VW Admits Rebadging The Ford Ranger Is A Terrible Idea

https://carbuzz.com/news/vw-admits-rebadging-the-ford-ranger-is-a-terrible-idea

"It’s still a little bit hazy to be quite honest,” he said. "We’ve kind of signed probably what could be classified as some sort of a joint agreement to say, ‘Hey, let’s partner up, let’s share ideas.’ What will come of it is, at the moment, still not 100% certain.” Schaefer admitted a small team at both Ford and VW are trying to figure out how to best take advantage of the new partnership specifically regarding commercial vans and mid-size pickup trucks. But Schaefer also acknowledged the likely complications of using the Ranger platform.

"You've got to think about it realistically: We would have to build a vehicle on a Ford platform that would have to look totally different to the Ford, so it’s a complex project. And also, obviously, Ford (would) have to remain competitive in the market. They’re not going to throw, like, an olive branch at us and give us their Ranger or whatever else. It’s super-competitive (in that segment).”

800px-VW_Taro_1987-1991_frontleft_2008-0

800px-Volkswagen_Taro_4x4_Xtra-Cab_side_

It's not like they haven't try it before...

But seriously, I didn't think Ford will just let them rebadge Ranger. Ford is probably very happy to let VW use the T6 platform and build the truck for VW if necessary but I don't think anyone was seriously expecting a straight up rebadge like the old VW Taro.

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

2018 Mazda BT50 based on T6 Ranger, it's a re-skin, not just a "rebadge"

mainimage-747.jpg

You beat me to it. Then there's also the *cough* XClass Mercedes, the "not just a re-skinned Navara" Mercedes Midsize... 

• Like 1

"You've got to think about it realistically: We would have to build a vehicle on a Ford platform that would have to look totally different to the Ford, so it’s a complex project. And also, obviously, Ford (would) have to remain competitive in the market. They’re not going to throw, like, an olive branch at us and give us their Ranger or whatever else. It’s super-competitive (in that segment).” 

This is clever  spin from VW's North American boss, he knows that VW will simply outsource Amarok development and manufacturing to Ford in ROW but not North America.

No doubt it’s a difficult decision to make and VW may ultimately decide it’s best suited to offer America a so-called "lifestyle” pickup like the Tarok, or what it calls the A-segment pickup.

Ford building a compact pick up in Mexico?

What VW will never do, Schaefer added, is an F-150 fighter.

"I don’t think for Volkswagen it will ever really work. F-150 has that segment sewn up so tight. And for us to try and produce a pickup – even if we match the F-150 in every single aspect - trying to conquest an F-150 customer would be stupid.”

and that's the truth.

Edited by jpd80

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Of course it's a terrible idea, after all according to C&D the Ranger is an absolute failure. 

C&D just wants to sell magazines and ads in their magazine. The ranger may not hit every target but it’s definitely a formidable player. I don’t understand all the talk about how bad the interior is. I see it no worse than it’s competition. I think it’s right in line. 

9 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

C&D just wants to sell magazines and ads in their magazine. The ranger may not hit every target but it’s definitely a formidable player. I don’t understand all the talk about how bad the interior is. I see it no worse than it’s competition. I think it’s right in line. 

1DD5D472-F148-4307-B452-326F9303877D.gif

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2019 at 2:05 PM, fordtech1 said:

Might want to send your sarcasm meter in for calibration. It's a little out of whack.

Edited by SoonerLS