger hybrid would get too, so that's something to consider.

23 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Didn't someone say a Ranger Hybrid probably wasn't happening? Was that BORG or am I imagining things? 

Not sure!  I was just extrapolating that if there's a Bronco hybrid, it'd be logical to extend that to include a Ranger hybrid too.  Haven't they also said all models will get some sort of electrification going forward?

38 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Didn't someone say a Ranger Hybrid probably wasn't happening? Was that BORG or am I imagining things? 

I was under the impression that it was still go with Ranger, but no the Bronco-at least at launch, which is more plausible to launch both of them at the same time, if they wanted. 

Honestly, I always expected the bronco to launch without the hybrid.  Save the electric for later after you test demand on the Bronco and you get the bonus of a second "awesome new vehicle" even if it's just the same truck you already launched but more expensive.

And it would be strange not to offer a hybrid ranger if you're doing a Bronco hybrid.

Edited by probowler

I'm interested to see how they plan to offer IFS and SFA on the same platform. Those two suspension designs require very different hard points on the chassis. It'll be interesting to see how they accommodate both designs without totally compromising the engine bay and front of the passenger cabin.  Even the front driveshaft will be different and may even require a different transfer case arrangement.

4 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Does any manufacturer make a turbocharged hybrid?

Pretty much all the European brands do.

VW Jetta 1.4T hybrid

Audi A3 etron (same 1.4T as Jetta)

Audi Q5 etron with 2.0T

BMW 330e/530e with 2.0T

Mercedes C350e with 2.0T

Porsche Panemera and Cayenne ebybrid PHEV 3.0T V6

Volvo XC60 T8 and XC90 T8 2.0T

I'm sure I missed a few...

10 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Pretty much all the European brands do.

VW Jetta 1.4T hybrid

Audi A3 etron (same 1.4T as Jetta)

Audi Q5 etron with 2.0T

BMW 330e/530e with 2.0T

Mercedes C350e with 2.0T

Porsche Panemera and Cayenne ebybrid PHEV 3.0T V6

Volvo XC60 T8 and XC90 T8 2.0T

I'm sure I missed a few...

Thanks.

5 hours ago, OX1 said:

Don't confuse what I said. I never said don't compete with the wrangler. What I said was why does everyone want a CLONE of the wrangler? What’s the point of that? Just go buy a wrangler if that's the case. 

Supposed IFS Limitations aside (real and perceived) the Bronco will be great when it finally gets here and unlike Wrangler it won't suck to drive down a freeway on. 

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Maybe it was a not with this generation thing. 

But I was also under the impression that the Bronco is next gen T6, like the upcoming Ranger, so they can fit the 2.7 V6 in it...What I was trying to say was the Bronco would have gotten a hybrid in 2022/23CY or so, when the next gen Ranger Launches, maybe as part of a MCE, but now it seems like its going to be just a late arrival 

13 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

I'm interested to see how they plan to offer IFS and SFA on the same platform. Those two suspension designs require very different hard points on the chassis. It'll be interesting to see how they accommodate both designs without totally compromising the engine bay and front of the passenger cabin.  Even the front driveshaft will be different and may even require a different transfer case arrangement.

Then the answer has to be IFS only. 

19 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Don't confuse what I said. I never said don't compete with the wrangler. What I said was why does everyone want a CLONE of the wrangler? What’s the point of that? Just go buy a wrangler if that's the case. 

Supposed IFS Limitations aside (real and perceived) the Bronco will be great when it finally gets here and unlike Wrangler it won't suck to drive down a freeway on. 

Suck to drive down a freeway on? Bit of an exaggeration. I drive plenty of Super Duty’s and Silverado HD’s at work and there is no great difference in ride quality like some who have never driven them think.

Solid axle in the market Bronco is targeting has more pluses than minuses.

21 hours ago, Steve557 said:

Suck to drive down a freeway on? Bit of an exaggeration. I drive plenty of Super Duty’s and Silverado HD’s at work and there is no great difference in ride quality like some who have never driven them think.

Solid axle in the market Bronco is targeting has more pluses than minuses.

Not an exaggeration at all. Wranglers are kinda known for being terrible to drive at freeway speeds, buyers just put up with it as part of buying one. Comparing a Super Duty or HD Silverado is not the same thing, they’re bigger heavier and designed for a completely different purpose. It's apples and oranges. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Not an exaggeration at all. Wranglers are kinda known for being terrible to drive at freeway speeds, buyers just put up with it as part of buying one. Comparing a Super Duty or HD Silverado is not the same thing, they’re bigger heavier and designed for a completely different purpose. It's apples and oranges. 

It’s apples to apples, same class of vehicle  one with SFA and one with IFS to illustrate that there is no great difference in ride quality between the two setups.

If anything the Jeep probably has a lot of wind noise and other dynamics that have nothing to do with the axle set up. Maybe I should go tell the people I see cruising at 80 down the highway in new Wranglers that it’s terrible?

Ford has enough mall cruisers in their SUV lineup. Don’t ruin the Bronco with IFS.

3 minutes ago, Steve557 said:

It’s apples to apples, same class of vehicle  one with SFA and one with IFS to illustrate that there is no great difference in ride quality between the two setups.

If anything the Jeep probably has a lot of wind noise and other dynamics that have nothing to do with the axle set up. Maybe I should go tell the people I see cruising at 80 down the highway in new Wranglers that it’s terrible?

Ford has enough mall cruisers in their SUV lineup. Don’t ruin the Bronco with IFS.

It's not the same class of vehicle... one was designed to be a badass towing machine and one was designed to be an off-roader that might be able to pull a small snowmobile trailer or jet skis. You just can't compare the two. 

3 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's not the same class of vehicle... one was designed to be a badass towing machine and one was designed to be an off-roader that might be able to pull a small snowmobile trailer or jet skis. You just can't compare the two. 

Since there is no comparison of a Jeep with an IFS I would say using two vehicles that are comparable with the different suspensions is a pretty good way of showing that there is little difference in driving dynamics...

I wasn’t comparing the two vehicles... but rather comparing the suspensions between two like vehicles...

Edited by Steve557

Just now, Steve557 said:

Since there is no comparison of a Jeep with an IFS i would say using two vehicles that are comparable with the different suspensions is a pretty good way of showing that there is little difference in driving dynamics...

So you’re going to ignore the fact that a super duty weighs almost twice as much as a Wrangler? What about suspension setup? All of that will change how a vehicle rides. Don't forget too that by nature a pickup will be more front heavy than a Jeep. 

2 hours ago, Steve557 said:

Since there is no comparison of a Jeep with an IFS I would say using two vehicles that are comparable with the different suspensions is a pretty good way of showing that there is little difference in driving dynamics...

I wasn’t comparing the two vehicles... but rather comparing the suspensions between two like vehicles...

I bet less than 10% of Wrangler buyers (and probably less on the 4 doors) actually WANT a SFA.  The rest don’t care because they’re not rock crawling.

IFS will not be a big problem as long as there is an easy SFA conversion available.

Guys. 

Let's not pretend that Brono and Wrangler have ever been 100% analogous.

The new Bronco has been designed and engineered *not* to be a Ford Wrangler. It is meant to be a "functional lifestyle vehicle" that is livable as a daily driver but completely capable as an offroader. Wranger will undercut Bronco at the lower end (Bronco Scout, this is your cue...), but that's the only tradeoff between the two.

Go way back... the Wrangler's pedigree as original Jeep (many of which were Ford-built) has ALWAYS been a utilitarian, sacrifices-made vehicle that wasn't necessarily the best daily driver. 

The new Bronco will, as I'm told, bring real capability to a livable package with heaps of style and panache. 

Ford doesn't always get it right, but I've been assured that the Bronco *brand* is being handled with the same "golden goose" gloves as F-Series and Mustang. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1